PDA

View Full Version : How to take off axle

DangerousDean
10-09-2004, 08:38 PM
OK, need to replace my axle bearings

Dont know how to get axle out, I know the big nut is reverse tread but it wont budge (its all the way to the right already i think :confused: )

but how do I get the nut off the axle ?

j753301
10-09-2004, 09:00 PM
i just did this today to replace the rotor and carrier,you need to loosen the thin nut first toward the center ,then turn the big one in to the center of the axle,remember if your behind the quad turn the top of the nut toward you,i had to used a 3 foot breaker bar to get it loose,after you move them to the center it should reveal the metal ring.then take the metal ring off in the groove,then everything should slide right off. oh dont forget you have to take the wheel and hub off too.the hardest part is getting that thin nut to budge,i had to use a giant pair off slip lock pliers and a piece of pipe on the end.wedge something in the chain so the tire doesnt spin too.hope this helps...

markk
10-09-2004, 09:10 PM
take the slim (jam nut) and back it all the way twards the rotor, Then take the big axle nut and your gona push your wrench down twards the ground to loosen it. Back it all the way back as far as u can.
You will then see a little sir-clip on the axle, get a couple little flat tip screw drivers, and pry that clip outa the groove in the axle. Before the nut/ring/and rotor will come off the axle, You will need to remove the right side rear hub. Then u will need a 6mm allen wrench and a 17mm socket, and then i take my sprocket off with the chain attached, After u get all the bolts outa the sprocket, turn in a little bit, and remove the chain from the sprocket, and slide it OVER the left side hub.

Then i Put my axle nut back onto the right side of the axle, Then i get a nice big peice of wood, and a BFH (big ol hammer) and hit the wood a few times and the axle will slide a little ways threw, Then take and wiggle it out the rest of the way.,

Then loosen ur carrier, And slide it out twards the left!

Now here comes the real trick, Things that i use are a VISE/BIG SOCKET,WITH EXTENSION/HAMMER/ AND i use a Torpedo heater, and heat up my carrier pretty hot where u cant touch it with your hands, and then hurry up and put it in the vise and a few nice hitts with the hammer, and the bearings should just fall out, (during this whole period, U should have had your new bearings sitting in the freezer getting cold)

then i clean up my carrier, and look at it to make sure eveything is in TIP TOP shape, Then i reheat the carrier, and hurry up and put it into the vise, and Then grab your frozen bearings, and they should just Slide right in!!! They might take a few very very soft taps with a small hammer (rember just hit them in evenly)
If u run into a problem just PM me and ill walk u threw it!!!!

R3Concepts
10-09-2004, 09:20 PM
Plasma cutter.

DangerousDean
10-09-2004, 09:43 PM
yeah.. the only thing we didnt get was the axle nut

so it goes all the way to the brake rotor.. take off the clip, and take it off :???: :)

Steve-o 400EX
10-10-2004, 12:44 AM
I just had this problem, my bearings went and took out my axle, carrier and everything else back there. I just got my carrier off of ebay and am winning a bid on an axle. It kinda sucks but its what needs to be don, make sure there is no damage to your stock components or you will be doing the same thing again in a month. I learned the hard way, hopefully you won't have to. Just keep screwing with the axle and you will finally figure it out, its the only way you will learn is to do things on your own. That is how i learned a lot, just take your time and if you are mechanically inclined at all, you will figure it out.

DangerousDean
10-10-2004, 12:39 PM
so ****
got the carrier out, but when i was taking it out i ripped one of the o-ring (seal things) that is on the outside of the carrier....

i can still leave it on right ? even though its ripped?

markk
10-10-2004, 11:16 PM
I didnt think those where all that serious to be honest with u, But if u feel that u need it, I would think that your local dealer could order one some, Or u might be able to get a seal from another factory!!!

DangerousDean
10-10-2004, 11:51 PM
ok

one last question before i put it back together

I got the bearings in.

But now the seals that go over the bearings ... how far do you press them in ? all the way intill they touch the bearing? or jsut to the edge of the carrier ?