PDA

View Full Version : oops...

efilnicafesin
10-05-2004, 06:38 AM
I got a new set of Maier plastics for my kids LT80..... Of course, the fronts don't come drilled out. So I'm drilling out the bottom holes by the gas tank- the plastic isn't touching the tank, but the drill but touched the tank and went through.... :mad: The tank is plastic and very soft. I was able to tap the hole and put a bolt in it covered with teflon tape. It is not leaking now, but it will not last forever... Is there an expoxy that will bond to the plastic and resist gasoline?

Also... has anyone sucessfully painted the plastic tank and engine cover and had it last for any period of time? I put blue plastics on it and a black and blue seat cover, but the engine cover is yellow and the gas tank is faded blue.... I picked up some of Rustoleum paint meant for the outdoor plastic chairs and stuff... hopefully it will hold up...

dirtmomma
10-05-2004, 08:27 AM
DOH!! sounds like something that would happen to us LOL ;) As for the paint, I painted my 300 w/ Krylon Fusion & it is holding up good!! I just painted it red like it was though. As for the tank hmmmm not sure sounds like it's gonna be a nice little LT though better post a pic when it's done!!

efilnicafesin
10-08-2004, 09:12 AM
I will post some before and after pics when I get it all done. I'm gonna hopefully give it some paint this weekend, if I can keep my son off it :o.... Its been over a week and the gas tank still isn't leaking so far.

efilnicafesin
10-11-2004, 06:41 AM
Here are some after pics of the lt80... Its still not 100% done, but its starting to come together. I used the plastic paint for the engine covers, and it appeared to hold up pretty well when I reinstalled it. I fought to get the cover on, and it hardly scratched it. I'll get some before pics as soon as I find them..

http://seickel.com/ken/lt80/quadfront.jpg

http://seickel.com/ken/lt80/quadright.jpg

I still need to paint the gas tank.....

And here are all of my toys :D

http://seickel.com/ken/lt80/all3.jpg

dirtmomma
10-11-2004, 08:43 AM
:cool: looks good!! I kinda think the tank blends in good because of the seat cover they look about the same color? Wish we could of put new plastics on our LT but I know that won't happen LOL I like the 250 too ;) I got one too, well a 3?? anyway :D :devil: So if you were to compare that Viper & LT which one would you rather ride??? I've been looking @ those Vipers, we have a LEM Condor for our lil guy, & a TRX90 & a LT, but he rides the LEM<he started on the LT but too much power for him it's pumped up to a 105 I think, getting ready to redo the bearings in the 90 for him to start ridding maybe, if he could ride it on the trail it wuold be ALOT better than the lil LEM cuz it doesn't like water :( & we'd like to keep the LEM for racing so we'll have to see!! ANYWAY they ALL look GREAT!!

efilnicafesin
10-11-2004, 09:12 AM
The pic is kinda washed out of the gas tank. It doesn't quite match, although new lettering may improve the match.
The plastic set wasn't cheap, but we bought my youngest the brand new Viper and the older one was kinda pissed he was riding this cracked up crappy looking quad. I got it for free, so I could afford to put a few bucks into it to dress it up. I still need front tires bad, and will probably paint the rims at least.
The Lt and the Viper are totally different and hard to compare. Neither have left my yard yet, so I'm not sure how either one trail rides. The LT is a bit bouncier than the Viper, but the Viper shocks are new. My oldest will turn 7 in December and he rides the LT wide open without trouble. My youngest just turned 5 and the Viper is his first taste other than being a passenger. The throttle is very restricted for him right now, but he has a blast. It looks like a decently built machine and there are upgrades available, including a 70cc bore kit. I can do wheelies on the LT, but unless I stand on the grab bar of the Viper, the front end doesn't move.

Over all, I think the Viper is a great started quad for a youngster. For someone who has raced or ridden a quad, I don't know if I would go with the 50cc. I think my little one will outgrow it fairly quickly and I will be looking at a bigger engine probably by next spring/summer. I think the LT is a decent starter, but will not be outgrown as quickly. Before winter sets in, I want to get my little ones into the woods a bit and see how they do.

As for my 250, I love it, but I'm ready for more power :D... It handles nice, it runs out great for a 250, especially with U4 fuel....