PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Neon SRT-4

balla250ex
10-07-2004, 08:12 AM
Last night me and two of my buddy's went to the local drag strip to watch "Test - N- Tune"... (For those who don't know, anybody can race anything)

Well I see a Dodge Neon come up to the line and I'm like okay, another wanna-be. Turns out it was an SRT-4. You know, the new Neon's that are supercharged and look pretty wicked compared to regular neons.

I had heard about these before but did'nt really think much about them.

Well he ran 8.1 and 8.6 the 2 times I saw him, on a 1/8 mile track, that's the same as my buddy's dad's Chevy truck with a 454.

The car appeared to be somewhat stock, I could tell he had performance brakes on it, but I think he wanted it to appear stock so he'd have a sleeper.

He edged out a POS monte carlo with a 350 in it... notice I said edged out.

Anyways, I was just wondering if any of you have seen these things in action or driven one. Pretty impressive.

MY450R
10-07-2004, 08:34 AM
SOME cars would suprise you
i had a volkswagen corrado w/a supercharger and let me tell you those things hauled ***** big time then i bought a newer one w/ a vr6 and it was even faster
then i bought a subaru svx and that was the fastest

quadrcr161
10-07-2004, 08:44 AM
it comes with those brakes, im sure its part of the SRT-4 package. they are pretty quick but im not sure about dodges warrenty and realibility, b/c its still a neon.

honda_runner
10-07-2004, 09:15 AM
The SRT-4 is Turboed not SuperCharged. Me and my friend went for a spin in one, that had no exhaust and intake, And the thing was quick. 2nd to 3rd shift was crazy, once the turbo spools up, it crazy from there.

Its the best bang for the buck.

NacsMXer
10-07-2004, 09:50 AM
I agree that the stage 2 or stage 3 kit SRT-4 Neons can be hella fast. But in stock form, I really was not that impressed at all. I test drove one for the hell of it and the car has serious problems with turbo lag, theres like no low end at all. The best part was when the salesmen was driving at first, and he ripped the 1st to 2nd shift and the aluminum shift knob just ripped right off the shift shaft. The thing wasnt even threaded on, it was like held on with glue or something. Good ole Chrysler quality for ya :rolleyes: . Yeah, the car is a good value and platform for the speed it can produce, but I wouldnt trust a Chrysler product for longevity any day. Not to bash, but thats just my opinion.

jesshamner
10-07-2004, 10:47 AM
I agree with NacsMXer. No matter how fast it is, its still a Chrysler product. It is...or was the fastest car for under $20,000, but they raised the price now.

balla250ex
10-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
I test drove one for the hell of it and the car has serious problems with turbo lag, theres like no low end at all.

That was what I was wondering... The one I saw at the strip could'nt have been stock b/c it launched off the line with no problem. It had plenty of low end power so I guess it was'nt as stock after all b/c it had no turbo lag.

quadrcr161
10-07-2004, 12:09 PM
they are pretty quick stock, they even come with a LSD diff so they they wont pegleg all the power. this is only in the newer ones though. an exhaust, open the intake tothe turbo and fuel management will wake them up.

2001-400ex'er
10-07-2004, 12:56 PM
yah for the money the SRT-4 is one of the best cars you can get. A good sleeper car I got is a Ford Taurus SHO, everyone things its a taurus untill the supercharger kicks im and im gone.

UglyMotha™
10-07-2004, 01:42 PM
what supercharger you running

2001-400ex'er
10-07-2004, 02:55 PM
haha that exactly what im talking about. It comes stock with a supercharger and 220 hp. Ill get some pics if you want

Tommy 17
10-07-2004, 03:00 PM
but at the end of the day ur STILL DRIVING A NEON!!!!:o

2001-400ex'er
10-07-2004, 03:02 PM
haha hes got a good point /\. Either way I wouldnt mind having a car like that.

MOFO
10-07-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17

BINGO!

I could strap some powerful motor to a freakin Yugo... it might be a little fast....but the car is junk.

I'll spend or save up for the extra money and buy a more refined car...

