PDA

View Full Version : I need some tips to launching my 440...

Screamin440
10-10-2004, 09:50 PM
Guys, I know I can beat my friend's 660R Raptor but the problem is I can't do anything until I get into 3rd gear. Everytime we race, he puts 10 quad lengths on me until I get into 3rd and then I start to reel him in.

I've tried launching softly and then rolling into the throttle. That ended up with my front end 3 feet off the ground.

I tried launching hard into 2nd and that had the same results as the above.

I tried launching hard into 1st and then short shifting into second and then short shifting again into 3rd. This has yielded my best result so far as it allowed me to catch back up to him by the time 4th gear was up. I know I can walk him in 5th gear but I've got reduce the space he puts in between us before I can get into the middle of 3rd.

Any ideas on what I can do? I'm a 165lb rider so weight placement is definitely an issue and I'm working on that. I know I need to get rid of these 20" holeshots and get some 22s and that might help with the nasty gearing ratio in first and second.

HONDA_RIDER250
10-10-2004, 10:12 PM
What about going with a bigger sprocket?

markk
10-11-2004, 12:25 PM
this might work iono, Start out in 1st gear and rev to the moon, then slip out the clutch untill u start to move, (while keeping your N*TS on the tank) Then never let out of the throttle, Pull the clutch in and dump it into 2nd, and do the same thing going into 3rd!!, Iono if this will help but thats my start procedure for our H.S. starts!!!! And im always in the top 10!!

tprender
10-11-2004, 04:45 PM
Try a 16T front sproket, you are getting beat because of the stock low gearing of the 400ex. Or maybe try taking off in 2nd and see what happens. Just some ideas.

Screamin440
10-11-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by tprender
Try a 16T front sproket, you are getting beat because of the stock low gearing of the 400ex. Or maybe try taking off in 2nd and see what happens. Just some ideas.

Since I bought this quad with the mods already done I'm not sure if the sprockets have been changed or not. What are the factory sprocket tooth counts front and rear?

NTPRacing#19
10-11-2004, 06:57 PM
revvin your motor to the moon and dumping the clutch wont get you anywhere but buyin more tires. once you learn what gear you can get most power the ground with the most forward movement youll smoke him. you can have all the power in the world but if you spin the tires you aint going anywhere. if you think your motor is too low of a bog for what gear its in at the start, well you might be mistakin, these motors are TOURQE monsters so let it bog and grab traction then once you get goin good enough let her scream.

Screamin440
10-11-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by NTPRacing#19
revvin your motor to the moon and dumping the clutch wont get you anywhere but buyin more tires. once you learn what gear you can get most power the ground with the most forward movement youll smoke him. you can have all the power in the world but if you spin the tires you aint going anywhere. if you think your motor is too low of a bog for what gear its in at the start, well you might be mistakin, these motors are TOURQE monsters so let it bog and grab traction then once you get goin good enough let her scream.

It may have come off sounding like I'm trying to rev this thing all the way out but I'm not. I know these things make torque and not top end horsepower so I'm keeping this thing in the RPM range that it likes. When I said I'm launching it hard, I meant that I'm not slipping the clutch and I'm not rolling into the throttle.

I'm not spinning the tires at all considering I'm having a real problem keeping the front end down. Once I'm able to keep the front end down I'll be able to beat him. It's kind of hard to give it more throttle when the quad is at a 45 degree angle.

muff
10-12-2004, 08:47 PM
try startin in second and not dumpin the clutch :cool: you want to have a little clutch control to get the power goin to your wheels, but not so much that it just pops the quad straight up

Screamin440
10-12-2004, 08:55 PM
Do you guys think if I went one tooth up in the front it would help on keeping my launches under control?

One thing I am going to try doing when I drag race anymore is stand up on the quad and put my body out over the front end and just put my stomach on the tank.

