PDA

View Full Version : Pep or Axis

YFZ450 Racer88
10-09-2004, 05:14 PM
Ok the Question everyone asks..lol...But not everyone asnwers, theirs more a debate over it
I want to know which shocks will work best with Lonstar DC-4 Longtravel A-Arms.

PEP or AXIS

What i want to know are the pros and cons of each shock and why you chose it.
Im realy leaning towards PEP but their such a long wait to get
and their cheaper than axis..but are they as good as axis

I never rode on either so im gonna ride both shocks before i get them but i want some good imput on each shock and which type of AXIS or PEP to buy.

Now i ride MX only so it needs to take the beating of Rausch Creek(I hit every jump up their except one) so i need good suspention

Thanks for the help!!

Scottie Mac
10-09-2004, 06:01 PM
Racer 88-

Asking which shock is best is like asking which color is the best.

Unfortunetly, when it comes to shocks, you will get a lot of "Brand X" is by far the best, you HAVE to get them over the others......

Bull$hit.

Here is the only certain thing as far as suspension goes. Axis, PEP and Elka are ALL great MX shocks. All are going to be a major improvement over stock.

I have been lucky enough to use all three companies. I started out with PEP on my 265R, then went to Axis for my Lonestar YZ and my YFZ, then my brother went with Elkas on his YFZ. My personal favorite was Axis. At first, not so, I bought the first pair from K&K and I was constantly bottoming out with a Pro Trax front end. I was to the point I was ready to sell them and go back to PEPs. Come to find out, K&K sold me a pair of shocks that were supposed to be for a 185 lbs rider, but when I had them checked, they were set up for 150 lbs. (Shocker!) Once I got the proper set up, never had a problem with them.

When I built the YFZ, I got the Roll front end and it came with Axis. They have been pretty much perfect fromt eh day I got them. My brother got a good deal on the Elkas, and even though they do not have rebound adjustment, they are pretty darn close to the Axis I have.

If I were you, I would go with whichever set up I could get for the least amount of money. PEP ZPS and Elka Quad rates (without rebound) are very close in terms of price. You will get the Elkas WAY faster though. Axis doesn't sell too many non rebound set ups. So if you go the Axis route, you will spend about 300 bucks more. I like rebound adjustment, its not that I use it that much, I just like knowing I have it if I want it. I really don't believe that one brand is all that much better/worse than the other.

Good luck,
Scott

Pappy
10-09-2004, 06:08 PM
writedown on paper what you want in a shock....then write down the prices of each company. which ever one offers the most for the money would be my pick

pnut420
10-11-2004, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Scottie Mac
Racer 88-

Asking which shock is best is like asking which color is the best.

Unfortunetly, when it comes to shocks, you will get a lot of "Brand X" is by far the best, you HAVE to get them over the others......

Bull$hit.

Here is the only certain thing as far as suspension goes. Axis, PEP and Elka are ALL great MX shocks. All are going to be a major improvement over stock.

I have been lucky enough to use all three companies. I started out with PEP on my 265R, then went to Axis for my Lonestar YZ and my YFZ, then my brother went with Elkas on his YFZ. My personal favorite was Axis. At first, not so, I bought the first pair from K&K and I was constantly bottoming out with a Pro Trax front end. I was to the point I was ready to sell them and go back to PEPs. Come to find out, K&K sold me a pair of shocks that were supposed to be for a 185 lbs rider, but when I had them checked, they were set up for 150 lbs. (Shocker!) Once I got the proper set up, never had a problem with them.

When I built the YFZ, I got the Roll front end and it came with Axis. They have been pretty much perfect fromt eh day I got them. My brother got a good deal on the Elkas, and even though they do not have rebound adjustment, they are pretty darn close to the Axis I have.

If I were you, I would go with whichever set up I could get for the least amount of money. PEP ZPS and Elka Quad rates (without rebound) are very close in terms of price. You will get the Elkas WAY faster though. Axis doesn't sell too many non rebound set ups. So if you go the Axis route, you will spend about 300 bucks more. I like rebound adjustment, its not that I use it that much, I just like knowing I have it if I want it. I really don't believe that one brand is all that much better/worse than the other.

Good luck,
Scott

Either way check out Santo Derisi. He is the best guy Ive dealt with and you know when you say you want it valved for 160 thats what you get, hes not like K and K and just making sales, he likes what he does and will do what it takes to make you happy.

sharkinthepool
10-12-2004, 05:49 AM
Man if you are serious about spending the money$. You should look at G.T. Thunder there website has Lazarus phone number on it. Give him a call he might have a set there. He changes the bottles and shafts.

As for PEP, I have a set and the problems I go through trying to get new springs and bushings for them is ridiculous!!!

Go with Axis or Elka. Heck I would even go with Works before I went with PEP again.

sharkinthepool
10-12-2004, 05:50 AM
I am sorry I should not have walked on PEP like that. But it is just impossible to get parts or to even get some type of correspondence from him.

400grl
10-12-2004, 04:38 PM
How did you walk on PEP??? That's the problem with them - availability and customer service are definately their issues......

I'd have to say Axis or Elka, because you can get them in a decent amount of time, they are great shocks, and their customer service is excellent.

R3Concepts
10-12-2004, 09:41 PM
PEP are still great shocks. Deal with Baldwin not Wayne. Wayne is getting to the point where he doesnt care anymore.

sharkinthepool
10-13-2004, 05:17 AM
I spoke to Mark Baldwin yesterday afternoon actually. He made it pretty clear that he could make something work for me if he could not get the actual pep springs.

popo
10-13-2004, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by sharkinthepool
I spoke to Mark Baldwin yesterday afternoon actually. He made it pretty clear that he could make something work for me if he could not get the actual pep springs.

I think you stated it in the past. Give Laz a call. He can get excately what you want from Euibach or other spring companies.

I had new ones in two days.

sharkinthepool
10-13-2004, 06:15 AM
Yeah I did Popo. I talked to Laz also.