PDA

View Full Version : Urgent : Chain tensioning problems - grinding.

DangerousDean
10-05-2004, 09:03 PM
Well, I havn't went quading much this summer.. havnt even ridden it for atleast 2 months. (injurys, gone to whistler and such) ... But a few weeks ago i tried adjusting the valves (they were out of wack) and kind of screwed up etc. brouigh it in.. got it fixed... blah blah.

To the point:
And now im going to go riding tommorw but have to adjust my chain.

But when i tighten it... when i roll it makes a wicked bad grinding noise. almost like theres grim in my rotor but coming from the sprocket side. But then when i loosen it off again it is fine (the chain just rubs the "swingarm guard")

Why is it doing this? is my carrier shot.. or what? I havn't even ridden it for 2 months and it was fine before i put it away ?:confused:

cals400ex
10-05-2004, 09:42 PM
see if there is any slack in the rear by shaking the rear wheels back and forth. maybe the bearings are bad.

SnowFlake
10-06-2004, 06:41 AM
I had the same problem, just go beind your quad and grab the axle on both side and move it back and forth. If it moves, your bearings are shot and when your old bearings are out check the carrier and see if its ok.

Rico
10-06-2004, 08:37 AM
If you haven't replaced the axle bearings and it's a 2000 model I think it's time for a new axle carrier...;)

I highly suggest not riding it with it like that.

DangerousDean
10-06-2004, 10:35 AM
so I'm gonna need bearings for sure i guess.

Why would i need a new bearing carrier? (axle carrier?)

I-7
10-06-2004, 11:32 AM
Sounds like a bearing problem to me but I dont think the axle carrier is an additive to the problem... I may be wrong though

DangerousDean
10-06-2004, 03:31 PM
ok, so are the bearings.. are they "honda" bearings?

or avail. from any bearing supplyier (commecial bearing etc.)

Aceman
10-06-2004, 04:44 PM
You can get some off of Ebay.