PDA

View Full Version : 450r and YFZ handling (comparison not vs.)

Southtown00
10-09-2004, 07:06 PM
Hey I was just wondering how the r feels handling wise to the yfz. I have ridden the yamaha and seen the hondas and i like the looks of the way the honda handles over the yfz (for my type of riding) but am wondering how it feels. I know it will feel taller, but I found it strange that the actual specs and when i looked at them back to back at the dealer that the R is slightly wider. I always though the yfz was wider by at least an inch.

Scottie Mac
10-10-2004, 09:32 AM
The TRX has that classic "Honda" feel. It "feels" similar to the 400ex, although much more comfortable in my opinion. It does feel taller, but not as bad as some people would like you to believe. It is has a much more comfortable riding position if you are a trail rider. It turns well, slides pretty easy, although it doesn't have the point and go feel of the YFZ.

The YFZ is a great motocrosser, that is what it is designed for. It can be made into an adequate trail machine, but it is really out of its "comfort zone". Where the Yamaha is a better MX machine than the Honda, the Honda is a better trail machine than the Yamaha.

No quad is perfect. Each has its strong and weak points. Figure out what your main type of riding is and go with the one that is best designed for that.

Good luck,
Scott

haydug
10-10-2004, 06:18 PM
He pretty much summed it up. The Honda IMO has a "lazy" feel to it. I don't like the rear suspension on the Honda, I have tried adjusting until I'm blue in the face, and can't get it to work. It with kicks violently or if you soften it up, it will not hook up, wants to scate across everything. Not saying the yamaha is perfect either. It has a definate point and shoot attitude, and isn't as plush as the honda. If you are taller, you will like the honda better. I describe the honda 450(stock) as a 400ex, with a 440 kit and pipe and a decent set of shocks.

Jekyl_22
10-11-2004, 12:30 PM
I've never riden a Honda 450, but I have a YFZ and can definetly say that it is an awesome trail machine. It's not the most comfortable ride out there, but I didn't buy a 450 to be comfortable. And as for the Honda being a better tail machine... I think that probably depends on how hard you ride. Aggressive riders will probably like the YFZ better. I think about every magazine has said that the YFZ is faster everywhere (even in the woods), but they are both good choices. Either one is better than what the starving kids in Ethiopia have, so be thankful.

MY450R
10-12-2004, 10:42 AM
starving kids??:huh
if they really want to eat a quad then i say let em have it:p

Shuee_400
10-18-2004, 01:41 PM
I guess you could say it use to be the fastest in the woods untill Borich got on a 450R. If your a taller lanky person your most likely going to feel more comfortable on the R.

jb500ex
10-19-2004, 06:24 PM
the r has a better front end stears better not twitchy like the yfz, the rear takes a little adjusting to get it where you would like. by this time next year the 450r will be winning most of the shootouts alot of peoples opinions are already changing on the 2 quads

Shawn H
10-19-2004, 07:14 PM
Jb500ex

that is so True :)

4StrokeThunder
10-21-2004, 10:53 AM
The 450r's are having head and valve problems... Most of the guys that race the honda's are having all kinds of head work and stuff done this winter and the Yamaha 450 guys like myself are not. I had heard several people say stuff about the A-arms bending and breaking on the 450r's also. The other two guys on my race team ran sock A-arms this season for XC and they are both replacing both lower A-arms over the winter. One of the guys had one side break in half already... Not to say that the YFZ 450 is perfect.. they have problems also: Battery, Waterpump seals, ect. It just seems like the Honda's are having much more costly problems.

Toadz400
10-21-2004, 11:12 AM
I don't see how anyone thinks the 450R feels anything like the 400EX. Feels a lot taller and everything else is just so much different. I prefer the feel of my 400ex over the R, I just feel a lot more comfortable going into a sharp corner faster and not worrying about tipping over (even though they don't really have that problem).

