PDA

View Full Version : 450r

tiger250ex
10-09-2004, 03:50 PM
my big bro rides a z400 and he met a guy with a honda 450r and he said the 450 was a whole lot faster that his z400 and the z was modified and so was his so i think the 450's are a lot faster!!!!!:eek2:

Scro
10-11-2004, 09:53 AM
and your point is.....

quadboy44
10-21-2004, 04:42 PM
yea they r a lot faster

BrandonBlackmon
10-25-2004, 12:08 PM
You are right!

2004exrider
04-24-2005, 04:29 PM
is it true that the 450's need rebuilt a lot? thats what i keep hearing, and just wondering if its a lot of BS.

thrasher_ex
04-24-2005, 05:26 PM
hondas quads last 4 ever if u keep them maintained

yammaha on the other hand lol

chigger
04-25-2005, 03:20 PM
I disagree. The 450 5 valve motors are running more rpms. You need to change the oil alot more often and should run a synthetic. (I would every 10 hours) RPMs mean death to bearings, seals, and some hard motor parts. Comparing the 450r to a z400, the z will be more "reliable". Less rebuilds, less oil changes. If you dont race it, the R will hold up pretty well though. Once you start racing, all bets are off on any motor. Constant on and off and quickly back on the power... None of them last and stay powerful and reliable for more than 400 hours of hard racing...

happyboy
04-26-2005, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by thrasher_ex

ROFL!! Another Hondaholic. You boys smoke way too much crack or just keep your quad parked in the garage! Hondas do make a great quad. I would bet one of the most reliable out there. But, like chigger said once you start pushing the quad things will break. And the more performance you squeeze out of them will yield in broken parts. Just the way it works.

I personally think that the reliablity of the quad is generally related to the owner. If you race it and park it then it will break. If you race it and work on it to maintain it and rebuild for preventative reasons then it will last and you shouldn't have too many problems.

My favorite most reliable quad. Z400. I don't see too much stuff on them having problems and the motors are more advanced than the 400ex. Liquid cooled and reverse. (new 400ex has reverse). I have a buddy that just trashes the Z400 and that thing just keeps coming back for more. But, he hasn't done any performance mods to the motor.

Any time you go up in performance you will sacrafice reliabillity. You can't push parts to their limits without reprocusions. So, depending on your riding style, speed may make a difference. generally, it doesn't matter except on the drag strip.

jeepnrocks
04-27-2005, 10:29 PM
only the yfz is 5 valve, the 450r is a 4 valve motor. I agree though, as you push a machine harder the longevity will go down. This is true of just about anything... (except people :) )

YFZ450Ridr
04-27-2005, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by thrasher_ex

i hate people like you who think honda is the best and thats it:huh

any quad will last a lifetime with proper maintence and care to it.

MR.BIG
04-30-2005, 11:25 AM
So you don't like people's opinions!

Punk'd
05-01-2005, 08:19 PM
Im a big Honda fan and have grown up on Hondas and believe they make a awesome bike and I can really careless what people think about them because all that matters is that its the bike you like and love riding.. Who cares what brand it is as long as your haveing fun riding. We all should get along its the same sport.. stop being morons.

05-09-2005, 03:46 PM
Honda engines hold up verry well, not saying that other brands dont. but I had a 9 ish hp honda engine on a sander truck. for the spreder. well it seezed up over the summer, we put a long prybar on the flywheel and broke it free. then hit the starter and ran like a champ.

chigger
05-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Ive had a very good time with all types of honda, yamaha, and kawasaki engines in the past. Ive got a pressure washer and a sewage pump with honda motors on them and Iam partial to honda for work engines, but the motors we are talking about run just a few more RPMs and put out a little more power than those engines. :D Racing a motor is very hard on it, and I think any of the big manufacturers' race engines will hold up alot the same. I dont care if its red, blue, yellow or whatever, they are built for performance more than reliability and I dont see a reason for making an argument on which is more reliable. Lets stop flaming eachothers' quads and get back on topic. :p