PDA

View Full Version : trying to light up the night

XCrider876
10-06-2004, 07:38 PM
Im racing the 12 hour on a 450R and im looking for a good setup of helmet lights and machine lights. I am also wondering how much lighting an R would take. If anyone knows about this please reply!

rowlrag
10-06-2004, 07:50 PM
I ran a Baja Designs single HID light the big one, then i used a 45watt driving light behind the bumper, used together it would dim the HID so I just ran the HID on the high beam switch and the driving light on the low beam switch incase the HID quit, but not a single problem.

bobbo97f150
10-06-2004, 10:13 PM
In an old issue of ATV Sport there is an article on adding ATV lights. It claims that the 450R stator puts out 217W of power. I'll go ahead and type up what the article says about figuring up lighting.

"Figuring an ATV's output is not difficult. By using a simple formula (Amps x Volts = Watts), it's easy to calculate a quad's electrical needs. Most manufacturer model-specific maintenance manuals list amperage draws of a machines's components. Say, for example, the cooling fan draws 3 amps, the tailight 1 amp, and the ignition 1 amp. Put those numbers into the above equation and you get 5 (amps) x 12 (quads are 12 volt systems) = 60 watts. Once again, stay below the max, bexause a quad's battery has to recharge. A good rule is to set up a system to draw 80 percent of the stator's maximum output, the power remains for the battery."

Take 217W and subtract the number you find from the formula and then you will know how powerful of a light you can put on. I don't know about the 80 percent rule due to the 450R having no battery. Good luck. More info in the May 2004 issue of ATV Sport.

By the way, I am NOT responsible for quads catching on fire due to these instructions. Play with electricity at your own risk!!

exrider44
10-07-2004, 07:32 AM
I think trailtech has hid bar lights and helmet lights also. Check out their website.

lukester720
10-07-2004, 09:50 AM
www.trailtech.net