PDA

View Full Version : what oil do you use?

fastmofo
10-04-2004, 07:10 PM
the guy i bought my wheeler from said he always used valvoline 10w40 in it, doesnt that seem a little thin for a wheeler? my buddy always ran vr1 20w50 in his 400ex. tell me what you guys use, and opinions on them, thanks!!

ex101
10-04-2004, 09:09 PM
I just use Honda GN4 in my 400 ex,many people here use Mobil 1 which I use in my truck,synthetic that is.

ss440ex
10-04-2004, 11:28 PM
Honda GN 4

nosliw
10-05-2004, 12:52 AM
only changed mine once, used gn4. next time i'll use GN4, then after that i'll use HP4 everytime

sickmojave
10-05-2004, 05:59 AM
MOBIL 1 red cap ;)

10-05-2004, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by sickmojave
MOBIL 1 red cap ;) yup....

Rico
10-05-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by sickmojave
MOBIL 1 red cap ;)

Only the best.

I'd have to say that if anyone is running conventional oil your damaging your engine if you put more than 6 hours of ride time on your motor between changes...:eek:

I break down conventional oil within 2 hours of riding so that oil is pretty much spent and not doing it's job. I change my synthetic every 4-5 hours and it looks just about the same as when I put it in there so I know it's working.. ;)

TRXRacer1
10-05-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Only the best.

I'd have to say that if anyone is running conventional oil your damaging your engine if you put more than 6 hours of ride time on your motor between changes...:eek:

I break down conventional oil within 2 hours of riding so that oil is pretty much spent and not doing it's job. I change my synthetic every 4-5 hours and it looks just about the same as when I put it in there so I know it's working.. ;)
:rolleyes:

khen
10-05-2004, 09:47 AM
I noticed a big improvement in performance and oil life when I switched to Mobil 1 red cap. I am replacing my clutch now after about 2 years of riding. I don't know if it was due to the oil though, I tend to feather my clutch rather than downshifting a lot.

UglyMotha™
10-05-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1

that's so cute :o :rolleyes:

torqen2k1
10-05-2004, 08:46 PM
Next oil change is going to be Mobil "1" Red Cap;)

PismoGuy400
10-05-2004, 10:58 PM
yea mobil 1 as said many times before.

Rico
10-06-2004, 08:41 AM

Well then prove me wrong big boy, instead of rollin your eyes..:macho

Taco
10-06-2004, 10:09 AM
Mobil1 15w50 in the quad and mobil1 5w30 in da truck.:D

bradley300
10-06-2004, 10:13 AM
motul 20w50 full synthetic

TRXRacer1
10-06-2004, 11:05 AM
Well then prove me wrong big boy, instead of rollin your eyes..:macho
lmao, are you really getting heated over a rolling eye?
Unless your foaming up your oil some how you won't break down oil in 2 hours.

Rico
10-06-2004, 11:17 AM
lmao, are you really getting heated over a rolling eye?
Unless your foaming up your oil some how you won't break down oil in 2 hours.

Run your quad for over 2 hours none stop like I have many times and see what your oil looks like. Get back to me when you've done this..

And No i'm didn't get fired up at the roll eye's comment but WTF kind of response is that if your not saying anything.

Girls in my High school used to roll their eye's all the time and it told me pretty much nothing..

UglyMotha™
10-06-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Taco
mobil1 5w30 in da truck.:D

what do you run that good of oil in that piece for :huh :confused:

I-7
10-06-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by ss440ex
Honda GN 4

Pappy
10-06-2004, 11:34 AM

Girls in my High school used to roll their eye's all the time and it told me pretty much nothing..

that will teach you to zip up:devil:

hondarider2006
10-06-2004, 11:45 AM
When my motor was stock, I ran mobile 1 red cap and it was great, seeing as how I could get case of it for $5:rolleyes: But than I thought about how thick that oil was, I mean running 15w-50 at -20 probably isn't the best for the 'ol oil pump. After the rebuild I ran regular Honda 10w-40, and that was great until it ran out and my motor seized...I am thinking about going back to the mobile 1 when I get my new motor, not 100% sure on that though. Might just stick with the plain cheap stuff....

TRXRacer1
10-06-2004, 11:49 AM
Run your quad for over 2 hours none stop like I have many times and see what your oil looks like. Get back to me when you've done this..

Don't wait for me to get back, I've been here and been doing it for 18+ years. Don't worry, I'm sure we both know how to ride hard. As far as beating up oil try running a commercial drill rig wide open for 400hrs. I've seen royal purple desroyed within 5hrs in gear boxes. I'm a big believer in synthetics but I would never claim a 2 hour brake down on conventionals. I've ran conventionals in my 250R and my LT for full day rides and not ever seen this breakdown like you have. I ride hard and beat my machines like I rented them because I wouldn't own them if I couldn't ride them hard. My ex may not be fully modded up yet but I've had about 10 differernt machines that have been.

