PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! low end elkas vs medium works vs maier shiney plastic

Juggalo
04-12-2002, 07:48 PM
ok guys i really need some help here. i'm gonna start racin next week i think and i really would like to get some new shocks. i figure i have about 400 bucks to spend (that is if i can convince my dad to pay the money he owes me). i can get some works triple rates without rezzies or i might be able to get some double rate elkas without rezzies. jeff@quadshop, what kind of elkas can i get with 400 bucks? do you guys wanna sponser me maybe?

so i guess my first question is what would be the better choice, the elkas or the works (remember we're not talkin awesome shocks here, we're talkin bottom of the line cuz i am poor).

heres my other problem, i have 2 sets of stock front fenders and their shot. i need new plastic. i was thinkin about getting some new maeir shiny blue (yes i know i can get stock for 57 bucks and thats what i'll maybe just do). and if i got the maeir i'd get a race front (because i want no headlights for racing and cut fenders too), and i would get a standard front (because when i ride with my friends i need my lights and i like to have fenders), and i'd also pick up a set of rears as well. also i broke off one of my factory mounting brackets, does maier come with its own mounting hardwhere?

so thats my second question, should i get plastic (which i pretty much need) or shocks (i can't really get the best ones but anything is better than stock and i have a feeling my stockers are about to blow anyways with the way i jump.) because i really need shocks for racing and i don't like my stock ones hardly at all.

sorry this was so long but i'd really appreciate it if you all could help me.

Ex'r Marlin
04-13-2002, 10:27 AM
Not really knowing the state of your plastic, but hearing that you "need" new plastic, I would not hesitate getting the new plastic. Obviously, get the plastic you will enjoy having.

It sounds like a "want", but not a "need" for new aftermarket shocks.

So to answer your questions, work on your "needs" first, which would be to get you some new plastic. Your goal would be to make sure your atv is "sound" for racing, meaning everything is in great working condition/order.

Who knows, if you do good in your first race, maybe someone will sponsor you.:)

My 2 cents, hope this helps, and good luck racing!

Tommy 17
04-13-2002, 11:01 AM
personally if it was me this is what i would do...

since u need new plastic i would buy stock honda for the 57$ that will give u around 340$ left right... well then if u don't want headlight get a hood for it and cut off ur light so theres 20$ so ur down to 320$... with that 320$ u can either save and within 2 months u can have enouf for works with rezzys for 479 from marcums or u can save for probably 2 weeks and get works with out rezzy for 379 from marcums... thats what iw ould do if i was u...

04-13-2002, 04:38 PM
u can sell your computer and buy the shocks and the plastics and maybe have some money left over to build a computer

250rmike
04-13-2002, 10:07 PM
heres what I would do. I would go to www.moto-man.com and get some works tripple rate fronts without resis for 359.99 and get some stock plastic for 57 and just leave the headlight pod how it is without lights. then you will have both for around the price you wanted to spend

Juggalo
04-13-2002, 10:15 PM
jeff from the qaudshop has me about talked into some elka triple rates without rezzies. i know i could get the works for cheaper but i think i'll be happier in the long run.

heres the deal with the plastic, both of the very front mounting tabs are broken off the original plastic i got on it. also the mounting bracket broke (i duct taped it and it seems like a decent temporary fix) but i notice theres a big crack forming in the tab now too so when that finally gives i'll have one thing holding my plastic on. with my other set i already only have 1 thing holding them on. so bascially both sets are shot.

as for my shocks i feel that i do need new ones because my stockers are probably gonna blow soon (i'm surprised they lasted this long actually) and their much too bouncy. my shocks are really whats limiting me from stepping up to the next level i feel. so i think i'm gonna go with the new shocks and rig up some way to keep the plastic goin (yes i've tried welding the tabs back on and they all cracked off again).

04-14-2002, 08:03 AM
how much is he going to sell you the elkas for juggalo?

Juggalo
04-14-2002, 11:01 AM
451.25 for the triple rate economys

400exBro
04-14-2002, 11:30 AM
for that price you can get works triple rate w/rezzies from hy tech atv.
Bro

Juggalo
04-14-2002, 08:27 PM
yeah but i figure i'll just upgrade to rezzies and stuff later on, or do you guys think thats a bad idea? i'm not gonna be doin a whole lot of racin until i get a job so i don't know if i really need the adjustablility and rezzies just yet anyways.

PoopOna400EX
04-14-2002, 10:53 PM
I personally went with the Elka Triple Rates, haven't received them yet, but went w/o rezzies and w/o adjustment. If I need to add these later, I can. In either case, I think I got a solid shock in the Elka's, everyone seems overly pleased with them. And people who have had both the works and the Elka's, definitely preferred the Elka's. I also went with the Mac-Daddy rebuild on the rear.

Just my thoughts...I purchased mine from Jeff at the quadshop, I'll let you know when I get them...