Smokin 440
10-07-2004, 03:12 PM
I don't like the srt's, the guy i bought my car from got one, w/ stage II upgrades and its not that fast his best 1/4 mile is about a 14... and the handling i guess sucks pretty badly, so the car is still pretty medocre and needless to say he wants my car back :devil:

Tommy 17
10-07-2004, 03:16 PM
mofo i was waitin for ur reply haha...

one kid here at college has a cavalier... he tried to put a turbo on it... but the moron couldn't figure out that his motor can't handle that much horsepower... he hit it down and it cracked the rod... totaly blew the motor... i was like what a dumbass... so everyone laughed at him over it...

Dale512
10-07-2004, 08:01 PM
Smokin440, a Stage II should run alitte better than 14s in the quarter, I've seen totally stock ones go as low as 13.7, but average for stock is low 14s. Dude must be a really, really horrible driver.

Out_Sider
10-07-2004, 08:29 PM
well, since my dads stock ford f250 4x4 with the 6.0 diesel will do the quarter in high 11's.. im not impressed at all with this 'massive' neon

allmixedup047
10-07-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Out_Sider
well, since my dads stock ford f250 4x4 with the 6.0 diesel will do the quarter in high 11's.. im not impressed at all with this 'massive' neon
:huh , you must be talking about the 1/8 mile.
and ive seen a guy run a 13.9 in the 1/4 in a one day old srt4. it was quick.

LazeR
10-07-2004, 09:11 PM

Sorry man there is no way! Maybe the 1/8th mile, definately not the quarter. a 300whp subaru impreza wrx sti can't even do the quarter that fast!

Smokin 440
10-07-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Dale512
Smokin440, a Stage II should run alitte better than 14s in the quarter, I've seen totally stock ones go as low as 13.7, but average for stock is low 14s. Dude must be a really, really horrible driver.

its only like 240 hp, and he's a pretty damn good driver, "totally stock" coulda been mopar stage III from the factory, but im not gonna argue...

TRX250X
10-07-2004, 09:52 PM
I don't know about the numbers on the Ford Diesel, but those trucks are hella fast. I couldn't beleive how fast my dad's was the first time I took it out. It will outrun a lot of cars who never see it coming.

I also saw a Focus on campus today with Ford's new 5.0 cammer motor. (OHC) It was making 420 horsepower and was awesome for a focus. I have to say you won't see a lot of rear wheel drive focus' with a V8 motor powering the wheels. Ford had it there for some talent search contest that they are having right now.

chris450R
10-07-2004, 10:53 PM
jesshammer, the dodge neon is the fastest front wheel drive car you can buy today. and it is also available in all-wheel drive and is also one of the fastest all-wheel drive cars available along with the EVO8 and WRX sti.

nacmxer, i don't what you were expecting from a 4 cylinder. but regardless of it being a 4 cylinder it comes in stock form with 250 ft-lbs of torque and 230 hp. it also has an aluminum block and aluminum heads. i don't know if you know anything about cars or horsepower or torque but 250 ft-lbs from a 4-cylinder is very good. i drive a s10 with he 4.3L V6, it is the largest displacement 6 cylinder you can buy, it is the same bore and stroke as a 350 V8 minus 2 cylinders, and i don't have that kinda torque! and torque is what gets you off the line so fast. and it could not possibly be very sluggish off the line. even so if you know how to drive a car and launch it off the line it wouldn't have turbo lag. now if you took off easy or maybe mediocre and then stepped on the gas, then yeah you will have some turbo lag but the amount of torque it makes at 2200 rpms and 230hp at 5300 rpms, it will pull hard enough and spool boost quickly! this is stock, and yes you can get 3 different stage up grades that will get it up to 300hp and 300 ft-lbs of torque!
http://www.mopar.com/StreetCatalog.pdf

balla250ex, the one you saw at the strip was more than likely an all-wheel drive version. they come in front wheel and all-wheel. and if the guy was launchin pretty good and not really spinnin the tires then it was all-wheel drive. and it was probably stock. they come with a really good tuned exhaust from the factory, it also comes with performance brakes and if i am not mistakin they are brembo brakes, and runs a 5.8 sec 0-60 time.

