PDA

View Full Version : thermal-shock

nosliw
10-05-2004, 12:58 AM
say my motor is pretty hot, just going back to the campsite from a long days riding, and i go through a large puddle. maybe the puddle is deep enough to partially submerge (1/3 or so) my engine. what is the danger in that? im hoping im just paranoid. i just want to make sure my engine block doesnt crack because of the cold water hitting it

how real of a possibility is cracking my engine because of thermal shock?:o

speedy400
10-05-2004, 05:50 PM
I think it depends on the temp of the water the most, I meen, xc racers go through puddles all the time in races, and I'm pretty sure they got the motor going pretty hot, and the lower 1/3rd of the motor has a nice buffer of heat(oil, for the most part). But I'm not saying its not possible by any meens, but I wouldnt worry about it unless the water temp is 35 degrees, and you're machine is darn near ready to burn down itself. Only case I've seen of an engine block breaking is a buddie's scrambler 400 2-stroke, totally modded out, too much compression for the motor, and it just basically cracked nicely in the middle of a ride( "hey look, I can see the piston!)-darren