PDA

View Full Version : Remove Choke And Adj Needle

Honda Guy
04-12-2002, 07:24 PM
Can someone tell me how to adjust the needle on a 400EX carb and how to remove the choke? I might need the dummy version.

400exJOE
04-12-2002, 07:45 PM
Well I haven't removed my choke yet, but as for the needle, I'll do my best. What I do is remove the carb from the bike and put it on an uncluttered, clean work bench. Then, remove the top triangle shaped plate. I really recomend tapping on the screw driver w/ a hammer when taking out all the carb screws so they don't strip out on you. Also, a magnet stick or magnet tool can be real helpful. Next, you will see an "arm" reaching down into the carb. Undo the arm at the top. Its the big screw. Another tip: the arm is screwed into that bar which is spring loaded. It wont shute out or anything, but it is hard to put back together because the bar moves when the screw is removed. To move the bar back, take off the black side cover of the carb and just push it back to where it lines up.(I know thats confusing, but you will see what I mean when you go to put it back together). Next, pull the arm up and out of the way. Deep in the carb you will see two little screws screwed into the bottom. Undo them and pull it out. Then you can pull the whole thing out. The needle is in the bottom of it. As for adjusting the needle (which controls fuel mixture for the mid-range) lowering the clip toward the pointed end of the needle richens the mixture and vise-versa. Hope that helps and isn't too confusing. Also, If you rmove your choke you are going to want to increase you r pilot jet to a 42 probably.

Tlongs400
04-12-2002, 09:58 PM
why would u have to change the pilot jet?(not sure what the pilot is or what it is 4)

400exJOE
04-13-2002, 09:26 AM
The pilot jet controls how much fuel you get from 0-1/4 throttle. If you remove your choke, you need a richer mixture. A 42 is recommended when u remove your choke. Pump the throttle 3 times and fire it up!

RED121572
04-13-2002, 12:30 PM
Ole Joe has hit it right on the money!!

Im gonna be a smart a** and put my two cts in worth. You dont have to remove the carb from the bike to access the needle. :blah

Red Rooster
04-13-2002, 04:15 PM
Good jod on the instructions, Joe!!! Thats very well written.