PDA

View Full Version : Question about Elka's...

cbrown400ex
04-12-2002, 06:49 AM
If you have front triple rates with ssd, how much does your front "sag"? When I pick my front end up my fronts seem fully entended just sitting there. My rear rebuild sagged too much. I adjusted the preload down and it fixed that. It rides great. I was just wondering if the front should "sag" as well. Also they are standard length shocks for stock a-arms. Thanks, CJ

Ex'r Marlin
04-12-2002, 08:03 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have spacers on my triple rate shocks with "SSD". One spacer is about 3/8" thick, and the other is about 1/2" thick. I removed the 1/2" spacer on each front shock. This allows the "SSD" spring to almost fully compress, and thus lowered the front even more.

Please let me know what kind of spacer you have. Are there 2 spacers, or just one big grey color spacer?

cbrown400ex
04-12-2002, 08:07 AM
There are two spacers. One between the ssd spring and middle and one between the middle and lower spring. Not real sure how taking the rubber spacer out would help.... CJ

Ex'r Marlin
04-12-2002, 08:14 AM
I hope we are talking about two different things. There should be a "collar" that separates all 3 springs. The top collar, which separates the "SSD" spring with the middle spring, is it one big grey piece of plastic?

cbrown400ex
04-12-2002, 08:21 AM
I looked for a pic but can't find a good one. If I remember correctly from top to bottom they have a threaded lock nut, then the ssd spring, rubber spacer, middle spring, rubber spacer, then bottom spring. I will keep trying to find a pic. CJ

cbrown400ex
04-12-2002, 08:30 AM
More or less like this with a treaded preload and pigggy backs.

I just noticed that it has a lock nut that is all the way to the top. Mine is about 1 3/4 inches from the top. Could that be an issue??

http://www.quadshopatv.com/elka_largeview.htm

(the one on the right)

Ex'r Marlin
04-12-2002, 08:36 AM
Another thing you can do for me, push down on your front bumper. Observe how the "SSD" spring compresses. If the "SSD" spring fully compresses, you are getting the full effects of the "SSD" spring. If the "SSD" spring does not fully compress, and the middle spring starts to compress, then the collar (spacer) under the spring is dictating how much it will allow the "SSD" spring to compress.

Note: You should have a threaded shock body. Over the threaded area, the springs ride up and down. Between the springs and threaded shock body, you have collars/spacers/separaters, or whatever they are called. The collar has a set height. If the height of the collar bottoms out on the top of the threaded shock body, and the "SSD" spring is not fully compressed, you can alter the collar by cutting down the height of the collar. This will allow more travel of the "SSD" spring.

Hope this helps.

cbrown400ex
04-12-2002, 08:41 AM
I see what your saying...

If the long part of the spacer that is bettween the ssd spring and the threded shock body hits the top of lock nut before the ssd spring fully collapses then I am not getting full ssd travel. Couldn't I just raise my lock nut to fix that? CJ

Ex'r Marlin
04-12-2002, 08:46 AM
Excellent picture! Notice the shock on the right. It has the "SSD" spring on the top. It has maybe 2 coils. Under the coils, do you see that dark grey color. If that dark grey color was not there, you would see the gold color threaded shock body, right? The height of that dark grey is soo high, it will not allow the "SSD" spring to fully compress. I can't tell in the picture if there is spacers, but on my Elkas, they came with metal spacers that I can remove, which would lower the ride height and use more of the "SSD" (Self Sagging Device).

To answer your other question, yes, if you rotate your "lock nut" upwards, that will too set your ride height. The higher it goes up, the lower your ride height will be.

cbrown400ex
04-12-2002, 08:50 AM
I think they switched to rubber spacers recently.

I will take a look at it when I get home. Thanks for the help... CJ

Ex'r Marlin
04-12-2002, 08:52 AM
CJ, you stated you had about 1 and 3/4" between the top of your threaded shock body and the top of your "lock nut". Fortunately for you, you have a lot more adjustment than I do. Mine came to me with about a 1/4". So, for me removing the 1/2" spacer, made more of a difference than adjusting the lock nut.

Note: My shocks came to me set for a 215 pound rider and cross country.

I hope everything works out!!!! Good luck!

cbrown400ex
04-12-2002, 08:55 AM
Do you have anything between the ssd spring and the middle one?

