PDA

View Full Version : have you ever hydro-planed on top of water

Jackie
10-08-2004, 05:28 PM
I've never seen anyone hydro-plane their quad over water before untill last sunday. It was just tooo cool. Even saw a truck do it. 4 ft deep at least. Ya have to have the speed and paddle tires to make it work. I will take pics this sunday and post. I took some last sunday but camera sucked. This was at Silver Lake Dunes, MI
:p

theTman
10-08-2004, 05:34 PM
i hydroplane with razrs.....its fun:D

TheFontMaster
10-08-2004, 05:56 PM
I have hydro plained over puddles, about 15 feet across. It's fun.

Martin Blair
10-08-2004, 09:13 PM
I hydroplain acroos little shallow mud wholes like 15-20 ft acroos maybe like 1ft deap and most, its fun pretty sweet that you dont sink in just skim acros and pretty sweet roost pics as well.

JOEX
10-08-2004, 09:30 PM
I took this pic last July.....:cool:

jesshamner
10-08-2004, 11:18 PM
Its a lot of fun. You don't need paddles although I'm sure its easier. I did it with holeshots on a stock 400ex. I saw a guy on a dirtbike do it too.

foleyit
10-09-2004, 12:58 AM
Pretty cool pic. I think I saw a pic in dirtwheels where they showed someone trying to do this same thing and they didn't keep their speed and it submerged. All you could see were the bars.

Kilabanshee
10-09-2004, 07:14 AM
I know juggalo has hydro-planed a pretty big pond.

Jackie
10-09-2004, 05:06 PM
these guys and my son where going accross about a 100+ ft span of water, if they would have sunk the quads, the water would have been over the top maybe thats a big part of the thrill. my sons friend tried it with stock tires on a 300ex and started pushing the water about the last 15 ft and was soaked from the chest down. so maybe the paddles helped with the long streches of water. another guy was running the long part of the pond and staying a float. tomorrow I will have someone take a pic of me doing it.:p
cool pic JOEX

Thump_It
10-10-2004, 10:41 PM
How exactly are you supposed to approach this skill.......do you just go fast as hell and lean back or what? I ride the Oregon dunes and there are ponds all over the place.

JOEX, is that the pond down at Hauser flats?

Jackie
10-11-2004, 09:58 AM
the pond must have no banks or you will belly flop, we go down a side of a dune fast as hell, stand a bit and lean back some, 4th gear when ya hit the water; like in the pic above.:devil:

airheadedduner
10-11-2004, 10:41 AM
Been there, done that.............rode home in an ambulence:o

JDiablo
10-11-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
Been there, done that.............rode home in an ambulence:o

lmao

bradley tried doing it to on his blaster....ask him how it went(althgouh he didnt try to plane across)

JOEX
10-11-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Thump_It
JOEX, is that the pond down at Hauser flats?
I belive so, i'm not familiar with all names of every area but it was near Hauser rd.;)

Thump_It
10-11-2004, 09:37 PM
Yeah, that's Hauser flats, or the next flat right over houser flats.

MIKE400EX
10-13-2004, 10:12 PM
Jackie,
We watched 2 people trying to do that at Silver Lake. I don't think it was quite 100' across though. The first one made it most of the way but fortunately was able to ride out the last 20' or so (very soaked). The second guy chickened out and ended up sliding his 400 in up to mid-tank. Had to get pulled out by a truck. Later it was upside down in the parking lot. Funny

Good luck trying it!

Did you find a toy hauler yet? There's still time left!

Jackie
10-14-2004, 04:46 PM
I just got a call from a place that I had contacted on line with the spec's I was interested in and I haven’t had a chance to look at it, but I have made arrangements to rent a covered alum trailer 20' inside length for 900.00 for the whole month of Dec. the guy said if I like I can buy it. It’s at a rental place and it’s the owner’s personal trailer. I thought that’s cool. It doesn’t look like I will be coming to the mines this fall I need to save my money for the glamis trip.
My son planed like a boat, speed is a big factor for staying on top of the water. I was all ready to go last sunday but i left the facet on in my master bath with the drain pluged and flooded the house a bit. I was sooo disapointed I think it was the last nice riding sunday for the dunes untill next season. We are going one more time with winter gear on Oct 31st. Dunes close Nov. 1st. Take care.:p

tp450
10-15-2004, 11:11 AM
I have planed a bit of water and watch my buddies do it quiet abit. You have to lean back before you hit the water, and not mive to much once in. A small body shift usually spells bad news and make sure you got lots of speed and not in to tall of a gear or you will bog down and end in the water totally.

