PDA

View Full Version : hotcam stage 2 question

quadkrazy400ex
10-11-2004, 11:49 AM
i put in a hotcam stage 2 in my 400ex along with a 416 kit. mods in signature.

and ive noticed a lot of ticking comming from the cam/valves, when i put it together i had them adjusted right, and ive checked them once after break in. even when their adjusted properly there is alot of noise comming from that area, enough to hear over engine at idle. would adjusting the valves a little tighter than what is recommended by hocam help any? i hate having little noises here and there, and im trying to figure out what would help. and its not an exhaust leak.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
10-11-2004, 03:46 PM
make sure they are adjusted correct which sounds like you have but an any aftermarket cam will make valve terrain noise. :)

quadkrazy400ex
10-11-2004, 05:16 PM
ya, their right at hotcam specifications on valve lash, but im wondering if i adjust them a little tighter than recommended if itll help any.

Glamis400ex
10-11-2004, 06:25 PM
1) it's a 4 stroke

2) you have an aftermarket cam...it's louder than normal.

Adjust to specified lash and ride the darn thing.

Glamis

frogburner
10-11-2004, 07:00 PM
They are louder,, I had stage one,, then stripped the slplines on the cam,, then I went to stage 2 and never liked it until i changed the pilot in the stock carb.. But now have FCR 39... Those cams always click like that,, I think alot of it has to do with the stock springs,, but I guess I wil find out,, cause I am building a 440 and have black diamond valve springs... I am hoping to hop it up enough for sand drag racing here in MO.. But you know what they say... if you cant run with the big dogs, then stay at the house....

quadkrazy400ex
10-11-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Glamis400ex
1) it's a 4 stroke

2) you have an aftermarket cam...it's louder than normal.

Adjust to specified lash and ride the darn thing.

Glamis

1) no ***** its a 4 stroke, but it never ticked stock so why would that matter...anyway...2 strokes dont have cams!! :macho

2) im wondering if it would help any to adjust them a little tighter than specs, so i dont waste my time takin it apart

Glamis400ex
10-11-2004, 08:18 PM
All I meant was 4 stroke are always louder than 2 strokes....nature of the beast. They don't call em' thumpers for nothing.

Ya know what... why don't you try a little tighter and post the results....and then you'll know why.

You're riding a screaming thumper and a little valve tick is setting you off??? Listen to what others who have been there before you are saying...it's 100% completely normal to have a little valve ticking with a hotcam 2.

Glamis

mojoe2878
10-11-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Glamis400ex
All I meant was 4 stroke are always louder than 2 strokes....nature of the beast. They don't call em' thumpers for nothing.

Ya know what... why don't you try a little tighter and post the results....and then you'll know why.

You're riding a screaming thumper and a little valve tick is setting you off??? Listen to what others who have been there before you are saying...it's 100% completely normal to have a little valve ticking with a hotcam 2.

Glamis

mine ticks a lot because of the cam. all my four strokes do, and its just the cam and chain noise, nothin wrong with em.

if you tighten them rockers up too much your gonna be buyin new ones and taken it apart to replace broken rocker arms wether you want to or not.

foleyit
10-11-2004, 10:20 PM
Yep,

I've got 416 w/Stg. 2 with FCR carb and it ticks too. I was told by Hotcams and other builders that is normal But I don't hear it too often because I'm normally on the throttle, and then all I hear is that WB R-4 Pro meg. :D

cals400ex
10-12-2004, 01:22 AM
from the aftermarket cams i have experience with, the stage 2 is the quietest and the stage 1 is the loudest. my TC mx grind is right inbetween. go a bit tighter on the clearances. i always ran a snug .005 and .006 with that cam. my buddy said his was actually quieter than stock. mine seemed about the same as stock where the TC makes more racket and the stage 1 you can hear for sure.

quadkrazy400ex
10-12-2004, 10:41 AM
well i think ill set them a little tighter and see what happend because right now its very loud