PDA

View Full Version : Hinson clutch basket problem!

beak7707
10-07-2004, 12:29 PM
I installed a new hinson basket about 2 weeks ago. I am still having clutch problems so i took my clutch cover off again and my motor was full of metal. I discovered the basket is being chewed up by the balance drive gear, the gear that turns the gear on the balancer. I saw a basket forsale on ebay that had the same problem, I installed it just like the instruction said. What do i need to do to keep the gear from eating the basket? Have any of you ever had this problem? I would take pics but my camera is not working. Your not supposed to shim it are you?

beak7707
10-07-2004, 01:09 PM
This is a joke i called hinson and they told me i didnt read the instructions. I guess 86-87 clutch baskets were different than 88-89 and on 86-87 you have to grind the gear that is eating my basket. Well i have the instruction and had them when i was talking to the guy and the instruction say 86 model NOT 87. Then he tells me its not a big deal that people have ran them for years without grinding the gear down. I think its a pretty big deal considering my motor is loaded full of metal! All he said was they would look into changing the instructions, doesnt help me much. I guess as long as it doesnt chew up my bearings it will be alright. Figured I give everybody a heads up if they were planning on installing a hinson in a 87R.

Aceman
10-08-2004, 04:52 PM
I saw your post on Rriders. Man I would be pissed if my motor was full of shavings because of a flawed product. That's BS if you ask me.

markk
10-08-2004, 05:19 PM
Metel shaving will tear up eveything man, I would ***** harder, people pay alot of money to Hinson to get a quality product, And if they get trash, like in your case, they should hear about it, and FIX the problem!!!

good luck man, Hope the R is in good working order for LTM again, I cant wait to battle it out with u again!

deathman53
10-08-2004, 06:42 PM
I have hinsons in my 250r motors, I never heard anything about that, and I have 85, 86 and 88 motors.

beak7707
10-08-2004, 07:30 PM
I put it all back together, and shes still going. Im still changing my oil after about every 5 mins of riding, I hope it doesnt mess anything up. Its not very big chunks, just fine shavings so hopefully I can get most of it out and clean it up real good during the off season. Markk I'm ready for another round too, I'll be there on something if the R is broke down.