Personaly I thought it was a good responce. If we had the BS emoticon I would have used that one.

Rico
10-06-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
that will teach you to zip up:devil:

You WILL get kikked up at the St. Clairsville GNCC if you show up buddy...:mad:

Pappy
10-06-2004, 11:56 AM
You WILL get kikked up at the St. Clairsville GNCC if you show up buddy...:mad:

http://www.ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/bsflag.gif

Taco
10-06-2004, 12:39 PM
Don't wait for me to get back, I've been here and been doing it for 18+ years. Don't worry, I'm sure we both know how to ride hard. As far as beating up oil try running a commercial drill rig wide open for 400hrs. I've seen royal purple desroyed within 5hrs in gear boxes. I'm a big believer in synthetics but I would never claim a 2 hour brake down on conventionals. I've ran conventionals in my 250R and my LT for full day rides and not ever seen this breakdown like you have. I ride hard and beat my machines like I rented them because I wouldn't own them if I couldn't ride them hard. My ex may not be fully modded up yet but I've had about 10 differernt machines that have been.

Personaly I thought it was a good responce. If we had the BS emoticon I would have used that one.
How in the hell can you compare using conventional oil in a 2 stroke thats watercooled to an aircooled 4 stroke?????:huh

TRXRacer1
10-06-2004, 12:52 PM
How in the hell can you compare using conventional oil in a 2 stroke thats watercooled to an aircooled 4 stroke?????:huh

http://www.bluetraxx.com/phpBB/images/smiles/jerkit.gifAre you serious? Okay how about my 330ex and my 400ex? I can do the same long runs with them too.

Taco
10-06-2004, 01:30 PM
http://www.bluetraxx.com/phpBB/images/smiles/jerkit.gifAre you serious? Okay how about my 330ex and my 400ex? I can do the same long runs with them too. Yes I'm serious two totally different motors and the oils are subjected to totally different circumstances. By all means prove me wrong.

TRXRacer1
10-06-2004, 01:35 PM
Yes I'm serious two totally different motors and the oils are subjected to totally different circumstances. By all means prove me wrong.
It's your issue, you prove it.

Rico
10-07-2004, 08:28 AM

I consider oil broke down when it's black. You might not but I do. Conventional oil in my quad after a 2 hour hard ride is blacker than the ace of spades. Therefor I consider it broke down and not helping my motor.

That is the purpose of running synthetic oil because it will not brake down as quickly.

Do you change the oil in your vehicle every 2500 or 3000 miles or do you go 5000 - 6000 because you don't think the oil has broke down yet at the 3,000 mile mark???

torqen2k1
10-07-2004, 08:54 AM
I consider oil broke down when it's black. You might not but I do. Conventional oil in my quad after a 2 hour hard ride is blacker than the ace of spades. Therefor I consider it broke down and not helping my motor.

That is the purpose of running synthetic oil because it will not brake down as quickly.

Do you change the oil in your vehicle every 2500 or 3000 miles or do you go 5000 - 6000 because you don't think the oil has broke down yet at the 3,000 mile mark???

It depends on how you drive your car. If it is black by 3k then change it. But, if it is not black but a tan color you dont need to change it right away because it hasnt brokin down yet. Thats my opinion. I tend to change it around 4k or more thats because I use synthetic. When I used conventional by the time it was 3k it was black.

TRXRacer1
10-07-2004, 09:39 AM
Modern motor oils contain detergent-dispersant additives that keep engine parts clean by removing carbon deposits which are held in a harmless suspension in the oil. So basicaly just because it's black doesn't mean it's broke down. It's just a sign that the oil is doing it's job. You can have pretty high carbon levels (blackness) with the oil still protecting your motor. Black does not mean broke down.

My truck gets the oil and filter changed every 3000 miles because I use it for work and do a lot of heavy hauling with it. Now the Civic is interesting, Honda recomends the oil to be changed every 10,000 with a filter change only every 20,000. I'm sure Honda knows what they are talking about but it's cheap so I do a filter and oil change every 5000 miles. Supisingly the carbon build up is fairly low in 5000.

Pappy
10-07-2004, 09:44 AM
it maybe ok in a car, but the last time i checked a honda civic doesnt use the engine oil to lube the transmission?

clutch fibers and other metal fragments are constantly contaminating your oil (400ex, 300ex etc) so a more frequent oil change is required.

my understanding is that conventional oil will turn black within a few minutes in some engines due to the heat, but i was told its normal so i go by hours instead of oil color.

TRXRacer1
10-07-2004, 09:49 AM
:huh I never said it was the same, he asked about my vehicle maintenace too.