PDA

View Full Version : Converted Frame vs. Aftermarket Frame

Atreyu
10-11-2004, 02:33 PM
Well I'm going to biuld a CRF of YZ quad this winter. I've been looking around at my options and I'd like to know the difference between a converted frame (such ats ATV FourPlay) or an aftermarket (ie:arens, LSR). Obviosly the aftermarkets will be stronger, but is it necessary? Will a converted frame crack easily?

Link to ATV FourPlay's conversion- http://www.atvfourplay.com/services/index.htm

Dave400ex
10-11-2004, 09:26 PM
JB Racing did some good conversion frames for those motors. Of course you could just get a Walsh CRF frame! :eek2:

markk
10-13-2004, 12:52 PM
Thats an awsome sight, I dont know anything about this subject, But good luck with the build up man!!!!!

TC426EX
10-15-2004, 07:21 AM
I wasnt aware ATV fourplay did the conversion but theyre a reputable company. I have seen more JB Racing and ECATV conversion frames than anything else. JB is the best value and top quality. I would do the conversion and save about 2500 over a new frame. It has to be done right by a good proven company though because there are alot of potential problems and headaches that can be associated with the conversion if its not done properly.

muff
10-15-2004, 07:41 AM
you first have to realize the HUGE differences between stock and aftermarket frames built for a crf

yes you save money like tc426ex is sayin, but if you are building from the ground up, and have a good stack of funds, aftermarket is the only way to go.

i wouldnt say that the stock frame would easily crack, but with the aftermarket frames you'll get much better suspension and an incredible handleing quad. just a few features to look at with walsh:
-removable frame rail, allows for easy motor removal
-adjustable front shock towers. instead of having the long travel in the a-arms, the frame is designed for them, so you can run the flattie walsh a-arms and not have to run some crazy bend a-arms to achieve LT.
-longer travel rear end (i believe) i've seen a few of these run and they ride so smooth through the rough stuff. PEP would also outfit the quad nicely
-250r geometery (the best out there)

now if you already had a decent 400ex and wanted to be able to use your current parts, then walsh would not be such a good choice because you could use very little. arens (not a good choice) and lonestar both make frames that can utilize the ex components

JDiablo
10-15-2004, 07:41 AM
what kind of geometry will you be using? 400ex or 250r? what ever you do.dont go with a arens frame,i did a thread on this awhile back,do a search for "aftermarket 400ex frames" i think it is called,anyway i would hit up a aftermarket frame if you can get it,walsh are about 3grand for there frames,i think you should just do the conversion for now.Then once money comes in get a aftermarket one if you think it is needed

muff
10-15-2004, 07:49 AM
i forgot to mention, try looking around for some used crfs, they've been going for quite cheap :eek:

JDiablo
10-15-2004, 08:58 AM
hey muff dont you usally have a couple for sale??

muff
10-15-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by 300exrida
hey muff dont you usally have a couple for sale??

nah i've never owned one. i know who your thinkin of but i forgot his screen name

JDiablo
10-15-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by muff
nah i've never owned one. i know who your thinkin of but i forgot his screen name

ahh yea my bad 416ex-mx it is

Atreyu
10-15-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
what kind of geometry will you be using? 400ex or 250r? what ever you do.dont go with a arens frame,i did a thread on this awhile back,do a search for "aftermarket 400ex frames" i think it is called,anyway i would hit up a aftermarket frame if you can get it,walsh are about 3grand for there frames,i think you should just do the conversion for now.Then once money comes in get a aftermarket one if you think it is needed

I'm gonna be using 400ex geometry since I just got houser LT's, and swingarm. If Igo aftermarket I'll probably be using LSR. If I do comversion, I'll probably be getting the ATV-Fourplay.

What's wrong with Arens CRF frames? I've heard that arens customer service sucks the schwartzen schvanz..but are their products bad?

Thanks for all the help fellers.

JDiablo
10-15-2004, 02:22 PM
nothing lines up i the frame i heard from numerous people,i would just stay away from there products:o