PDA

View Full Version : too much oil in z400

fastest440ex
10-05-2004, 08:43 PM
my buddie has an 02 z400 that has an oiling problem. One day after warming the engine we decided too check the oil before a trail ride. When we pulled the dipstick oil gushed out the hole. So far i've pulled both oil lines and found no reshrictions. We drained the oil and found no metal. When we tried to put oil back in we could only get about 1 and half quarts in the resivor. when we drained the oil only a quarter of a quart came out of the engine. I guess I think that I am not geting enough oil to the crankcase or too much back to the tank. The cd-rom manual isn't much help. Any help would be greatly apprieciated.

bobsquadsport
10-05-2004, 08:45 PM
when u drained the oil from the crankcase did u also drain it from the tank?

fastest440ex
10-05-2004, 09:16 PM
yes and we got the remaining capasity from the tank. Normaly when we change the oil we get 60% from the tank and 40% from the crankcase. Then when we refill usaully all of the oil will fit in the tank.(unlike my 400ex were you have to start the engine and the top it off) It almost seams like there is a restriction where the oil enters the crankcase.

bobsquadsport
10-05-2004, 09:23 PM
i got to thinkin after i posted it might be the oil pump. I thought i heard somewhere before about someone havin an oil pump failure.

fastest440ex
10-05-2004, 09:30 PM
yeah thats what i was thinking but where waiting to get a guage to see what the pressure is. The book says 4-8 psi at 2000 rpm is normal. this blew my mind coming from a car backround where under 10 is a problem. i thought i read somewhere that the oil pump has a plastic idler so there could be a problem there.

buster369
10-19-2004, 05:43 PM
put a new oil filter in it and it should solve your problem.
it is located on the side of the motor and sticks out some with 3 10mm bolts holding the cover on. It sounds like the filter is clogged. Happened on my rancher