Mine are set-up for a 210 xc rider.... CJ

Ex'r Marlin
04-12-2002, 08:59 AM
Do I have anything between the ssd ring and the middle one? Yes, it is what I call a collar/separtator between the two springs. It holds the springs and keeps them aligned with each other.

Zingnut
04-12-2002, 09:00 AM
Those spacers that go between the three springs that algin the springs and allow them the ride up and down on the shock cylinder are called "Go betweens".

My Question is there any company the makes them with like tefon lining for smoother action against the shock cylinder???

My Works which are not ssd have steel or aluminum collars of different heights that are between the smaller triple rate springs. These coordinate which spring gets which springs get what compression under full impact load. You can adjust these and make varying sizes to get the ride you are wanting out of the shocks themselves... (To an extent)

Ex'r Marlin
04-12-2002, 09:04 AM
Zingnut, I'm not aware of a manufacturer of them. I do know that Elka changed their material from a metal to a plastic.

Mine made the "clanking" noise for a little while, now it has seemed to go away. I also spray some WD-40 on it to reduce the noise.

cbrown400ex
04-12-2002, 09:16 AM
I don't have any "extra" spacers between my springs. In the pic you can see the gray spacers. They seem to be one piece. The long "go between" part is part of the spacer that seperates they ssd spring from the middle one. CJ

Ex'r Marlin
04-12-2002, 09:34 AM
CJ, yeah, that one piece on mine happens to be 3 pieces, the collar, and 2 spacers ( go betweens. )

I think you will find that your collar/spacer/go between is a light color grey, and is made of plastic. I know you said you think it might be rubber. I guess it could be, let me know when you get home and check it out.

cbrown400ex
04-12-2002, 09:37 AM
It may be plastic. I just put them on last night. I didn't get much of a chance to really look them over. I will post my thoughts and likes and dislikes monday. I have a race tomorrow. CJ

Zingnut
04-12-2002, 09:43 AM
Here are the pics of what I am talking about for clarification and I don't see any other pics on this thread.

http://zingnut.midwest.net/Pics/Wheeler/shockwords.jpg

Close up:

http://zingnut.midwest.net/Pics/Wheeler/smallshockspacer.jpg

04-12-2002, 10:02 AM
Note: My shocks came to me set for a 215 pound rider and cross country.

Hey Marlin,

I thought they were set up softer than that??????

Maybe i was heavier then:D

Oh and check your pm's

The difference in the set up length of the two shocks could be from how they were set up. I think one set may be valved harder and sprung lighter, well just my .02

cbrown400ex
04-12-2002, 10:11 AM
There is a link to a pick of Elka's at the quadshop... CJ

http://www.quadshopatv.com/elka_largeview.htm

Ex'r Marlin
04-12-2002, 11:01 AM
Zingnut, I wish I could take pictures and do that! The pictures are very detailed! Thanks!

Lenny (440ex4me), yeah, I think you might have a couple pounds on me..... I think it is too much of Denise's good cooking, Haha.

CJ, if we don't hear from you, good luck tomorrow. Hope the Elkas work great for ya.

BTW, Lenny, I had changed my username from EX'rMarlin to EX'r Marlin. Notice the space between the r and M. (I couldn't sign on using that username anymore, so please forward your PM to my new username.... Thanks!)

Zingnut
04-12-2002, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the link I can see the true ssd spring and the go between on that is huge. Hope ya have a great race..

flying400ex
04-12-2002, 09:27 PM
If someone knows or if they could ask Jeff aat the quad shop, how much elka quad rates are? do they come with SSD? I am pretty sure they do.

04-15-2002, 09:58 AM
I just received my ELKA QUAD RATE 19" LONG TRAVEL SHOCKS. very impressive!

19" Long Travel Elka Shocks
Quadruple Rate SSD (zero preload)
Compression Adjustable
Remote Rezzies
Cost: Under $800

Note: I don't know if they can offer this price for shocks alone. I paid this price for them in a package of elka long travel shocks, houser long travel arms, and extended steel braided brake lines.
Contact me and i'll let you know what I paid and who I got them from. these people have been VERY helpful and their customer service is A+. scott@ushireach.com

flying400ex
04-15-2002, 07:38 PM
How do they ride and jump? I need details man.

cdalejef
04-15-2002, 07:50 PM
Yes, the quad rates do come with the SSD springs. PM me for prices.