PDA

View Full Version : HMF or White Brothers??

cant400exbeatit
10-06-2004, 11:40 AM
i just got a 02 400ex and i wanna get a pipe for it. i narrowed it down to two choices and that's a HMF or White Brothers. i'm not worried about price b /c i can get them both for about the same price. i'm mainly worried about sound. i don't want an insainly loud pipe, but i want a pipe that has a nice deep, throaty sound. which pipe do u guys feel i should buy?? i appreciate the responses.

gojk
10-06-2004, 11:47 AM
HMF sounds far better IMO. I have never been a fan of the E-series. I assume that is the WB pipe you are referring too.

hondarider2006
10-06-2004, 11:49 AM
HMF hands down man. I had a White Brothers e-seires for about 5 months, and it cracked ALL over. After being welded 4 times in about a year and a half(of just riding, no mx) it cracked in half. The HMF took a full season of hard MX riding, getting smashed by the caliper, and now its on a buddys bike and nothing wrong with it. Sounds MUCH better than the wb, and the wb quality can not touch the HMF. If noise is a big issue, they offer a quiet core, but really the HMF isn't that loud. Thats just my opinion;)

400ex men
10-06-2004, 12:35 PM
Hey Man i no lots of Guys That have HMF"S and Thay love them and Wood nvere have a WD. thats my 2 cents

TRXRacer1
10-06-2004, 12:56 PM
Go with the PC T-4. Opps I mean HMF.

cant400exbeatit
10-06-2004, 04:21 PM
is the HMF much louder than the E-series?? and where's the best place to order a HMF, b/c i usually just go through a local dealer, but it just caught on fire a couple weeks ago, so i'm kind SOL. thanx.

Aceman
10-06-2004, 04:42 PM
C&D Racing. It's one of the site sponsors, you also get a 10% discount for being a member.

300exPat
10-06-2004, 07:27 PM
i would definetly recomend the HMF, the white brothers pipe is much quieter though. my hmf compared to my friends warriors e series sounds 10x better and gives me alot better throttle response. the only downside is the extra noise for my neighbors..... pain in the *****es

RedRider55
10-06-2004, 09:05 PM
HMF! hands down! awesome sound! great power! better than the white bros, sparks, and pro circuit, i've had them all and the hmf slipon with the white bros header is by far the best

cals400ex
10-06-2004, 11:54 PM
how does the hmf fit with the white brothers header?? :huh maybe your talking about the 300ex??

hondarider2006
10-07-2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
how does the hmf fit with the white brothers header?? :huh maybe your talking about the 300ex??

I believe he is, seeing as how that is what he rides;)

cant400exbeatit
10-07-2004, 10:51 AM
thanks for the responses guy, i'm probably gonna go with the HMF considering that's what everyone seems to like. i was only consider the e-series b/c so many people have them on their 400's so i thought it must be a good pipe if a lot of people have them and i figured they were a little quieter too

hondarider2006
10-07-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by cant400exbeatit
thanks for the responses guy, i'm probably gonna go with the HMF considering that's what everyone seems to like. i was only consider the e-series b/c so many people have them on their 400's so i thought it must be a good pipe if a lot of people have them and i figured they were a little quieter too

Don't make the mistake of getting something for your quad "because everyone has one, so they must be good" I thought that about the e-series and I was 100% wrong. That pipe was the biggest waste of money I have put into that thing. I wish I would have asked around more than just assumed when I bought it, Go with the HMF, you won't be disapointed:cool:

2001-400ex'er
10-07-2004, 12:48 PM
I have the HMF and I love it. Without the quiet core it is pretty loud but once I put it in it is perfect, gives it a nice tone yet wont get anyone mad.

LazeR
10-07-2004, 08:38 PM
HMF Hands down. I just got mine today, and on and i absolutely LOVE IT. It might be loud but it sounds awesome! I've ridden a 400ex with an e-series and the sound doesnt even come close to the HMF. I got good gains as well, very happy with my HMF

MY450R
10-08-2004, 06:59 AM
i also wasted money on the e-series however the top end cannot be beat no matter what pipe you go with all you need to do is put 4 of those end pieces on and wow unlimited top end,but on the same token if you run hmf or fmf you will see a tremendous difference in the low end and sound
btw i use the white bros header with my fmf slip on and its awesome

cant400exbeatit
10-08-2004, 11:13 AM
thanks guys, i'm def. goin with the HMF...but i was just wondering does the quiet core effect the power or jetting at all??

hondarider2006
10-08-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by MY450R
i also wasted money on the e-series however the top end cannot be beat no matter what pipe you go with all you need to do is put 4 of those end pieces on and wow unlimited top end,but on the same token if you run hmf or fmf you will see a tremendous difference in the low end and sound
btw i use the white bros header with my fmf slip on and its awesome

I will have to say that my TC shorty puts out more top end than the wb e-series. I believe the wb is more of a low end pipe more than anything, well until it falls apart that is:p

cant400exbeatit
10-08-2004, 11:44 AM
thanks guys, i'm def. goin with the HMF...but i was just wondering does the quiet core effect the power or jetting at all?? also, does the quiet core make it sound bad....such as no more of a deep, throaty sound.

hondarider2006
10-08-2004, 11:45 AM
I believe the quiet core will take a little power away, and make the jetting a little richer. PM Lazer and ask him about it, he just got his in yesterday and also got the quiet core.