Also, I have 20" Holeshots on it now and I'm thinking about switching to 22s. Will this make a big enough of a difference in my gearing to compensate for not touching the front sprocket?

tprender
10-13-2004, 07:29 AM
Stay with the 20" tires. If anything try some 18" tires. Stock gearing on a 400 is 15/38. Some riders think that going lower on the gearing will help, but it makes the lower gears to low. This is why they have to start in a higher gear. You should be able to just lean over the tank and work the clutch to keep it on the ground. If it comes up to much you are in to low of a gear.

sharkinthepool
10-13-2004, 11:46 AM
Dude Put that thing in 2nd gear and peg it. When you guys take off be on the shifter and you should have no problems whipping that craptor.

10-13-2004, 01:29 PM
the ex is not geared low stock

Screamin440
10-13-2004, 07:22 PM
I hope you guys don't take this the wrong way but I really wish you guys would read my first post closely. I said I tried launching in 2nd and my front end still stood up like crazy. No matter if I launch in 1st or 2nd my front end still stands up far enough that I can't give it full throttle without standing it on the grab bar.

I was wanting to go a tooth higher in the front and a tooth lower in the back in order to bring my gear ratio up. With the motor work and the 20" Holeshots 1st gear is too steep for trail riding and 2nd gear is too shallow and it bogs when I'm trying to follow people on a trail. I figured if I made 1st a little more shallow it might help with the launching problems as well as the trail riding problems.

If I choose to not do a sprocket swap will going to 22" tires compensate for not doing the swap?

zuzzu
10-13-2004, 08:50 PM
ok here goes...

b4 u start the race have the clutch pulled out all the way just enough so it grabs a little. hold the front brake. rev it up to the point where it goes and doesn't spin the tires when you let go of the brake. your tires won't spin they should grab and you should be ahead of the raptor ...

sharkinthepool
10-14-2004, 05:15 AM
Dam man I do not know what to tell you... has you swinger been shortened?

I ran a 440 national set-up for the past 3 years. Full blown as much as you can get out of a 440. Balanced crank and rod. Carillo rod 440 j/e 13.25:1 piston stage 2 hot cam 42mm cr carb this thing would flat out run anything and still holds its own against the hopped up 450's.

Every race I left the gates in 2nd gear on the stock rev limiter. No problem. Pulled most of the hole shots too. Never have I stood up on the rears.

How are you launching? What surface are you on? Your 20's should not make a diff. if anything they are keeping it from rapping out quicker. are you up over the handle bars? or are you sitting on the seat?

All of this makes a huge diff in your launch.

Screamin440
10-14-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by sharkinthepool
Dam man I do not know what to tell you... has you swinger been shortened?

I ran a 440 national set-up for the past 3 years. Full blown as much as you can get out of a 440. Balanced crank and rod. Carillo rod 440 j/e 13.25:1 piston stage 2 hot cam 42mm cr carb this thing would flat out run anything and still holds its own against the hopped up 450's.

Every race I left the gates in 2nd gear on the stock rev limiter. No problem. Pulled most of the hole shots too. Never have I stood up on the rears.

How are you launching? What surface are you on? Your 20's should not make a diff. if anything they are keeping it from rapping out quicker. are you up over the handle bars? or are you sitting on the seat?

All of this makes a huge diff in your launch.

I start out in a "getting ready to hit a jump" stance with my knees gripping the side of the seat and my knees bent. As soon as I actually launch and get past 1st gear, I straighten my body out and put more weight over the front of the bars.

I know I need to work on my launch more but it just amazes me that with all of the motor work I have done, a stock Z400 can pull the holeshot and beat me in a drag until I hit 5th gear.

sharkinthepool
10-15-2004, 05:19 AM
No man. When I am at a gate. I have my body pushed up on the tank (so I can watch the gate better). Bike in 2nd, on the limiter. When the gate drops the clutch drops! Body forward through second. When third is hit I slide my weight to the rear of the seat almost like a crotch rocket to ad the additional weight to the back tires.
I am not saying my way is the best way and I know it is not the worst way, after 8 out of the past 15 races of pulling the holeshot (against other 440's, and 450 both trx and yzf's) I must be doing something correct.

Like Digger Doug says: "you need handle bar time to find YOUR style"
trust me you got the motor to out run a craptor you just have to find the happy medium between you and your bike.