PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the motor

gate_keeper_32
10-07-2004, 07:51 PM
I wasnt sure which forum to post this on so I chose this one, it seemed the closest to the topic. Anyhow, is there an easy way to get the brown grunge off of the motor of my quad? Let me rephrase, is there an easier way than rubbung with metal polish? Just so you know what kind of grunge I am talking about, its the stuff that comes from people that drive through mud and let it "bake" on there from the engine heat. If it is not sprayed off within a decent time, it will eventually turn your motor into tan in color. Mine is like this a little bit and I am in the process of scrubbing it off, but I thought that there may be a cleaner that I could just spray on it and wash it off????

Eddie

Scro
10-07-2004, 08:42 PM
u might could try simple green, just spray it on there and let it sit for about 10 minutes and then spray it off. If this doesnt get it you may have to scrub it a little before you spray it down

JDiablo
10-07-2004, 08:51 PM
try the motor cleaner called "gunk" should take most of the unsightly stuff off....one day when your mad bored though,take the engine out of the frame,go to a hardware store,buy some wire brushes,some cleaning pads,some sandpaper,and like a toothbrush,and cleaning products....gunk,etc,etc polishing stuff,and clean the chit out of your motor,and then try to find some kind of protectant,if not try to find high tempertaure clear coat spray paint,and tape your engine up real good where you don't want it to go,and spray it,shoudl keep it looking narly

airheadedduner
10-08-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by 300exrida
tr not try to find high tempertaure clear coat spray paint,and tape your engine up real good where you don't want it to go,and spray it,shoudl keep it looking narly

It also does not allow as good of heat dissipation:o

You have to scrub that crap off. To keep your engine looking new go down to your local hardware store and buy a big 2 gallon can drum of wd-40(the non-spray stuff) and a little squirt bottle. After everywash spray down your chassis, motor, and under your fenders and wipe off the excess. Now when you go to wash the bike just spray a diluted mix of simple green on it and it all comes off like magic ;) I have been using maxima silicon spray too. It has the same effect and dirt don't stick to it as badly. DO NOT USE THE WD-40 SPRAY DOWN IF YOU RIDE IN SAND. It don't have the same effect. The sand will just stick you your motor and it aint goin anywhere.

300exOH
10-08-2004, 11:04 AM
If you use the gunk engine cleaner stay away from seals,rubber parts and wiring. It will dry them out. I would go with what airheadedduner said. Simple green and WD-40 work great.

gate_keeper_32
10-08-2004, 11:41 AM
Thanks for all of the ideas guys.:)

I have been outside all morning cleaning on this thing and I've come to realize that the only way that this stuff is coming off is with alot of elbow grease and patients.:( I am a stickler when it comes to cleanliness of my quads and by the looks of it, I have my work cut out for me. But winter is coming up soon and I dont want there to be 6" of snow on the ground and my quad all apart in the garage. So I think that after this winter I will tear it all down and start cleaning on it.

I did notice one thing though, I took the side cover off of the starter and used the wire wheel on the bench grinder on it, and then ran it over the buffing wheel with a little bit of metal polish and it shimmers like chrome now! I'm not going to get too involved in doing this just yet on the rest of the motor until I find out how long it will last like that without any protection on bare metal (cast aluminum). But if it lasts with just simply wiping it down every once in awhile, I will be doing the whole motor like that. Thats alot of work.:eek2:

suck my pipe
10-09-2004, 04:11 PM
i've found that if you put some gojo on your hand then rub it into the grease, wait a seccond and hose it off it works good. Takes off chainlub and grease. ;)

zoe17
10-10-2004, 08:51 AM
Purple power is a spray on cleaner I use. It will take off anything if you let it set. But, If you leave it on plastic with stickers for too long it will mess up the stickers.