400grl
10-21-2004, 01:03 PM
Ummmm...the Yamaha is not twitchy in the front AT ALL......I have had mine for a while, and don't run a dampner or anything....it's super easy to track when you punch it....makes holeshots tons of fun!! :) I'm also 5'10" - not a shorty - and I feel fine on my Yami. I think it would make a great trail quad, too - my only beef is the seat....but then....it wasn't made to be sat on! :) I still haven't gotten a ride on a 450R, though......so.....I can't comment on that.

freakystone
10-22-2004, 08:51 AM
Hmmm, it is so hard to make a post and not sound biased.

I have countless hours on my YFZ and about 10 hours on a 450R. The 450R is a great quad. Excellent trail quad, but electric start was greatly missed. It felt very similar to a 400EX to me.

The YFZ on the other hand is not as conducive to technical trail riding as the 450R for beginner to average riders. But for the more experienced rider will go faster and better appreciate the YFZ for just about any type of riding as compared to the 450R.

IMO.

SRH
10-23-2004, 10:36 AM
yfz front end is twitchy, they have alot of bumpsteer and dart around alot, thats fixed with a 35 dollar steering stem bottom and a damper

400grl
10-23-2004, 10:59 AM
I call BS.....I race mine with stock suspension......there is nothing twitchy about the front end.......at least no more than any other quad.....it feels wide, low and stable - even right out of the box.

SRH
10-23-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by 400grl
I call BS.....I race mine with stock suspension......there is nothing twitchy about the front end.......at least no more than any other quad.....it feels wide, low and stable - even right out of the box.

:huh how do you call bs? dont you guys have breaking bumps and holes in arizona

why do you think most pros run 2 damper or some 500-600 dollar setups?

tires can help some so maybe thats why you didnt notice

coming from a 400ex to a yfz you notice the bumpsteer or you should...

Toadz400
10-23-2004, 01:22 PM
I'm with 400grl, I never thought the YFZ had a twitchy front end. The YFZ I rode had stock suspension and a-arms also, with no dampeners or other modifications. In a lot of ways I thought the YFZ was a lot better over the R, just seemed like they could've done a much better job with it being that they supposedly were working on it longer and plus they released it after the YFZ.

SRH
10-23-2004, 09:49 PM
i guess it depends on riding ability

Toadz400
10-23-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by SRH
i guess it depends on riding ability

Yea, you should probably practice more ;) :eek2: .

SRH
10-24-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Yea, you should probably practice more ;) :eek2: .

i guess

Got nads?
10-24-2004, 07:42 PM
My personal opinion is that if you are coming off a 400Ex the 450R will probably be more comfortable, but if you are coming of the 250R a YFZ450 would be more to your stlye of riding. As for against each other I feel that once you get used to any machine and you are pretty good rider, you will always be on top of your game. I have a 450R and my twin brother has a YFZ and we are practically the same dimensions, both pretty good riders(ride hard) and it is usually a toss up on the track as to who is front. :D

400grl
10-25-2004, 10:52 AM
SRH - yes, we have HUGE holes here - as a matter of fact our tracks lately have been resembling Glen Helen on a bad day!! LOL!! :) ;) I just taco'd a rear rim in one of the craters I "discovered"! :)

I do get ALOT of bumpsteer - I don't run a dampner or anything (cuz I'm broke!)....but strangely enough, not as much as my set-up 440.........I mean....every quad will get bumpsteer, that is just how it goes......the point I was trying to make is when you say the front end is "twitchy" - to me that means it's unstable and wants to wander alot at high speeds....such as holeshots, drags, etc........in which case, I had to argue, because the YFZ is extremely stable at higher speeds.....it inspires confidence even in a chicken like me! :)

So......that's all - I think we were talking about different things! :)

I am going to actually buy a dampner someday.......until then my forearms are going to get a workout, I'm afraid! :)

SRH
10-27-2004, 09:50 PM
SRH - yes, we have HUGE holes here - as a matter of fact our tracks lately have been resembling Glen Helen on a bad day!! LOL!! :) ;) I just taco'd a rear rim in one of the craters I "discovered"! :)