allmixedup047
10-07-2004, 11:09 PM
my buddies 2001 f-250 with a 110hp bully dog chip and 4inch exhuast ran a 15.1 in the 1/4. thats pretty fast for a 3/4ton truck.
there is one truck that ran an 11 second 1/4 and thats a 95 or 96 f-350 crew cab with a cummins motor, the trucks name is mad dog and its one of the fastest diesels out there. ask anyone that knows trucks and they will tell you that.
my uncle has a 2000 f-250 with a 150-160hp ts racing chip, depending on what computer the trucks have in it. he has 4 inch exhuast, turbo wheel, intake and trany cooler. i bet it will run maybe a 14.7 in the 1/4 mile.
i bet a completely stock new 6.0 powerstroke will run maybe a 16.5.

Dale512
10-07-2004, 11:41 PM
Smokin 440, stock means stock, the MOPAR stage kits are aftermarket, not an option from the factory, also just so you know the Stage 3 kit won't be avaliable until the beginning of the year. Stage 2 I beleive is rated at 260HP-285ft/lb Torque. 240HP is the rating for the Stage 1, which is simply a different PCM, about 300 bucks. Maybe he had Stage 1 not Stage 2? That might be more beleivable, because anybody that knows anything about the SRT4 knows that Stage 1 isnt that big of a performance step, the main reason for upgrading to the Stage 1 PCM is to allow for more flexibility later on down the road for Fuel/Turbo upgrades.

Dale512
10-08-2004, 12:00 AM
Chris450R, There is no AWD Neon SRT4.

NacsMXer, stock they don't really have that much turbolag at all, not compared to most turbo cars anyhow. And actually the stock shifter is plastic and I agree Chrysler does have some quality issues, wtf were they thinking with a plastic glued on shift knob?

MOFO
10-08-2004, 04:21 AM
man.... there is some major BS floating in this thread... I dont even know where to start with the corrections.

I do have to admit, the one that really made me spit out my breakfast was the kid that said his dads "stock" 6.0 powerstroke runs a 11 sec 1/4 mile. LMFAO!

balla250ex
10-08-2004, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by chris450R

i drive a s10 with he 4.3L V6, it is the largest displacement 6 cylinder you can buy, it is the same bore and stroke as a 350 V8 minus 2 cylinders, and i don't have that kinda torque! and torque is what gets you off the line so fast.

balla250ex, the one you saw at the strip was more than likely an all-wheel drive version. they come in front wheel and all-wheel. and if the guy was launchin pretty good and not really spinnin the tires then it was all-wheel drive. and it was probably stock. they come with a really good tuned exhaust from the factory, it also comes with performance brakes and if i am not mistakin they are brembo brakes, and runs a 5.8 sec 0-60 time.

First - The Neon at the strip outran a 4.3L S-10 Extreme twice the other night. It was'nt even that close of a race, so your right.

Also, the one I saw was a front wheel drive. He had bigger, thicker tires on the front and stock ones on the back. (that is if there is an AWD version.)

UglyMotha™
10-08-2004, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by 2001-400ex'er
haha that exactly what im talking about. It comes stock with a supercharger and 220 hp. Ill get some pics if you want

yah sure go for it post some pics, you got the horsepower right, but the yamaha motor didn't come from the factory running a supercharger, in fact if you had a supercharger on that motor you would be running almost 350-400 hp if tuned properly, not 220, so if your factory supercharged sho is only putting out 220, you might wanna replace that flux capacitor

UglyMotha™
10-08-2004, 07:52 AM

i hope you got that confused with his 1/8 mile time, but if you seriously believe that, please go set in your closet :rolleyes:

quadrcr161
10-08-2004, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by MOFO
man.... there is some major BS floating in this thread... I dont even know where to start with the corrections.

I do have to admit, the one that really made me spit out my breakfast was the kid that said his dads "stock" 6.0 powerstroke runs a 11 sec 1/4 mile. LMFAO!

no joke, all wheel drive srt-4?? :huh stock 11 sec diesel??:huh

this thread is unable to be saved.

