PDA

View Full Version : Question about back pressure in my truck

Adrenalinerush
10-08-2004, 06:41 AM
i've got alfomaster on my truck and i want it to be a little bit of a deeper tone so i'm going to just run a straight pipe from the cat back. what will that do to my truck. i know that i won't have a lot of back pressure. how long can i run it like that or will it not matter? will it not affect it or what. if anyone can help me i would be great ful:confused:

YLW400
10-08-2004, 08:13 AM
I don't think running straight pipes is going to make it deeper.... Usually give it more of a clack like sound...What kind of truck is it? As far as performance, it will decrease due to lack of backpressure. There is a happy medium in there that muffler manufactures try to find. I have an exhaust dump on my truck that is controlled through the cab. I have a toggle switch that allows me to open in all the way, or close it to sound stock again. It sounds awesome, but falls on it's face when it's open. I raced a 4.8 Chevy, and I have a 5.3.....with it open, the 4.8 actually walked away a little bit..with it closed, I got him..Look into Magnaflow also

NacsMXer
10-08-2004, 09:22 AM
Yeah you will lose a ton of torque and possibly gain a little on the top end, but going with straights for just the sound isnt worth it in my opinion. I really dont even think that it can compare to the sound of a nice Flowmaster because straights just make a lotta noise and sound like ***** without any tone whatsoever. With the straight pipe, you will also actually see worse gas mileage, as if it wasnt bad enough in the first place. I have a Flowmaster 40 series Single inlet dual outlet original muffler on my 5.4 F-150 and boy does it sound mean. Im not sure which Flowmaster muffler you have, but the 40 series original is what you want, its the loudest and deepest they offer. Dont buy that delta flow crap either, unless you want a quiet deep sound. I used to have a single piped 40 series when I bought the truck and it was loud, but I wanted louder and deeper so I went with the same muffler except for the dual outlets, and it made a big difference in tone and volume. So if you have a single outlet, try upgrading to dual, it will really surprise you with the difference despite being the same muffler. Then, if youre still not satisfied, you can upgrade to high flow cats like I did, and it will bring a whole new world of sound to your exhaust system. Also, the tips you have will also affect the sound, if you want deeper and louder go with a larger diameter tip such as 4 inch and a long casing (something 16-22inches long).So what kind of truck you got and what exhaust setup do you have on there now and maybe I can help a little more.

quadrcr161
10-08-2004, 09:32 AM
just a straight pipe is going to give it a raspy sound. what kind of truck? if you want a deeper tone i would suggest adding a tube type muffler between your car and your flow to add as a resignator. it will quiten it down some but give it a deeper tone.