PDA

View Full Version : 13tooth sproket on a 400ex

yellowrider
04-11-2002, 08:37 PM
i'm going to make this as short as possible so hang with me for a min, or two..

i am thinking about a 13 tooth sproket... (whats your opinons on the 13 tooth sproket has anyone ever been that low or what about the 12?)

the reason why i want to know is because i am happy with the top speed that my 400ex has now it is i hate taking so long to get there if you know what i mean .. and i like that power punch to it and i think the 13 will pack enough punch what do you think ? (i seen people go with 12 tooth sproket on there raptors)

2 times i have been clocked by a car one was 70-71
and the other time it was a steady 73

i know what you all are going to say but hey that is the only thing i have that can clock my speed .. anyways it gives me a idea what kind of speed i have.. ... ..

so i am thinking about going to a 14 or 13 when my dealer finally gets one in .. which one will make it more powerful ...
i ride in woods alot i dont race
i only have two friends that are faster then me but when they start braggin to much i get the old scrammy out and smoke there candy a2z if you know what i mean:devil

any oif you all tried this set up if so please give me a full report on it and a line or two about what you didnt liek about it what you did..

04-11-2002, 09:26 PM
I"m getting a 14 tooth for mine.
I've never heard of anyone having a 13 tooth before but i bet it would wheelie like a mug

JustRace
04-11-2002, 09:48 PM
I don't even think they make a 13 tooth. That would go threw the gears way to fast. 14t would be good for the woods riding.

yellowrider
04-12-2002, 03:58 AM
yeah but wouldnt it help me on hill climbing?? if i geared it down to a 13 tooth cause some hills i climb i cant be on hte meat of the powerband and it seems it wants to die out on me so that is why i am considering 13tooth sproket

honda400exrider
04-12-2002, 05:37 AM
you mught be able tohave a custom made sprocket, but the 14 seems fine, because if you think about it w/ a 14 tooth you prob. loose 3-5mph and thats a big difference. why dont u just get the 14 (20 bucks) and if you don like keep looking for a 13 tooth but the 14 sounds pretty good for what u do!:)

MadcapEX
04-12-2002, 05:51 AM
I put a 14 on mine,HUGE DIFFERENCE. I can almost let the clutch out from a stop with no gas, revs much quicker,pulls harder and wheelies much easier(like it was hard before).

04-12-2002, 06:45 AM
Pretty sure you can get one from SideWinder Sprockets. Even a 12.

JabberJaw
04-12-2002, 08:07 AM
I have a 14t front and 43t rear, all the hill climbing power you will ever need.

VegasEx'r
04-12-2002, 10:54 AM
a 14t makes 1st way too short (you really don't even need it), but it is awesome for hill climbs. A 13 might be a little too low. Front sprockets are pretty cheap, buy em both, or buy the first one you find & then decide if you want the other. BTW I didn't know 13t were available for the 400.

TargetBow
04-12-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by JabberJaw
I have a 14t front and 43t rear, all the hill climbing power you will ever need.

Hey JabberJaw:
Did you have to modify anything in order to get the 43t rear sprocket to fit? I have a 2001 400EX which had a 38t rear sprocket and I went to a 39t rear and it looked like that was the biggest I could put on without any modifications to the wear strip on the skid plate, because the chain was amost touching the wear strip near the sprocket on the skid plate. I thought by going with a bigger rear sprocket than that it would pinch the chain.

ChadEXer
04-12-2002, 03:31 PM
I know Sidewinder can make any sprocket,,,I couldnt imagine having it geared that low though!!!

ATV_MAN
04-12-2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by yellowrider
yeah but wouldnt it help me on hill climbing?? if i geared it down to a 13 tooth cause some hills i climb i cant be on hte meat of the powerband and it seems it wants to die out on me so that is why i am considering 13tooth sproket
I think it would be worse if you geared it that low because you couldnt keep the front end down when climbing hills.

leel
04-12-2002, 08:14 PM
Remember,
If you have 22 inch rear tires, then going to a 14 tooth just gets you back close to stock gearing. Then going to a 13 gears you down to what a 14 tooth would have been with stock tires....
(did that make sense?)
Good luck,
Lorrin

ATV_MAN
04-12-2002, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by leel
Remember,
If you have 22 inch rear tires, then going to a 14 tooth just gets you back close to stock gearing. Then going to a 13 gears you down to what a 14 tooth would have been with stock tires....
(did that make sense?)
Good luck,
Lorrin
I undersatnd what you mean leel . They will just cancel each other out.

RideRed04
04-12-2002, 10:54 PM
Dont go to a 13 sproket. Do you have a 14 now? With a 13 your first 2 gears will be worthless. I can let my clutch out now (stock gearing) from a stop with no gas and get going. Being able to control your clutch is more important on hills then low gearing. If it is bogging, downshift! I dont think there is a hill in this country that is so steep that you would have a chance to let it bog down in 1st gear. I personally think that you need to work on riding skills more then modding your bike.