Honda Boy 13
10-21-2004, 08:58 PM
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures\hydroplane.PDD

This is the pik of me hydroplaning at silver lake. i fixed it up with photo editer. im on my 400ex. and im only 13.:devil:

Honda Boy 13
10-21-2004, 09:03 PM
http://C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures\hydroplane.PDD
hope this workes:(

Honda Boy 13
10-21-2004, 09:07 PM
The best way to hydro plane is to get ans mutch speed as you can in fourth gear than just hold it full out in fourth till the end.;)

(KEEP IT IN FOURTH GEAR!!!!!) :devious:

devil6
11-02-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Honda Boy 13
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures\hydroplane.PDD

This is the pik of me hydroplaning at silver lake. i fixed it up with photo editer. im on my 400ex. and im only 13.:devil:

Gimme,gimme! i wanna see pics!!! i thought u had to be 16 to ride at silver lake? used to be that way. LAst time i saw some tar tar do that was down by the beach. He made about 3 little puddles on a green kaw 700 v-crap, and BLAM, the 4th one got him!!!! slid sideways, got ran over by his own junk.LOL slammed him facedown in the puddle. :devil: i thought he was dead. It's cool to watch people do it, but i gotta go to work on monday. So in the meantime, keep skimmin the ponds. i'll be sittin by the sidelines, watchin people keep crashin.

GoOn3
11-03-2004, 09:35 AM
there was a puddle, not too deep, but about 40 ft across. Me and my buddy kept going round and round it, creating a nice little berm. soon as we finished, we saw this kid come flying, must have been at least 4th gear wfo, thinking he would skim across. Dumbass didn't do a drive by first, well, he hit the edge of the berm we created (not on purpose) and his back end kicked up, front wheels dug in, it shot him 10 feet in the air and he went head first into the sand on the other end of the water. Most incredible wreck I ever witnessed. Me and my buddy felt bad, but jeez, it's like jumping, at least roll over slowly at first, check it out. Once good, then let 'er rip!

quad_62
11-16-2004, 10:15 PM
here's a pic of me at Little Sahara, OK a few years ago.:macho http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2218765093

flyingbyfast400
11-27-2004, 07:16 PM
Here ya go guys. I seen everyone was talking about hydroplaning so I thought you all would like to see what type of racing I also do in the summer besides racing mx. Its pretty sick stuff. Anyone wanna race? lol

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid148/p353165740de8afa35c64b428aecf35dc/f61cc100.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid148/p4458bcb163fe6044029009cfa404a133/f61cc0f7.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid148/p6989ad2bdebeaadb33b805155007a678/f61cc0f0.jpg

Heres a lil info on the snowmobile that I watercross\grass drag. I use it for summer and only summer. Its a indy 340 farme, it has a 650 EFI motor ( its a big triple ) stuffed into it. Its been bored and stroked to a 730 ruffly.. its has all the odds and ends. along with nos. This thing flat out rips. Scares the **** out of me on the grass. It also has a hood of a 600XLT. Many diff years in that sled. For the most part its just been built from left over parts from are onther selds Last pic is of me hitting the button. Brings the front end way out of the water. For the most part I can out run piped, and a few built up 800's anything under a 800 i can most of the time take, inless I have a bad run or there seld is built. If you have any questions plzs ask.
Vic

Jackie
11-30-2004, 12:57 PM
see ya can snowmobile all year long in Michigan:D I've seen snowmobiles riding on the grass on m-20 between white cloud and hesperia.:) looks like fun vic