PDA

View Full Version : little sahara

yellow machine
04-12-2002, 12:50 PM
me and about four of my friends are heading down to Little Sahara, OK in the middle of May. My 400 is pretty much still stock except for exhaust and air filter. I have a set fo paddles, I need to get a whip, and a helmet. what else do I need to be prepared down there? I have never been down before. Anything special as far as clothing, acessories, modifications, gear, or tools? I dont know what to expect. I have seen pictures of Little Sahara, and it looks alot different than the place we go sand riding in Nebraska. Any help would be appreciated. :)

dads400ex
04-12-2002, 08:20 PM
Quad should be fine as it is, Getting a helmet should be first on your list. If you want to wait to get a flag you can purchase one in Waynoka, OK. at Jim's Sandtoy's for like $20.00 with a spring.
As far as clothing go's be prepared for temp's ranging from the mid 30's to upper 80's or lower 90's also be prepared for rain.
Other than that just have a ball, it's alot of fun there.

dads400ex

K_Fulk
04-14-2002, 11:41 AM
Do you have to have a triangle flag or is a square flag ok too.
I'll be there next sunday.

2qk4u
04-14-2002, 09:19 PM
I dont think it really matters as long as you have a flag on there. man you are coming from ohio. how many miles is that going to be. dont worry it will be well worth the drive

2qk4u
04-14-2002, 09:21 PM
another. this boy was on a warrior and is only 15 years old. he was getting some big time air

2qk4u
04-14-2002, 09:22 PM
another

2qk4u
04-14-2002, 09:24 PM
this is a bad_ss bike

K_Fulk
04-15-2002, 12:25 AM
Its going to be right around a thousand miles. Me and my buddies will be there from the 21st to the 27th. I cant wait i went to silver lake one weekend last year... just wetted my appetite.

yellow machine
04-15-2002, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the info, I thought I heard that flags were required down there, Are you guys sure there are not any last minute modifications I need to make to my 400 to survive down there?

ChadEXer
04-15-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by 2qk4u
this is a bad_ss bike man,,,that bike look uncomfortable as he!! to ride!!!

DEAL
04-15-2002, 05:24 PM
I know someone who used to own a klt 250 like that (not with the weird front end though) and it was extremely comfortable.

Sleeping Catfish
04-15-2002, 08:48 PM
at least you guys have smooth landings. yesterday i went up a very steap hill in 3rd pinned and got some pretty good air and came down in a rut. my thump slipped off the trottle and thanks to the 12:5:1 compression i came to a hault and flew over the bars. my nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:( that is the most painful thing i have ever done to my nuts.

tryken
05-02-2002, 12:16 AM
If you have a video camera and a tripod take it. Go out to the top of one of the dunes and set up and start filming. People will see the camera and of course they want to get themselves on film doing all kind of crazy stuff.

K_Fulk
05-02-2002, 12:35 AM
I got back sunday morning from waynoka. It was worth the drive. Great riding. A lot of cool people. **** we knew the whole town by the time we left. Went to a townie party before we left.
I'll post some pics when i get them scanned.

K_Fulk
05-02-2002, 12:37 AM
Oh and another cool thing a couple of my buddies were talking to Alan Knowles at tours and rentals the last friday.

05-03-2002, 08:39 AM
2qk4u, great pic. that is my brother on the warrior, he has got a big set, i have got to hand that to him. Imagine him on a raptor, something like that

Razorback
05-03-2002, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by yellow machine
Thanks for the info, I thought I heard that flags were required down there, Are you guys sure there are not any last minute modifications I need to make to my 400 to survive down there?

you should be fine. you said you have paddles, so definitely be prepared to use those. like dads400ex said, get a flag with a spring on the pole, otherwise you could break a cheaper one and have to buy another one onsite. Don't oil your chain right before you ride, because the said will stick to the chain. The sand will naturally sandblast the chain nice and clean if you leave it un-oiled. an outerwears would be a good idea for your filter, but not a necessity.

also, if you ride at night, be prepared because the dunes shift, so a hill might be in one place, then later on it might be gone. have fun!

generalg
05-06-2002, 10:25 PM
I just returned from Little Sahara on Sunday 5/5/02. It was a bit windy but always a blast. I will be headed back there this up comming weekend to try out the new Gecko's now.

Sandragggen
05-12-2002, 11:46 PM
generalg....did you go to Lil Sahara this past weekend? I was there with 16 other quads and had a blast. It was very windy Saturday but still managed to have a great day of riding. We had to wear goggles in the pits.

I would advise bringing a clean back up air filter yellowmachine. After about 2 hrs riding time my Twin Air was a mess. :mad:

quadperson
05-13-2002, 06:38 PM
Dads was right about the extreme temp changes. Be prepared for it. Dude, a 400ex with paddles is more than enough to have a good time. The first time I went, I didn't even have paddles, just a stock 300ex. I climbed everything there, but I had to go as fast as I could on some of the bigger dunes. It's worth the drive.

generalg
05-14-2002, 10:20 PM
Ya I was there this past weekend. It was WAY to windy! I was riding with some buddies from Joplin, MO. It was a blast as always. I was riding with 2 Raptors one limited edition and the other black&white & 2 Banshees. I had a chance to ride the Raptor for the first time. I really liked how it felt. It is a bit taller than the 400. It was really stable and handled good. Probably due to the fact that the Raptor I rode had a +4" rear axle and other goodies on it. I'm really thinking of maybe trading my 86R for a Raptor now.....

Sandragggen
05-14-2002, 11:22 PM
The buddies Raptor was awsome in the dunes. The bowls were a blast on the Limited Raptor. Spent most of the time dragging this trip on the Sport (Banshee guys hate being beat by a Polaris). Planning a trip in Oct.....maybe we can hook up. 16 quads went on this trip, hopefully more next time.

generalg
05-15-2002, 11:30 AM
So were you the one with the FAST AS HECK Polaris? That bike was FAST! One of the guys I was with riding the Banshee had asked you want all you had done to it. Do you remember a white\red banshee with cut fenders, Toomey's and extented A-arms with works shocks? He was pissed the whole weekend that he was loosing to that Polaris!!! I just thought it was funny. Know one could believe that the Polaris was beating everone!

Sandragggen
05-15-2002, 07:14 PM
Yea that was me on the Polaris. I bet I told my mods to 15 Banshee guys that day. I remember the red and white shee.....he flagged me down as I was going back to camp. It was running good this weekend.....it's about time. People do have a hard time believing Pols can run, but they will with the right mods. It's not real fast out of the hole but the mid to top hauls. My 100lb. buddy even beat that CRF450 guy that was beating everyone earlier in the day. It's gonna take me a month to get it cleaned up after Saturday's sand storm.

OCCRA288
05-17-2002, 05:30 PM
some little guy on a pol 400 sport spanked me and alot of other 400's about two months back.

05-17-2002, 10:21 PM
i found out the hard way how fast that pol is, ate some mud from it too, rember, sanddraggen, later that day, my kicker fell off my r

05-20-2002, 09:00 AM
look for my brother at little sahara they just left this morning (5-21-02) he is on a blue raptor and he will have two friends one has a polaris 400 2x4 and one has a black and white blaster!!!! if you see them they would love to ride with you!!!!

05-24-2002, 09:37 PM
Hey , whats up dude? I'm the guy with the red 400EX w/#65 on it. My bro-in-law was there with the R he bought from LS tours and Triston w/400EX. When are you gonna get down there again? I'm lookin at June 21-23. Gotta buy some sand skates next time, sand devils suck.
Cya there,
Norm