PDA

View Full Version : Methanol - Gas mixing in 400EX

fastforward400
10-06-2004, 11:02 PM
Hello. Just wondering if running a 25% methanol mix would hurt my fuel system in a 400EX? My dad says it will run better and cooler but would benefit more with higher compression. Just checking if anyone else does this.

bradrenea
10-07-2004, 11:59 AM
Its not really worth the hassle. You will definately have to rejet. Methanol is corrosive to rubber and metal parts. I ran methanol in my 400 for a while and then decided it was too much work. Methanol draws water and if you leave the bike parked overnight and its humid out it wont run the next morning unless you drain the water out of the float bowl. I read on CT Racing's web site that they recomend draining the entire fuel system and then running a little gas through it before parking it to keep the methanol from corroding parts.
You will also have to change your oil more often because the meth will make your oil thinner and milky. I talked to a guy that ran it in his son's JR Dragster and he said that they had to change the oil after every race, unless it was a big race where they made several passes, then they would change it in between runs while at the track.
You won't be able to go as far on a tank of gas because the engine uses alot more methanol. I actually ran had to run my stock carb without a mainjet to get it to run right at WOT!!:eek2: That was with straight meth, so if your mixing yours it should not be as drastic, but still a big PITA. If you have a stock motor you probably wouldn't see a noticeable gain.
But, it sure does smell good!!!:devil:

sharkinthepool
10-07-2004, 01:27 PM
Do you have the motor to run it??? If not why waste your money?

R3Concepts
10-07-2004, 05:40 PM
Run straight alky if you do it at all. Alky also runs very lean and lean conditions create big heat. 400s do not like heat. Yes it will run cooler if its jetted correctly but its going to be super finicky and if its at all lean it will be over heating.

fastforward400
10-07-2004, 10:17 PM
ok... thanks. MY da used to build outboard motors for boat drag racing, so thats where his experience with it comes from. He just thought I might be a good idea for some quick horsepower. He did tell me that I would have to drain the fuel system, tweak my carb, etc. Thanks for the input