YamaWarr0121
10-08-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Tommy 17

exact reason i went out and bought a Jetta 1.8T.. in the process of making it keep up!:eek2:

Tommy 17
10-08-2004, 09:40 AM
and at the end of the day my pop bottle has more liters then ur motor... still not a v-8;)

Dale512
10-08-2004, 10:41 AM
Tommy 17, My SRT will give some V8s quite a surprise, and my STI will down right embarrass anything other than a Blown LS1. My SRT has alittle bit of money into it and dynoed at 416HP-406ft/lb Torque on pump gas and my STI dynoed at 638HP-588lb/ft Torque again on pump gas. Now on the same note my next car will more than likely be a V8, just something about having a big V8 under the hood.

allmixedup047
10-08-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Dale512
Tommy 17, My SRT will give some V8s quite a surprise, and my STI will down right embarrass anything other than a Blown LS1. My SRT has alittle bit of money into it and dynoed at 416HP-406ft/lb Torque on pump gas and my STI dynoed at 638HP-588lb/ft Torque again on pump gas. Now on the same note my next car will more than likely be a V8, just something about having a big V8 under the hood.
what does your sti run in the 1/4?

Dale512
10-08-2004, 12:12 PM
My best run in the STI is 10.79 @ 132.14mph untuned, I should be able to squeeze some more power outta of it once I get on the Dyno. Haven't taken the the SRT to the track yet, looking for mid-low 11s on Slicks with it though.

UglyMotha™
10-08-2004, 12:16 PM
nuff of this 4 banger talk, i wanna see pics of this sho with a supercharger from the factory, seeing how they didn't exist :o

quadrcr161
10-08-2004, 12:23 PM
quick google search, here is some specs, no mention of a SC

oops, forgot the link
sho (http://home.pon.net/hunnicutt/SHOpage.htm)

edit again, this is a car that DID come factory with a SC. the superchicken as we called it, i had a friend with one and it did ok, not that fast but it could get out of its own way. its a ford thunderbird sc

t-bird (http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/spex.html)

Taco
10-08-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
nuff of this 4 banger talk, i wanna see pics of this sho with a supercharger from the factory, seeing how they didn't exist :o I got two of em pal:macho My Pinto runs 4's in the quarter also.

allmixedup047
10-08-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by quadrcr161
quick google search, here is some specs, no mention of a SC

oops, forgot the link
sho (http://home.pon.net/hunnicutt/SHOpage.htm)
yeah, i bet not a lot of people knew that the motor was a yamaha motor. i couldnt believe it when i found that out for the first time.

UglyMotha™
10-08-2004, 12:30 PM
oh no need to do a search for me, i know there was no supercharger on em, i've always been a big fan of the sho and know the car practically inside out and got a couple buddies that have worked sho's running some nasty times down at the tracks, one just recently added a charger to it back in the spring since....... well......... since they just didn't come with one from the factory, i just want to see pics of this guys factory charger, i was hoping maybe he'd post pics up of the ac compressor or something so i could get a good laugh :o

UglyMotha™
10-08-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by allmixedup047
yeah, i bet not a lot of people knew that the motor was a yamaha motor. i couldnt believe it when i found that out for the first time.

the motor was actually a scraped idea from another project when ford saw the opportunity to make a sports sedan

stiffy
10-08-2004, 12:37 PM

Will you post your slips of your high 11's. A stock F-250 will run about a 17.5 to a 18 in the quarter mile. I think you are on crack. Do you have any idea what it takes to get a truck of that size in the 13 range let alone 11's.
:huh :rolleyes:

quadrcr161
10-08-2004, 12:44 PM
oh no need to do a search for me, i know there was no supercharger on em, i've always been a big fan of the sho and know the car practically inside out and got a couple buddies that have worked sho's running some nasty times down at the tracks, one just recently added a charger to it back in the spring since....... well......... since they just didn't come with one from the factory, i just want to see pics of this guys factory charger, i was hoping maybe he'd post pics up of the ac compressor or something so i could get a good laugh :o

i figured you did know, i was just posting info. i should have waited though, it would have been funny to see a AC pic. i also want to konw about the 11 sec stock f250.