Rastus
10-08-2004, 02:30 PM
I love my WB E-Series Pro-Meg. :confused:

My WB has been absolutely perfect. No cracks, no nothin. ( Yes.., I do ride it hard!)

markk
10-08-2004, 05:26 PM
HMF, im running a White Brothers, But you cant beat HMF!

plkmonster2
10-08-2004, 05:50 PM
I've got a HMF... I love it! lol. It is probably the best built pipe I have. Nicely put together, and has better mounts than any other pipe out there. when I run the quiet core, It is much quieter, but I loose some low end, and gain a tiny bit on top. And yes, It gets slightly richer, but not much at all.

LazeR
10-08-2004, 09:11 PM
I haven't ran with my quiet core in yet. I put it in for a second to see what it sounded like and it makes a huge difference on the sound, Quiets it down a ton! Still has a fairly good sound with it in, but sounds better without it ;) When i get my jetting dead on im going to run with the quiet core and see how much of a difference it makes, and i'll post back when i get a chance to get everything jetted correctly and what not!

ReconRider25
10-09-2004, 05:32 PM
i have the hmf and the quiet core for it. my pipe the inside tube with the holes in it rattles for some reason so that gets annoying but it dosent affect the performance. i switch the qc in and out all the time cuz i leave it in fer trails and take it out for races. i dont have the change the jetting when i do that and i dont notice any power losses with it.

JR3
10-09-2004, 06:21 PM
i have a white bros i like it i ride hard it has a caliper dent no cracks fine i have 6 disks on it but i jus got 6 more so ill see how it goes but i have 3 friends that run them and no problems either

plkmonster2
10-09-2004, 08:27 PM
Recon rider, Put a little bead of copper silicone sealant around the lip of the QC. Let it dry over night, and install it. problem solved!

cant400exbeatit
10-10-2004, 08:37 PM
thanks lazer....i'll be looking forward to reading your reply on wether or not the jetting is effected by the quiet core...also, could you let me know what size jets you used.

Abrab916Ex
10-11-2004, 06:45 AM
yo.....HMF sounds great, but do the they have a full system for the 400ex (ceramic coated)?...........or a silencer with a ceramic coated header?and...what site should i get it off..........thanks........prolly ganna get this pipe, sounds hot!;)

ReconRider25
10-11-2004, 11:15 AM
Recon rider, Put a little bead of copper silicone sealant around the lip of the QC. Let it dry over night, and install it. problem solved!

its not the quiet cpre that rattles its the inside tube of the muffler that rattles. it can slid back and forth.:(

LazeR
10-11-2004, 12:52 PM
thanks lazer....i'll be looking forward to reading your reply on wether or not the jetting is effected by the quiet core...also, could you let me know what size jets you used.

I currently have a 42 pilot, 2 ½ turns out on the fuel screw and a 160 Dynojet Main in, i'm going to experiment with a 155mj

cant400exbeatit
10-13-2004, 11:52 AM
is the hmf pipe repackable??? and what does it take to do it??

hondarider2006
10-13-2004, 12:03 PM
is the hmf pipe repackable??? and what does it take to do it??

Yes it is repackable. Never done it before, but I am guessing you will need some new packing, a drill to drill the rivits out, some new rivites and a rivit gun. Also a coupld of wrenches to take the silencer off itself. Shouldn't need much more;)

Kennethyfz450
10-13-2004, 12:46 PM
the person i buy most of my stuff from steered me away from the hmf, and told me to get the lrd performance 4... and let me tell you when i rode my friends yfz450 with the sparks and got back on mine i was glad that i bought the lrd..

i know that wasn't any of your choices, i figured i let you in on the lrd and how every two 400ex you see with a pipe one of them has a lrd so that has to say something..

i loved my white brothers e series on my 300ex, seemed like it gave more tq...

my other friend with a 400ex has a white brothers e series with a powerbomb header and that thing pulls like no other for a stock bike...

and my other friend lol has a z400 , and his bike hauls butt in second gear.. lol sounds strange but for some reason all the other gears seem tame compared to its second gear.. and he also has the wb with powerbomb header combo..

LTZ400rider
10-13-2004, 03:33 PM
hmf or curtis sparks

cals400ex
10-13-2004, 11:34 PM
i would love to try an lrd on my 400ex. i have a thermal coated x-6 right now and i am happy but i don't think my bike is at its potential. maybe i am just too particular and like to nitpick. i also wouldn't mind trying the LTE system. my buddies x-4 seems to pull really really hard on his 416, but it just doesn't seem to rev as high as my x-6. however, his torque and top speed is quicker than mine.

z-mann
10-13-2004, 11:46 PM
HMF makes great stuff.

the Z Man
10-13-2004, 11:55 PM
I have run the White Brithers for the whole season with no problems, I did remove the end cap for racing and when I want to quiet it down I put the end cap back in. The only thing I do not like about it is it sticks out a little further than I prefer.. Z # 5

zfire_28
10-14-2004, 01:33 AM
I like the looks of HMF pipes.

MY450R
10-14-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by JR3
i have a white bros i like it i ride hard it has a caliper dent no cracks fine i have 6 disks on it but i jus got 6 more so ill see how it goes but i have 3 friends that run them and no problems either
the more disks you put on the lower the power band kicks in
if you use like 4 that sucker will pull really hard on top