PDA

View Full Version : What is with the XR400 cam?

RED121572
04-12-2002, 12:32 PM
I need an experienced reply from someone. What is with the XR 400 cam? Everywhere I read in here, seems a large percentage either uses or recommends the XR 400 cam.

After my dealer reccomended this cam to me, I stuffed one in my 400. (along with a 11:1 86mm piston) Several shop owners that Ive talked to refered to the XR 400 cam is "Lame"

After only having the XR cam in for 10 hours, im currently stuffing a WB all around cam in.

Im not bashing anyone here, but could someone please tell me what is the deal with this XR 400 cam?? Also, the WB cam I got is the same price as the XR cam.

04-12-2002, 01:15 PM
The main reason for alot of people getting it,,is it's a drop in cam,,and has rated pretty good with other drop in cams,,plus it's cheaper than most other drop in cams,,,Not that it's the best, but it gets the job done..

ChadEXer
04-12-2002, 01:35 PM
you prolly wont be able to tell a difference with that WB. your gonna be mad!

04-12-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by ChadEXer
you prolly wont be able to tell a difference with that WB. your gonna be mad!

Doh..:eek:

Leo
04-12-2002, 02:25 PM
I personally chose it because it's very similar to most of the 'all-around' cams out there, is signifigantly cheaper (not to many places sell the WB cams for $120).. and it's a new-OEM part that I know will be fine with my stock rockers..

I wasn't looking to squeeze the last possible peak HP out of my 400, but rather to keep a nice wide powerband..

Leo

RED121572
04-12-2002, 05:28 PM
Thanks everyone for there replies.

I just got back from the garage. The XR cam is now a paper weight on my coffee table.

I cant get on the throttle just yet, Ive gotta have the valves adjusted to it. All I can hear right now is "clang clang clang!!" lol

But just putzin around and blurpin the throttle, there is a difference....a very nice difference in fact.

The weather here in Ohioland isnt holding up very well this weekend for me. If I get a chance to actually ride the thing, Ill post a short review...stay tuned!!