UglyMotha™
10-08-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by quadrcr161
i figured you did know, i was just posting info. i should have waited though, it would have been funny to see a AC pic. i also want to konw about the 11 sec stock f250.

that's gotta be one nasty shot of propane, probably enuff to barbeque the truck literally :o :blah:

quadrcr161
10-08-2004, 01:02 PM
it was hank hill in his propane delivery truck, he just hooked the end of the filler up to the charge turbo of the turbo and ran it that way. :blah:

balla250ex
10-08-2004, 01:31 PM
C'mon, Out_Sider, let's see some pics of this truck.

ssrogers
10-08-2004, 04:19 PM
Man, Y'all really don't know what y'all are talking about. Yes, there is a 4wd SRT-4. Go to the link and notice the difference between the two models.

http://www.autoweb.com/content/research/searchresults/index.cfm?id=10714;TAWEB&action=selecttrim&make_vch=Dodge&model_vch=SRT%2D4

Still don't believe me. Well, I guess I'm wrong, that 4wd SRT-4 that I saw in real life must have been custom. :rolleyes: Don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. I know a LOT about cars and I know how to tell if there are drive shafts going to the rear wheels.

MOFO
10-08-2004, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by ssrogers
Man, Y'all really don't know what y'all are talking about. Yes, there is a 4wd SRT-4. Go to the link and notice the difference between the two models.

http://www.autoweb.com/content/research/searchresults/index.cfm?id=10714;TAWEB&action=selecttrim&make_vch=Dodge&model_vch=SRT%2D4

Still don't believe me. Well, I guess I'm wrong, that 4wd SRT-4 that I saw in real life must have been custom. :rolleyes: Don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. I know a LOT about cars and I know how to tell if there are drive shafts going to the rear wheels.

LMFAO... since you saw the "shaft" what kind of axle was it...solid or IRS?

...this should be good.

ssrogers
10-08-2004, 05:35 PM
Why would they use a solid axle on a little car like the SRT-4. Full independent supension.

You really think your going to make me make a mistake. Your wrong.

I don't even like those kind of cars. I'm a Corvette person myself. So, It's not like I'm defending my favorite car or anything. I just hate when people are sure they are right and they are wrong. Then, they make fun of the person that trys to correct them.

MOFO
10-08-2004, 05:47 PM
Then, they make funny of the person that trys to correct them.

no one is making "funny" of anyone...

oh please lets see some info stating the SRT 4 can be bought with an AWD package.

...again, this ought to be good. Heck, I'll save you the trouble...the package does not exist.

oh and if was a conversion, which I have yet to see or hear about.... the amount of money involved would be crazy and STUPID when you could just buy a WRX or STI and have a factory turbo car with AWD just for a tad more.

ssrogers
10-08-2004, 06:12 PM
Dang it. I can't believe I said "make funny". I have to change that.

Did you even go to that link?

And If you can't buy a 4wd SRT-4 then how did I see one and why does that autoweb.com link say 4wd. I will admit that all other SRT-4s that I have seen are just FWD.

I was with my dad at the Dodge dealership and I was showing him the new 300c, Crossfire, and that SRT-10 truck. And I showed him the SRT-4 and I said "Look, it's four wheel drive." Then I looked up under there expecting to see the drive shafts again and when I saw nothing but A-arms, I was like "what, this one isn't 4wd" then looked at the other one and it wasn't either.

Ahh, what am I doing. I just sooo don't care about this car.

MOFO
10-08-2004, 06:31 PM
Dang it. I can't believe I said "make funny". I have to change that.

Did you even go to that link?

And If you can't buy a 4wd SRT-4 then how did I see one and why does that autoweb.com link say 4wd. I will admit that all other SRT-4s that I have seen are just FWD.

Ahh, what am I doing. I just sooo don't care about this car.

its an error on their website. Click on the links for more info and you'll see FWD (front wheel drive).

again, there is NOT an AWD SRT-4... I'm not sure what you saw... :confused:

I'll agree with ya too... I dont care about the car either... I'm just a car nut and car info just sticks in my brain like flys on sticky paper. As I stated before, I'll take a MUCH more refined car...

ssrogers
10-08-2004, 06:37 PM
Click on the links for more info and you'll see FWD (front wheel drive).

Dang, It sure does.

