PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading a 400ex

Elements
10-09-2004, 02:41 PM
I've had my 400ex for a while and haven't had done any mod because of either money, or lack of time to ride. I now have both and am looking to get some stuff for it this week. Its a 2002 and is bone stock right now. I know i need new bars, because mine are bent, but not sure what else to get. I think I just want to get stuff for speed right now, and maybe some inexpensive suspension mods. I know I should get a CDI box and probably exhaust. Any suggestions as to which to get and any other mods I should look into getting this week? I have around 800-1000 to spend right now and more soon.

ReconRider25
10-09-2004, 05:23 PM
hmf slip on, dynojet jetkit, k&n w/outerwear, and run with no lid. i got big improvements over stock with this exact setup on my quad also u might wanna change the gearing i run 14/36 for fields and 14/39 for woods and drags n stuff.

TRXRacer1
10-09-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by ReconRider25
hmf slip on, dynojet jetkit, k&n w/outerwear, and run with no lid. i got big improvements over stock with this exact setup on my quad also u might wanna change the gearing i run 14/36 for fields and 14/39 for woods and drags n stuff.
What he said but that's some odd gearing.

DaleJrFan
10-09-2004, 07:51 PM
you change your front sprocket for either top end or go with a 14 tooth for the bottom end. my christmas present to myself is a set of works w/o rezzies, they are 100% better than your stock shocks and only cost around $300. you can also drop in a stg one or 2 hot cam depending on what kind of riding you do, they are cheap on e-bay. there are alot of ways to go, have fun!!

quadkrazy400ex
10-09-2004, 10:12 PM
well, getting different exhaust, i recommend yoshimura, k&n, dyno jet without airbox lid will give you a very noticable difference. thats the first thing i did, then i tore into the engine. if you want to do some engine mods go with a 416 or 426 bore kit with a hotcam. with all of that ill tell you from experience, it makes a HUGE difference. suspension is a good option too..the setup i have seems to be pretty nice, :blah: (in signature)

also if you keep the motor stock, get a 14 tooth front sprocket, itll help a bunch too