PDA

View Full Version : sealing goo instead of gaskets?

440ex2001
10-04-2004, 11:43 PM
Have seen people talking about using goo instead of gaskets. Is this a good idea? I dont think it would be very reliable but what do you guys running your motors this way think?

cals400ex
10-05-2004, 09:53 AM
i run hondabond instead of a base gasket underneath my cylinder. this is on a 426. two of my buddies, one with a 416 and the other with a 406 both use the same stuff. we have yet to have one problem. this will only raise your compression a bit and give a better flame travel over the piston. i will be doing this next time i have my bike apart. i am pleased with the results.

DaleJrFan
10-05-2004, 06:25 PM
working in a steel mill for a couple of years we used this high temp sealant for all our gasket work,never had a problem. i have used the same stuff on several vechile rebuilds and never had a problem with a gasket yet.i used it on the rebuild of my wifes blaster and it has run great for a year now.you can use it on transmissions,head gaskets or water hoses.it is great!! it is called LOCTITE 518. kinda hard to find but you can get it at most industrial supply stores. i would swear by it.

Glamis400ex
10-05-2004, 06:50 PM
I did that on my 416 re-build, but decide to remove it. Be carefull you don't plug the hole that runs oil up the side of the cylinder to your cam. When I took mine apart, the hole was half plugged...not good.

Glamis

roostin_dale
10-05-2004, 06:58 PM
I see it as a temporary fix (the red high temp sealant)...I use the gaskets along with that stuff....i dont think i would use it by itself

cals400ex
10-05-2004, 09:55 PM
yeah, everyone has their own opinion. i have had good luck and i will continue to use it. my buddy did notice a little bit of power gain when using this along with 1 layer of the head gasket. i have a feeling it may have been from the better flame travel more so than the added compression. however, his gain was consistent from low end to top end. not huge, but everything matters, especially when your trying to catch the 450's. i don't really recommend the 1-layer head gasket since we did have a few problems there. also, some claim the RTV sealant can be broken down by oil. this is why we use honda bond. it is a gasket maker. it won't be broken down by oil. i agree, don't plug any holes. also, it doesn't take much to seal properly so don't over do it. mickey dunlap was the one who brought this to my attention.