Ok, You got me. Good job, MOFO. That sounds strange. I'll admit that I was wrong at in this case apparently didn't know what I was talking about.

But, That stage 3 kit for SRT-4s really is good for 300hp/300tq that is on the mopar website on chris450R's post. Also, Let me remind you that that is the only thing we got wrong. It is still a very fast and performance FWD :D right from the factory and does have a lot of low end torque from the factory.

I don't know what I saw on that car. I could have swarn they were drive shafts.

Be sure to look back at my last post. I added something since you quoted it.

Hey, do you like Corvettes? That's all I care about.

ssrogers
10-08-2004, 06:48 PM
You know what? Maybe I was thinking about when I looked under that Evo VIII at the Mitsubishi dealership.

Yep, I have sucessfully lost all my credibility with this thread.

ssrogers
10-08-2004, 07:02 PM
By the way, I'm the one that told Chris450R that they made a 4wd SRT-4. He is my friend and roommate in college and he showed me this thread and asked me if they made a 4wd and I said I think they do (thinking back to under some car, that must not have been a srt-4) and then looked it up on autoweb.com and found that.

So, I'm going to leave now and let this post die so that maybe this thread will slowly be forgotten.

chris450R
10-08-2004, 08:58 PM
yeah i will admit that i was wrong, well ssrogers was wrong when he told me but i didn't know for sure if they were AWD or not. but all the other info available that i posted is all 100% correct. and i will say that the SRT-4 is not my favorite car. i am more of a V8 person. soon, or whenever the 4.3L goes out in my s10 (which should not be really long with the way i drive), i am planning on transplanting a LS-1, tremec T-56 6speed, and the driveshaft and axle from a 98-up camaro into it, well pretty much the whole drive train. probably go with an LS-6 intake, long tube headers and a rear(remote) mounted custom turbo system. i will call it the LS-10! below are two links to some custom rear(remote) mounted turbo systems, the videos are great! but before all that, the 450R comes first!

http://www.ststurbo.com/
http://www.jlturbo.com/

now as for ssrogers knowlegde about cars, there is nothing about corvettes that he does not know! if anyone needs to know anything about corvettes talk to him!

Dale512
10-08-2004, 09:02 PM
I like my SRT, fun little car to play with, but I like the Vettes alot, my dad has a '71 454 Roadster, it's pretty badass and he's looking into puchasing the new Z06 when they come out. BTW Chrysler is coming out with an SRT8 300C with the 6.1-Liter Hemi, rated at 425HP, should be pretty nice and as for the new Charger, wtf were they thinking, basically a Magnum sedan, 4-Doors do not belong on a Charger, owell, basically another GTO:rolleyes: . Maybe the new Short wheelbase Magnum/300C/Charger platform will fix that in a few years.

UglyMotha™
10-11-2004, 06:14 AM
still no pics of the blown sho, not even a reply defending himself:o ............... well that blew :rolleyes:

ssrogers
10-11-2004, 09:36 AM
still no pics of the blown sho, not even a reply defending himself:o ............... well that blew :rolleyes:

Guess he's not man enough to admit he was wrong like I was. :D

Also,

Dale512,
According to the Corvette forums that I am a member of, The new C6 Z06 will be a 427ci (7 liter) 500hp LS7. Torque is still unknown. But, It's supposed to look a lot different than just a standard C6. More aggresive or meaner looking. I don't know for sure yet. But, Can't wait til January when they finally unvail it and we know for sure if it's a 500 horse 427.

Hold on to that '71. It's pretty valuable if it's in pretty good shape. It could very easily be worth $30,000. See, http://www.vetteweb.com/features/0404vet_price/index.html It might take you a second to figure out that price guide, but once you get it it's easy.

Dale512
10-11-2004, 05:24 PM
My dad was actually offered 28,000 for it, but he turned it down. It's very, very close to being all factory, most of the major peices are original, had to get it repainted and some stuff rechromed, new weather stripping, little stuff. My father got it in '97, it sat in a barn from '75 until he bought it for $4,500, only had about 1100 miles on it, he stripped it down totally and went through everything, the only major thing I can think of on it thats not original or factory are the wheels and carb.