PDA

View Full Version : Need some step by step instructions to installing brake pads

hessianmx111
10-07-2004, 03:10 PM
arlright ive never changed a set of brake pads in my life so this a first the rear on my 400ex are badly worn. so itd be great if one of you all could help me out by explaining the steps and/or can post a link that already has it i used the search but nothing came back to me. thanks

10-07-2004, 04:20 PM
loosen 2 12mm bolts on side of caliper & take off....take rear caliper off by removing 2 bolts....take out brake pads & reinstall new ones same way you took out.

hessianmx111
10-07-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
loosen 2 12mm bolts on side of caliper & take off....take rear caliper off by removing 2 bolts....take out brake pads & reinstall new ones same way you took out.
thanks ill go look it over and try it

47501exracer
10-07-2004, 05:38 PM
You will probably have to push the piston back in to get the pads to fit back on the rotor. You can usually push it back with your hand or the end of a screwdriver.

Chino
10-08-2004, 07:22 AM
I first loosen the 2 12mm bolts on the caliper as said, then on the opposite side of your caliper there are the two bolts that slide all the way thru your pad. I use a screwdriver or small pointy tool to flip the tabs back on it. After i have the tabs back where i can get a socket on them, i put the 2 12mm bolts 1/2 or so back on the caliper, then i loosen the two bolts that go thru your pads. I re - mount the caliper because it's easier taking the bolts that go thru ur pads out when it's mounted back up, than tryin to hold the caliper and doing it. So after you loosen the two bolts goin thru the pads up, take ur caliper back off. You will pull the two bolts out of the pads, remove the pads CLEAN UP THE AREA VERY WELL BEFORE INSTALLING NEW PADS. You may have to use a small " C - Clamp" to depress your piston back down. ie- the round looking object behind the pads. After you have depressed your piston and cleaned the area free of debris, re install you new pads, getting the two bolts that go back thru both pads can be sorta tricky at times, but be patient, you will get it. after you have your pads in put the caliper back on the rear rotor, put the two 12mm bolts back in, tighten them up, now tighten the bolts up that go thru the pads, b/c you couldnt get them good and tight holding it now could you :D Hope this has helped you out some... Now you can ride freely without a rear warped rotor due to lack of brake maintenance and not having the knowledge to do so. Any other questions feel free to ask!

hessianmx111
10-08-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Chino
I first loosen the 2 12mm bolts on the caliper as said, then on the opposite side of your caliper there are the two bolts that slide all the way thru your pad. I use a screwdriver or small pointy tool to flip the tabs back on it. After i have the tabs back where i can get a socket on them, i put the 2 12mm bolts 1/2 or so back on the caliper, then i loosen the two bolts that go thru your pads. I re - mount the caliper because it's easier taking the bolts that go thru ur pads out when it's mounted back up, than tryin to hold the caliper and doing it. So after you loosen the two bolts goin thru the pads up, take ur caliper back off. You will pull the two bolts out of the pads, remove the pads CLEAN UP THE AREA VERY WELL BEFORE INSTALLING NEW PADS. You may have to use a small " C - Clamp" to depress your piston back down. ie- the round looking object behind the pads. After you have depressed your piston and cleaned the area free of debris, re install you new pads, getting the two bolts that go back thru both pads can be sorta tricky at times, but be patient, you will get it. after you have your pads in put the caliper back on the rear rotor, put the two 12mm bolts back in, tighten them up, now tighten the bolts up that go thru the pads, b/c you couldnt get them good and tight holding it now could you :D Hope this has helped you out some... Now you can ride freely without a rear warped rotor due to lack of brake maintenance and not having the knowledge to do so. Any other questions feel free to ask!
thanks a ton man thats pretty much what i did last night i wish i had gotten to read that before i tried it the piston was a pain in the *** to compress me and my dad had a cclamp tightening it down and even hitting it with a hammer to get it to compress after about an hour it finall did but they work good now and i bled my brakes while i was at it, i also had to loosen up a allen bolt to make room for the pads dont know what that was for but it all works good now. thanks

JOEX
10-08-2004, 09:49 PM
There is also a metal shim that goes between the one pad and piston. Without this the pad will wear unevenly and sooner.