PDA

View Full Version : frame cracking

400rider01
10-04-2004, 07:14 PM
How many frames out there have crack beside the upper motor mount? Is anyone having any luck in getting a new frame from honda or how are you fixing this problem? any info would be alot of help. I really dont want to have to buy a new frame from planet honda for 500 bucks.

10-04-2004, 07:22 PM
i have to buy a new frame from planet honda but my problem is differen then yours....honda prob. wont help you with your frame either...bump

Pappy
10-04-2004, 07:27 PM
there are more frame issues then you would think. take the quad to your dealer and see what they will do. some have been handling the issue with replacement frames, others are being typical duesch bags

atvmx14
10-04-2004, 07:28 PM
My Frame was broken while under factory warranty and was covered by honda just still waiting for it!! Its been like 4 weeks!

dirtriderex
10-04-2004, 09:02 PM
What should 450r owners do to prevent this? Would buying a aftermarket frame be your best bet?

blasterkid
10-04-2004, 09:56 PM
the most sensible thing would be to guesset it

kazpr
10-04-2004, 09:58 PM
Ya I need to get w/a company and get mine done this winter as I am very good @ crashing :)

Martin Blair
10-04-2004, 10:09 PM
Well im not gussting my frame this year but if my frame breaks, its under 4 year warnety, (mainly because its the frist model year and usually something isnt perfect, but it is a honda, i probably wont need it) If my frame breaks they better replace it or ima kill some little ****s

RedRacer44
10-04-2004, 10:37 PM
I had 2 BAD crashes at the MX track, 2 weekends in a row....yup, hairline cracks in 2 places on my frame. One near the motor mount where everyone is getting them and another on the cross section bar on the front of the frame....right in front of radiator.

Welded up the hairline crack on the motor mount, holding up well. The other one is a low stress area which doesnt make any sense why it cracked.....anyways, i'm stripping my quad down later this winter and getting it gusseted. Going to repair the trouble spots where they are needed.....should be good to go though. Frames are relatively cheap, I mean, $500 is a lot of $$$ but i think it could be worse. A subframe is just like $265 or so....i'm getting a new one of those too since my was bent in the 1st bad crash...gettin' that ***** polished!

kazpr
10-04-2004, 10:53 PM
"Well im not gussting my frame this year but if my frame breaks, its under 4 year warnety" 4 yr warranty on the frame? Had no idea thanks for the heads up!

quadjeff
10-05-2004, 08:30 AM
Mine broke on both sides of the motor mount. Also had some hairline cracks around the top shock mounts. Holz racing welded and gusseted the entire bike with powder coat for $400 bucks. I will get some pics on this week on the gusseting...

dunebuggie66
10-05-2004, 08:33 AM
my frame cracked by the left upper motor mount. i took it to the dealer and they had it for two days, took pics of it and sent info to honda. honda is going to replace the frame and said that i could weld it and gusset it in the mean time. since i took it in i have had 5 more cracks. one in the same spot as the first crack on ly on the o;ther side. two on the bottom cross piece back by the swingarm, and two on the frame supports up by the steering stem mount. i have welded and gusseted these spots, and when i get my new frame i will be installing a gusset kit before i put it togetrher. hopefully i will not have any other problems with this frame.

450 Racer R
10-05-2004, 12:27 PM
what caused these frames to crack? a crash? coming up short on a jump? are they fairly easy to crack?

dunebuggie66
10-05-2004, 12:50 PM
mine has only been in two moderate crashes. nothing serious, not on the frame anyway. i do race mx, so i guess there's always more stress on the frame than normal riding. but they suposedly made these quads to withstand the vigors of racing. the two motor mount cracks are in a fairly low stress area ,i would think. now the cracks by the steering stem are a little more realistic it seems.

ThumPIN_450R
10-05-2004, 01:23 PM
I had mine crack by the left upper motor mount so I welded it and made my own gusset to pu on it and put some pics up of that holz gusset kit jeff I want to copy it so I don't have to pay for one cause i'm all out of money after ordering my shocks and front end

400rider01
10-05-2004, 01:26 PM
when you took your frame to the honda dealer did you leave your aarms, shocks and all of that stuff on it or did you turn it back to stock. Also did the warranty cover it or did honda coverit. Because my warranty just expired but my dealer said that they would take pics and send them to honda.

bigfoot300ex
10-05-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by RedRacer44
I had 2 BAD crashes at the MX track, 2 weekends in a row....yup, hairline cracks in 2 places on my frame. One near the motor mount where everyone is getting them and another on the cross section bar on the front of the frame....right in front of radiator.

Welded up the hairline crack on the motor mount, holding up well. The other one is a low stress area which doesnt make any sense why it cracked.....anyways, i'm stripping my quad down later this winter and getting it gusseted. Going to repair the trouble spots where they are needed.....should be good to go though. Frames are relatively cheap, I mean, $500 is a lot of $$$ but i think it could be worse. A subframe is just like $265 or so....i'm getting a new one of those too since my was bent in the 1st bad crash...gettin' that ***** polished!

subframes are 265?
dang i gotta come up with like 800 bucks in the next few weeks
i had a bad wreck this weekend at the races
im out for the rest of the season
somehow i gotta get enough money for a new subframe,handlebars,levers,front bumper,grabbar.and maybe an axle
i had a terrible wreck-broke my talus and tibula in my right foot

iceracer65
10-05-2004, 03:51 PM
You guys should be careful not to over gusset the frame...guy I know who races the gncTT's said he got his suzuki 400z frame gusseted...handles like crap now...too stiff. Keep in mind that this is flattrack...mx you may be able to get away with it. ( you might have to)

Shawn H
10-05-2004, 04:39 PM
I have broke my frame in 4places all due to a couple good crashes :( I welded the cracks up and will be gusseting after the 12hrs of america race.

Then Im bringing on the bling! :cool:

dunebuggie66
10-06-2004, 08:22 AM
i left all of my aftermarket stuff on it when i took it to the dealer. i was a little worried that honda wouldn't stand behind it but they are going to. i mean everything is aftermarket except the frame and motor. i do believe my warrenty was up, and honda still stood behind it. i guess since it cracked where it did it had nothing to do with aftermarket parts.

10-06-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
there are more frame issues then you would think. take the quad to your dealer and see what they will do. some have been handling the issue with replacement frames, others are being typical duesch bags

haha
he said duesch bags........i like it

allmixedup047
10-07-2004, 01:12 AM
are these all on the older bikes or what? from what i heard they are just the first couple months they came out. but i dont know.
i havnt had any problems with mine cracking and i rolled it down a dune, i bent my grab bar sideways, and tie-rod was bent like this, ^.