I do get ALOT of bumpsteer - I don't run a dampner or anything (cuz I'm broke!)....but strangely enough, not as much as my set-up 440.........I mean....every quad will get bumpsteer, that is just how it goes......the point I was trying to make is when you say the front end is "twitchy" - to me that means it's unstable and wants to wander alot at high speeds....such as holeshots, drags, etc........in which case, I had to argue, because the YFZ is extremely stable at higher speeds.....it inspires confidence even in a chicken like me! :)

So......that's all - I think we were talking about different things! :)

I am going to actually buy a dampner someday.......until then my forearms are going to get a workout, I'm afraid! :)

i see what you mean, before i got my damper if i was on the front brakes hard coming down a hill the bars would whip out of my hands at times it was so bad, but now its so smooth i dont even notice them, i have it as hard as it will go, only problem is its hard to turn the bars so im gonan run 2 dampers on 2 diff settings

dementedyouth55
11-07-2004, 04:04 PM
the trx's front end is too light on the track it lifts up when you come out of corners and you have to brake. The Yfz's it just perfect corners fast

khen
11-07-2004, 06:14 PM
I rode a friends YFZ for the first time in the dunes a couple of weeks back and it is fast and feels really light, but it does bump steer pretty bad and the suspension is way to harsh. I felt like I was going to lose control of it coming down sand mountain. I'm going to modify my 400ex for more power and stick with it. I like how it rides much better than the YFZ. My suspension is plusher and I really have to case a jump to bottom it out at the mx track.

Toadz400
11-07-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by khen
I rode a friends YFZ for the first time in the dunes a couple of weeks back and it is fast and feels really light, but it does bump steer pretty bad and the suspension is way to harsh. I felt like I was going to lose control of it coming down sand mountain. I'm going to modify my 400ex for more power and stick with it. I like how it rides much better than the YFZ. My suspension is plusher and I really have to case a jump to bottom it out at the mx track.

I like how you are comparing your expensive aftermarket suspension and your steering dampener to a stock YFZ...imagine how it'd be if you put that stuff on the YFZ?

khen
11-07-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
I like how you are comparing your expensive aftermarket suspension and your steering dampener to a stock YFZ...imagine how it'd be if you put that stuff on the YFZ? Even without the stabilizer the EX didn't bump steer as bad as the YFZ. I agree though that the YFZ with good suspension and stabilizer would be much better. I just ride with Yamaha guys and I get sick of hearing how much better the stock YFZ's suspension is compared to the 450R's when I don't think that's the case at all.

SRH
11-07-2004, 08:27 PM
Even without the stabilizer the EX didn't bump steer as bad as the YFZ. I agree though that the YFZ with good suspension and stabilizer would be much better. I just ride with Yamaha guys and I get sick of hearing how much better the stock YFZ's suspension is compared to the 450R's when I don't think that's the case at all.

that is the case if your on a mx track....

khen
11-07-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by SRH
that is the case if your on a mx track.... I didn't get a chance to try it on the track but based on my ride at the dunes the front shocks would be the first things to go if I bought a YFZ.

geogeorge
11-07-2004, 09:17 PM
This is a easy one.

It depends on what your use to. If you had a 250r or a 400ex thenyou will like the 450r better. you will be use to how it feels and handles.

Me, I raced banshees for 10 years in the woods (for the smart a** person reading this I won on it too) I like the power and feel of th ebanshee. The yzf feels more like my banshee with how th epower comes on and it handles alot like my banshee did. The great hing aboout the yzf is it dose all this with out me having ot put 3 grand more in it like I had to with a banshee.

At 6 foot tall I always felt crapped on the hondas. they seemed smaller it me then a banshee andthe yzf. So what had you been riding?

If you new to riding then go with the honda, the yamaha is more for people with skill and balls (sorry ladys don't mean to forget you) thats my shot at the honda rides.

There both great bikes.

Toadz400
11-07-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by geogeorge
This is a easy one.

