PDA

View Full Version : bout to tear into the motor...any tips

user101
10-04-2004, 09:25 PM
well i went and got a haynes service manual and im gonna start gettin this thing apart and ready to go...any tips or things to watch out for?

nosliw
10-04-2004, 09:44 PM
make sure to keep everything your going to take off and everything around that clean so crap doesnt get in it

cals400ex
10-04-2004, 09:51 PM
i would read and understand what the manual is saying.

mojoe2878
10-04-2004, 09:54 PM
be sure to put all the nuts and bolts and small parts in a coffee can,box or some kind of container so you can keep up with them all. that way you dont spend more time lookin for a little piece that got miss placed than you do actually workin on the motor.

04hmf400
10-05-2004, 08:13 AM
I would recomend puting all of the nuts and bolts into ziplock bebags.This bags can be labeled on them of wat is in them.You will need to wire the timing chain up. So it will not fall into the bottom-end or off of the crank sprocket

cals400ex
10-05-2004, 09:49 AM
for the bolts, i like to make a drawing on a cardboard box and stick them in their correct places. you will probably want to do this for the head cover for sure since those are different lengths. well, that is if you do remove the bolts from the cover.

Jay300ex
10-05-2004, 05:44 PM
What are you doing to your motor? Top End? Bottom End?

If its just the top end, and its going to be a quick job then work on a good size bench, and lay things down neatly and orderly in a pattern. That way when you are putting it all back together, just assemble your pattern in reverse.

Remove small bolts first, then big bolts in a criss cross pattern from the outside in. Install the large bolts first and tighten in a criss cross pattern and torque in increments of 3.

Pay close attention to your cam timing, read that manual before doing your work. If you have any questions make sure you ask, those cheaper manuals leave out info that is in the 'REAL' service manuals for a reason.

toby400ex
10-05-2004, 07:44 PM
If u havent taken anything apart on the engine before, give it a good stare down when ur taking it apart, like after u take off the valve cover. Just so u have a better memory of what u did when ur putting it back together. I hate putting something to gether and not remembering seeing that part before.

sparks400
10-05-2004, 08:42 PM
sperate all bolts, what ever gaskets u take off put new ones on, make sure u torque all bolts to spec, and adjust vavles, i think the clearence for vavles r .010 intake and .012 exhaust. good luck

user101
10-05-2004, 09:00 PM
ok thanks