~Jason

Juggalo
04-14-2002, 10:55 PM
thanks

ChadEXer
04-15-2002, 10:32 AM
Dude,, Triple rate Works w\o rezzies are $319 from marcums. i dont know where these guys are getting $379!! Get plastic AND shocks!!!!

Pepto_Bismol
04-15-2002, 05:22 PM
Hey, for your first season, you don't really need rezzies unless you think your going to be racing on the track for an hour straight, which is highly unlikey!!!! Dude, most of us practice for about 20 minutes at a time, then rest (and let the quad rest) so the shocks themselves don't see any real heat. Even here in AZ, where the temp gets to about 115 to 125 during the summer. ( Hit 100 yesterday). If you can swing it, I would go for the Elkas here's why: The Standard non-rezzy shock is the same shock housing, shaft, and internal componants they use to build thier higher end shocks with. That means you get the 5\8 shaft, anodized aluminum..ect. Plus, at ANYTIME in the future, you can change (add on) to rezzies, long travel, SSD... ect. for any riding configuration you want. The works triple rate with rezzies aren't a bad shock, but if you buy them, that's what you get...period. My friend just got his 400ex, and since he's seen mine in action, he's going to buy the Elkas standard shocks for now, and add on to them later. (I've had my Elka's since January) This is just my opinion though..so good luck!!!
Pepto:cool:
Check out my ok, medium sized jump (thanks to Elkas):

mrusk
04-15-2002, 05:52 PM
I'd go with the elkas. They gotta be way better than the works. I went with Elka's and ordered them for CD. I still not have recived them. Tommoro will be 4 weeks. Suppozively they were shipped last friday, the week b4 last. Kolby at CD tried to get the tracking # today but the secertary at elka that handles that was not there. So i got to wait till tommror for the #. If the shocks are lost i will be pissed!! I dont know what i will do.

matt

400exBro
04-15-2002, 07:01 PM
I think that works shock will work for you if you are not racing, if oyu just screw around and do tricks go with works or even a little c class racing the works will hold up for you, i know they will for me but i got rezzies, hopefully they will be here soom, the wait is so long rrrrrr.:(
Bro

PoopOna400EX
04-15-2002, 09:56 PM
Pepto, looks like you got some major air in those pictures...did you endo? Looks like you're coming into flat ground pretty steep...just curious...

Do you have pictures posted anywhere else? Maybe larger photos?

~Jason

killerkx327
04-16-2002, 12:39 PM
hey jiggalo,
get the shocks then bring your quad over for a little tweaking and we can race cut the front fenders.
since this will be your first year racing save your money on more important items like tires,nerfs,tether switch,riding gear.and forget the plastic ,cause chances are you're going to break some in your first year and there is no reason buying nw plastic just to look good.you'll look better being in first place with a beat up looking quad then in last place with a pretty quad.:huh

250rmike
04-16-2002, 01:10 PM
i thought the economys were dual rate?

Pepto_Bismol
04-16-2002, 02:09 PM
Poop..Is the picture dark? (It shows up real dark on my work PC) but no, I didn't endo, I landed just at the bottom of the downslope of the jump. I suppose it looks like I'm landing on the flat, but if you follow the sequence of events, you can see that there is a small table top in the foreground(where the dirtbike is in the first two pics). I'm jumping the table-top behind it. I do have more pics, but not posted. Those are actually still shots of a video of me riding a local supercross track. Hopefully, I will have the video in the proper format to submit to Leo soon and he can post it. I will post some other pics soon though, more on the supercross, and then some on the regular MX track.

BTW, 250rmike the economy shocks are dual rate, but the "Recreactional" ATV replacement shocks made by Elka are the triple rates.

Pepto:cool:

PoopOna400EX
04-16-2002, 02:53 PM
Pepto, a little dark, but still cool picturse...definitely some major air. Can't wait to see the video, and I can't wait to get my Elka's :)

I also just ordered some AC Racing Pro-Pegs...

I sure am burning a hole in my wallet...lol

~Jason

250rmike
04-16-2002, 03:00 PM
I was looking at elka but i wanted tripple rate and didnt want to spend a bundle. can i have some info on the shocks? you said they only cost 451.25? thanks alot.

Juggalo
04-16-2002, 07:52 PM
killerkx, i've already got AC pro peg nerfs, and a pro design kil switch. but yeah i do need to get some pants and new gloves and some tires too. i need to get new plastic now tho since i destroyed my stock stuff today when i crashed over a rythem section. i overshot the first double and slammed into the next one and then flew over that one and slammed into the landing. this made my nuts slam into the gas tank just about and my legs just came out and kicked the plastic right off. all the mounts are snapped off and everything. so i guess i'm gonna get some maier shiny and the shocks will have to wait a while. i might have enough money left after i buy plastic to get some new rear tires my fronts are pretty good still. but yeah i wanna come over cuz i have some other stuff i'd like ya to help me with on my quad. i'll probably buy a brake block off too.