It depends on what your use to. If you had a 250r or a 400ex thenyou will like the 450r better. you will be use to how it feels and handles.

Me, I raced banshees for 10 years in the woods (for the smart a** person reading this I won on it too) I like the power and feel of th ebanshee. The yzf feels more like my banshee with how th epower comes on and it handles alot like my banshee did. The great hing aboout the yzf is it dose all this with out me having ot put 3 grand more in it like I had to with a banshee.

At 6 foot tall I always felt crapped on the hondas. they seemed smaller it me then a banshee andthe yzf. So what had you been riding?

If you new to riding then go with the honda, the yamaha is more for people with skill and balls (sorry ladys don't mean to forget you) thats my shot at the honda rides.

There both great bikes.

I completely 100% agree with you, and for me...I have both the 400ex and the Banshee, and to tell you the truth...I ride a lot better and harder on my Banshee, even in the woods where people think it's a lost cause.

400grl
11-08-2004, 10:28 AM
Ummmm....the YFZ front shocks ARE adjustable.......and at 130lbs, I love my stock shocks. They work awesome.....they are set as soft as they can go, and my boyfriend still can't bottom them out.....but I can fly through braking bumps just as easy as I could with my Elka's......and I came off a Banshee onto the YFZ, and I agree - if you are coming off of something like the Shee, you will love the YFZ.....right off of a 400ex, you will like the 450r better. I like the punchy powerband of the YFZ......I finally rode a 450R and was surprised at how smooth the power was - it was deceptive, though - felt like I wasn't going as fast as I really was. I like the thrill of the YFZ........

khen
11-08-2004, 01:55 PM
Ummmm....the YFZ front shocks ARE adjustable.......and at 130lbs, I love my stock shocks. They work awesome.....they are set as soft as they can go, and my boyfriend still can't bottom them out.....but I can fly through braking bumps just as easy as I could with my Elka's......Yea, he had the preload all the way soft but hadn't touched the compression or rebound adjustment. I'm 200lbs and it was still to harsh for me(he's closer to 150lbs)... but if you can dial it in by tweaking the compression/rebound then I stand corrected.. I just hate it when someone brings up that the YFZ shocks are harsh and people throw out the caned answer 'that's because they're made for MX'. A good MX shock should absorb the little stuff and not bottom out on the big stuff, IMO.

SRH
11-08-2004, 05:10 PM
Yea, he had the preload all the way soft but hadn't touched the compression or rebound adjustment. I'm 200lbs and it was still to harsh for me(he's closer to 150lbs)... but if you can dial it in by tweaking the compression/rebound then I stand corrected.. I just hate it when someone brings up that the YFZ shocks are harsh and people throw out the caned answer 'that's because they're made for MX'. A good MX shock should absorb the little stuff and not bottom out on the big stuff, IMO.

yeah but if your playing around at trail riding speeds mx suspension does feel harsh,i know in the dunes you werent riding a yfz how it was designed to be, you need to take it on a mx track ,stock yfz shocks work way better than works performance and other crap shock brands if you ask me.. at normal race speed the yfz works great, and you cant beat that yz style rear suspension, its awesome

khen
11-08-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by SRH
yeah but if your playing around at trail riding speeds mx suspension does feel harsh,i know in the dunes you werent riding a yfz how it was designed to be, you need to take it on a mx track ,stock yfz shocks work way better than works performance and other crap shock brands if you ask me.. at normal race speed the yfz works great, and you cant beat that yz style rear suspension, its awesome I ride faster at the dunes than I do on the MX tracks on average. In this case I was well into 4th gear and the ride became smoother as I slowed down.. But that's cool, I'm going to a practice session at the track this week(provided it stops raining), I'll see if he'll let me give it a go around.

Back O/T.. I don't know how the 450R stock front shocks compare to my revalved 450R shocks but mine are smooth as can be through the whoops and rough stuff and I've cased some big doubles a few times and they barely bottomed once. I'm extremely impressed with them! Now I need to send in my rear shock..