PDA

View Full Version : Change bearing or tighten nut...help

alabama400ex
10-08-2004, 02:34 PM
I need some advice from some of yall who know what you are doing. I try to do all the work on my quad myself but i am stuck.
My rear end feels like it is slipping when i gas it hard it feels like a sort of delay it i try to pull it up for a wheelie or something like that. How do i know if i need to change my bearings or just tighten my axle and how do i go about doing that. Thanks for your help.

----------------------
2001 400ex
440 big bore
WB e Series
Big Gun CDI

Aceman
10-08-2004, 04:57 PM
Your chain is properly tightened? Are you sure it's not your clutch slipping? I don't think the delay is being caused by your axle bearings unless it's keeping your chain from being tight and it's slipping on the sprocket. Best way to check your axle bearings is to set your swingarm on a block or jack and wiggle your axle up and down while looking at your carrier for any slop.

plkmonster2
10-08-2004, 05:20 PM
Sure sounds like your clutch is bad. Bearings wouldn't cause thats, but check the sprokets for wear.Go down a long road, and hit the gas. If the clutch slips, it will feel liek you are slowly accelerating, as the engine rapidly accelerates. Feel for the engine and quad to accelerate proportionally.

alabama400ex
10-08-2004, 06:30 PM
Do i need to buy new clutch plates? i put a easy pull lever on it do you think i need to adjust that? Thanks for you help

Aceman
10-08-2004, 06:36 PM
If it started happening when you put the new lever on, then yes you probably need to adjust it. Hopefully you haven't smoked your clutch yet.

cals400ex
10-09-2004, 12:46 AM
yes, make sure there is some play in the lever, even when the handlebars are turned fully left and right.