PDA

View Full Version : About to buy, please guide me

Southtown00
10-05-2004, 08:20 PM
I am about to buy a 450R. I have a few concerns I would like to get cleared up first though.
-First of all I want to know stock to stock which is faster YFZ or Honda (doesnt matter either way, I still want the honda but would like to know for real) (in a drag)?
-What is the 450R top speed?
-Ive been hearing about alot of cracking issues with the frame, a-arms and other parts, how much of a problem is this and does honda back any of that stuff after the initial 6 mo. warranty?
-One thing I dont like about the Honda that Yamaha has is grease fittings. I dont trust the sealed everything. Stuff still gets in, especially the bearing carrier from what im hearing. Can you install a grease fitting into the stock carrier?
-How is the suspension for jumping?
-Is anything new for 05?
-AND FINALLY How much did you pay for your 450? This would be the biggest help. I need some tips to really get a good price. I live in MD and we have 5% sales tax and $500 worth of freight and set-up fees. I went to the dealer today and they wanted $7600 out the door for an 05! I talked them down to $6800 on their last 04. I think this is way too much. I think ill go to West Virginia or Deleware to buy it. But anyway, got any tips for getting a good deal and negotiating or inside info for how a dealership works?

allmixedup047
10-05-2004, 08:43 PM
i paid 6000 out the door for my 04 R back in april.
top speed stock is 74, in a drag race with the YFZ it will honestly depend on the rider. they are about as equal as it can get. the YFZ power is more jerky and burst and the TRX is real real smooth, advantages to both.
i havnt had any problems with my frame or arms and ive put them through the test, but i too have heard of people having problems with them, and from my understanding honda will cover it in a 6month warranty, i just took mine in today for a leaky seal on the shifter, they didnt even take a look at it before they told me they would cover it, they just knew the bike was under warranty so they took it in.
the shocks that come on them are really good shocks are adjustable. some people have been having problems with the rear shock not doing what they wanted it to do but im not sure what that was.

hope this helps you out at all.

Martin Blair
10-05-2004, 08:51 PM
I got mine for 5750 out the door in kansascity. The frame has been no problem for me the front suspension is awsome rear needs some work, but overall its worth it. If racing mx or jumping alot i would gusset the frame, I race xc and am paling on doing it as well just in case i crash or something dont want to hurt frame as well.

allmixedup047
10-05-2004, 08:52 PM
just found out that honda will cover the a-arms if they think that it was a fualty a-arm. so if it breaks on the weld or ball joint or something like that. i doubt they would cover it if you snapped it in half from a wreck.

allmixedup047
10-05-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by HN400exracer
I got mine for 5750 out the door in kansascity.

oh, i hate you!!!:grr: where did you buy yours from?

Martin Blair
10-05-2004, 08:58 PM
well we drove down to this lil town buy burlington kansas and the guy gave us a quote for 5600 but didnt have any in stock had to order one, so i remebered Freedom Cycle has this price match deal so we took the signed quoe there and the guy said he could do 5750 since they had it we bought it from them I payed 3000 my parents paid the other 2750 but it was 5750 out the door, taxes, everything.

Were probably going to fingerlake or perry this weekend want to get a group ride going?

TWISTED
10-05-2004, 09:01 PM
$5399 OTD at Abernathy Honda in Union City Tenn. Same dealership that sponsors Joe Byrd.

allmixedup047
10-05-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by HN400exracer
well we drove down to this lil town buy burlington kansas and the guy gave us a quote for 5600 but didnt have any in stock had to order one, so i remebered Freedom Cycle has this price match deal so we took the signed quoe there and the guy said he could do 5750 since they had it we bought it from them I payed 3000 my parents paid the other 2750 but it was 5750 out the door, taxes, everything.
ok not i really hate you:mad: :grr: , thats where i bought mine. oh well at least they didnt get what they originally wanted for them when i went to look at freedom, they wanted 7200.:eek2:
when did you buy yours?

Martin Blair
10-05-2004, 09:05 PM
we got it almost 2 months ago so that probably why it was a little cheaper

mo450r
10-06-2004, 10:56 AM
Got my 05 otd for $5775 at Pro Cycle in Columbia.

quadjeff
10-06-2004, 12:19 PM
You should first ride both bikes. I purchased Honda because it is just that "A Honda" My main sponsor has all three four strokes, honda, yamaha, and suzuki.
-Honda has had some cracking on the frame and the rear end is not so good. Also the power is smooth and does not have the hit of a 2 stroke like yamaha..

