PDA

View Full Version : mini baja club... pretty cool thing i joined...

Tommy 17
10-06-2004, 09:01 PM
well i joined this club at college here called the mini baja club... what it is is that u build a dune buggie from scratch with a team... then u take it to a MX track and race it for 4 hours in a GNCC type event... i'll be racing pretty much every big named college out there... the track is the same track as the 12 hour race in wisconsin i think... also another one is in troy ohio or something...

i joined the part of the team thats gonna do the suspension and chassis... i dunno if i'll be racing it this year or not (i dunno how many people are ahead of me in sinority yet)... they have 10hp briggs motors but since they have variable transmissions they actually go pretty fast... u can jump doubles and stuff with them... i was checkin one of our cars over b4 and its got like 250r brakes, 400ex spindels, tons of quad parts on them... ours has fox shocks on it but i've seen others with elka, axis, moto woz... i'll have to talk them into using elka this year... may i can get a deal on a set for them...

so i'm sure u'll see me on here askin questions about certain things...

heres a picture of ohio states car... this things got better shocks then 99% of our quads haha:blah:

250x#93
10-06-2004, 09:12 PM
WOW sounds like a really cool deeal. have fun with that......PCT is an affliate of pennstate but i wonder if we have a team or sumthin like that...hmmm anyhow sounds cool....fill us in on what goes on:devil:

fastmofo
10-06-2004, 09:18 PM
that thing is awesome!! good luck!!

I-7
10-06-2004, 09:19 PM
Thats awsome :eek2: :eek2: . Good luck with it

MichaelS693
10-06-2004, 09:20 PM
check the guy out in the background in the grey... oh and by the way... sounds pretty cool... make sure u yall get the deminsions right on everything:D

Tommy 17
10-06-2004, 09:36 PM
lmfao look right at the front end of the car... theres a honda sticker:devil:

K_Fulk
10-06-2004, 09:39 PM
Damn, irs, elkas all around. They have any sway bars on there? wonder how the strait edge wheels hold up for them.

JR3
10-07-2004, 04:02 AM
sounds cool have fun :cool:

zephead400ex
10-07-2004, 09:02 AM
That sounds pretty cool man!

Irs rear, that's cool!

Post some pics as you guys starting getting the thing together!

Good luck!

lil400exman
10-07-2004, 09:11 AM
tommy if you go to troy ohio PM me........thats right near me...:devil: some sweet pro caliber tracks too!:eek2:

Doibugu2
10-07-2004, 10:13 AM
With the trouble you have had with your suspension on your quad, are they sure they want you working on there buggy's suspension?:blah:

Tommy 17
10-07-2004, 10:48 AM
hey doibug u may wanna think about whos suspension is on ur quad right now... o wait that was my old stuff mayb its screwed up 2:p

Doibugu2
10-07-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
hey doibug u may wanna think about whos suspension is on ur quad right now... o wait that was my old stuff mayb its screwed up 2:p

No, I know it's okay, I installed it myself:D

10-07-2004, 12:34 PM
Tommy you will have so much fun. i would have loved to do that when i went to ohio state but didn't know about it till after I graduated! i have a friend that did a simalar thing with a fumula 1 style car. and he was telling me about the mini baja. it's sounds like a blast!!!!!

chucked
10-07-2004, 03:30 PM
they have it at my school, im gonna join it one year when i dont have so much work, im pretty much booked 24-7 right now with work, school, homework, and my engineering project.

Martin Blair
10-07-2004, 05:00 PM
10 hp? just get a old used 300ex or 400ex motor and put in there, screw 10hp.

PHIL_B54
10-08-2004, 03:15 PM
tommy

is there any websites for info on something like that....ive been wanting to do something like that soooo bad. maybe on a slightly larger scale, but something like a pilot. i like the look of these so far www.desertkarts.com if anyone has any info, i would appreciate it

Tommy 17
10-08-2004, 03:21 PM
http://students.sae.org/competitions/minibaja/index.htm

thats the main site i think... if u go into yaho and type in mini baja there will be tons of links from certain schools websites...

i would also like to thank elka who pmed me sayin they would help the team out with the price on some shocks... i haven't got to talk to the college about it... but its still a generous offer and i thank elka for it... they are the best company out there thats for sure...

LTandRaptorider
10-08-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by MichaelS693
check the guy out in the background in the grey...

He's looking for the cupholders...

ranger400ex
10-08-2004, 04:37 PM
Hey Tommy, about four of us got the mini baja started at Purdue when I went their back in the day...it was a freaking blast. We had a fully hydrostatic unit...throttle in one place all the time(optimum RPM range), and adjust two hydro levers for power, traction, and acceleration. man I miss trashing the Green Monster...

is is still the 10hp motor...no modifications, but everything else can be built?

We flew down and helped WVU get their team rolling too.

BMW

Tommy 17
10-08-2004, 05:46 PM
yes its still 10hp no mods to the motors... top 5 or 10 teams motors get ripped down... everything else can be custom but held to TIGHT rules and regs... the book of rules is so thick its unreal haha... it'd take me a year to read them all...

sounds cool how ur car was hydro static... the one i was lookin at school has a push pull throttle system on it... it varies the engine RPM instead of a constant one like ur team was... then it goes into a variable speed transmission some how... pretty weird... i haven't had much time to check it out...

our team is realitively new... the problems that i've seen so far is people say they are goin to join the team... but then they quit when its half done... i know last year they finished the car the night before the race and it ended up breakin down because it wasn't done right...

Tommy 17
10-08-2004, 06:11 PM
hey ranger do u have any advice on what works really good and what doesn't work... i'm really lookin to do very well in this because i want to build my major off it... this is the kind of stuff that i've VERY interested in and every lil bit of info i can get is great... i've been researching on the internet all the time lookin up the best possible ways to do things so i can make suggestions but someone with some 1st hand experience is ALWAYS better then a book...

ranger400ex
10-11-2004, 07:52 AM
One thing we did learn with the unmod motor is that it was best to always keep the motor at the top of the power curve. I would have to look and see what it was then...may have changed now. B&S can get you a chart, or look on the web. that is the reason for the twin hydrostat we used...it was bit heavy but the motor always being a constant RPM we had a set input. both the hydros drove the front and rear wheels...we could use 4wd at that time...not sure all the rules as it has been a few years. it did weigh a decent amount, but made up for it in control. Kinda funny to see elkas...$hit..we used old 250r stuff. The spindles, rotors and such off an atv are perfect. The last model we worked on and were testing was using an axle from a prairie or grizzly on the rear (shafted swinger) and front end from a 250r it tested awesome...2wd hydrostat drive...from a john deere rider.
a good driver is another very big key..we took ours to the badlands and trashed it just to see what would fail and build it better.

ajr400ex
10-11-2004, 02:24 PM
You'll have a blast - just stick with it and don't quit like many people do. I ran both the OSU mini-baja and Formula SAE teams while in college getting my engineering degree. Had a great time and learned alot.