-Yamahas are having serve motor failures. Yamaha this month will post a notice to check rod bearing and fatigue around the piston where the wrist pins go on the piston. If you notice the pros blowing there quads up it is due the oil not lubricating the wrist pin and bearing causing the bearing to freeze up and then causing serve cracks on the piston and skirt. Yamaha still has not fixed the iginition problem and yes they will replace it with a new stator but still has a reoccuring issue.

-Suzuki has a good handling machine but you have to pour a ton of money in the motor to run with the other two.

I have been hammering my honda non-stop for 6 months and it has been great. Just take note that the swift change happening in GNCC and GNC for 2005. You are not going to see 90%yamahas. If Chris Borich would have made the change earlier Ballance would have some be issues.

Overall ride each and make you own choice but 'Ride Red"

sharkinthepool
10-06-2004, 12:31 PM
I have heard the same as everyone has stated. The YFZ is low end burst and the TRX is smooth. But I think after riding both that the YFZ is faster top end, but the TRX has more low end. But I am just a rider and that is what I think.

My buddy is a "A" class rider and runs the pro classes at the fair races and usually wins. He completely thrashes that TRX and he weighs a whopping 150 and he has had no problems with his frame or a-arms. But I have heard of this. It could have been faulty metal!

kazpr
10-06-2004, 12:52 PM
You KC guys we all need to hookup and make a SICK waynoka run sometime. There is about 10 or so of us guys in Emporia, Kansas that all ride. We go to the dunes as often as possible. We have a couple of nice private tracks for mx down here also. Later

ThumPIN_450R
10-06-2004, 02:06 PM
i got mine for 7000 and i have had my a arms bend and had one frame crack but i also have a friend with a yfz that has had three frame cracks and had complelty broke the peice off the frame that holds on the footpeg where the bolt goes in at and he has also lost 2 water pumps but this is an extremly fast pro class racer who weighs in around 215 pounds and a light day and in a drag race at the dunes with nobbies on both machines the start is all the determines the winner going up the hill that's with him being 215 lbs and me at 170

Southtown00
10-06-2004, 03:12 PM
Ok I found a dealer that does charge sales tax and freight and set up but I talked him down on a left over 04 that he has still in the crate for $6300 out the door, should I jump on it or go somewhere else?

sntheticdeluson
10-06-2004, 03:54 PM
if you dont plan on selling it any time soon you cant lose man

allmixedup047
10-06-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Southtown00
Ok I found a dealer that does charge sales tax and freight and set up but I talked him down on a left over 04 that he has still in the crate for $6300 out the door, should I jump on it or go somewhere else?
i dont know the price difference up there but from my understanding everything is more expensive there, so i would go to the dealer and tell him 6000 right now and i will buy it, if he says no then say ok i will pay 6300. it wont hurt, plus when your there and accualy ready to buy, all they see is dollar signs. if he says he wont sell it for 6000, you could try telling him your leaving then, and if he doenst give in go back later that day and buy it.

Southtown00
10-06-2004, 08:46 PM
Well 6300 is what I already talked him down too. He said he could do it. It wasnt really talking down though. it was more like I got a quote on an 04 at another dealership and i asked for 6500 out the door and they said no lower than 6700 so i went to another and said if they could do 6300 and he said yea. but i made the offer i would feel like an ***** for trying to give him another offer after he met my first. What do you think?

allmixedup047
10-06-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Southtown00
Well 6300 is what I already talked him down too. He said he could do it. It wasnt really talking down though. it was more like I got a quote on an 04 at another dealership and i asked for 6500 out the door and they said no lower than 6700 so i went to another and said if they could do 6300 and he said yea. but i made the offer i would feel like an ***** for trying to give him another offer after he met my first. What do you think?
there is no such thing as feeling like an *** when talking to a dealer. i can tell you that he will be making well over 1000 dollars in profit if you buy it for 6300. they have room to deal from 6300.plus if you finance it, he will make more money from honda for the intrest rate that he gives you. honda gives them kickbacks for bikes they finance, and dont let him give you any higher than 6.9% on your rate.
accualy what i would tell him is i will pay 6300, if he gives you the HRC kit with it. tell him you will put it in yourself, then he will try telling you that it voids the warranty if you put it in yourself, but it doesnt void it unless that it is obiouse that the way you put it in did the harm to the bike.

but hey, its your money, atleast you talked him down, but i wont hurt if you try to get a better deal for yourself, thats why they call them DEALERS.:blah: they are supposed to deal with you.

Southtown00
10-06-2004, 10:18 PM
Yea your right, ill see what I can do.