PDA

View Full Version : NJ Riders - Star Ledger Article

efilnicafesin
10-04-2004, 01:57 PM
ATV riders seek a free-wheeling site in North Jersey
Monday, October 04, 2004
BY SALLY GOLDENBERG
Star-Ledger Staff

For Jessica Paladini, the Maple Grange property in Vernon is a natural treasure with important archaeological artifacts.

For Michael Lohwin, it is a perfect spot to blaze the trails on his all-terrain vehicle (ATV).

For months, the 183-acre site has been the nexus of a heated debate in the Sussex County community between those who want to protect it and those who want to rip through it, legally.

"It was an incredible place to ride," said Lohwin, a Vernon resident who rode the trails in the spring. "Big property, not a lot of rocks, smooth trails. It was just really nice trails."

Paladini, who fought for the land's state and federal historic designation, called damage done to the land by ATVs "staggering."

"By riding the ATVs they definitely are stripping the top soil and leaving the artifacts exposed," said Paladini, also a Vernon resident.

The dispute here is being played out all over northern New Jersey, where enthusiasts say there is no legal spot on public land for ATVs.

Local and state officials throughout New Jersey have begun strengthening rules and sponsoring legislation against ATV riding, saying the four-wheel machines tear up land, pose safety threats and generate unbearable noise.

The state Department of Environmental Protection banned the activity on state land in 1990 and intensified enforcement two years ago, leaving riders with five legal riding places in South Jersey, only one of which resembles the natural trails riders are seeking.

"The state spends millions of dollars a year for Green Acres, but when they do that, they turn it into passive recreation only," said John De Filippo, a Jefferson resident.

De Filippo, who prefers trekking 690 miles to ride his quad and dirt bike in Bath, N.H., said state officials should open an ATV park in the northern half of New Jersey.

State Environmental Commissioner Bradley Campbell said the DEP will open a park in South Jersey next year. He said he has no immediate plans to open public land to ATVs in North Jersey, but would not rule it out.

"Our commitment is to try to find an appropriate place for lawful ATV use by safe riders," Campbell said.

Emile DeVito of the New Jersey Conservation Foundation, a non-profit, land-preservation group, said suitable land for ATV use in North Jersey is scarce.

"It's been very difficult in northern New Jersey. Too many people. Nobody wants these things near them," said DeVito, manager of science and stewardship for the organization.

The Conservation Foundation leases a portion of property it owns in Chatsworth to the New Jersey Off-Road Vehicle Park, the one legal spot with trails. The lease expires in 2008 and the foundation does not want to renew it.

ATV riders say a new South Jersey location isn't the answer. North Jersey needs an ATV park, too.

"There's as many riders in North Jersey as there are in South Jersey," said John Parrinello, the state representative to the National Off-Highway Vehicle Conservation Council. "Logistically, it doesn't sound like it's going to solve the problem, does it? In North Jersey there's plenty of degraded land. We don't want pristine land."

He said the 769-acre plot in West Milford that once housed the Jungle Habitat safari park would be an ideal riding spot, but a DEP spokeswoman said nearby residents opposed the plan.

Riders say the state should use ATV registration fees to buy space in North Jersey. The state Motor Vehicle Commission collected $118,626 from those who registered their machines during the first six months of this year.

ATV riding has exploded in New Jersey over the past decade, mirroring a national trend.

In 1995, 907 new ATVs were registered in the state. This year 6,978 were registered in the first six months alone.

It is a trend that concerns environmentalists.

"It's devastating to the environment," said Judith Schleicher, a Morris County park commissioner.

The park commission is pushing for state legislation to enhance penalties in county parks.

Schleicher said the Mahlon Dickerson Reservation in Jefferson and Jonathan's Woods in Denville are among the areas that have been damaged by ATVs.

Denville recently banned the activity on all of its public land.

"Denville has a very aggressive Open Space program, and we just felt ATVs were destroying some of our most pristine property," Mayor Gene Feyl said.

Some ATV opponents like Sen. Shirley Turner (D-Mercer) say the machines are dangerous. After a woman in her district was fatally struck by an ATV in 2002, Turner drafted a bill, which is pending, to increase fines and require ATV riders caught on public streets and highways to have their vehicles impounded.

Nationally, the number of ATV-related injuries climbed from 110,100 in 2001 to 113,900 in 2002, an all-time high, according to a study conducted by the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Deaths resulting from ATV accidents totaled 5,239 from 1982 to 2002, according to the commission. New Jersey accounted for 37 of those deaths.

On Sept. 11, a Mount Olive man was killed when his ATV flipped over and crushed him while he was riding illegally in Blairstown along a railroad track. Officials said he was operating the vehicle under the influence of alcohol.

ATV riders say a safe, monitored park would attract most riders who are driving on prohibited land.

"Having legal riding areas will cut down on a lot of the problems, accidents specifically, because you're not just going to have an open area," Parrinello said. "You're going to have a safety check of both the machine and the rider."

As both sides continue their debate, ATVs continue to tear up land in the Maple Grange.

Paladini, the Vernon resident, said she is particularly disturbed with the destruction of the Black Creek Native American site, which has arrowheads dating back 8,000 years to Lenape Indian tribes.

"It's just so troubling that people would be riding on such a valuable historic resource and creating the damage that they are creating," Paladini said.

Lohwin, the Vernon ATV rider, said he now avoids the property since it has become the center of controversy.

"North Jersey needs something terribly," Lohwin said. "It would be such a gold mine for whoever (built) this."

Sally Goldenberg works in Morris County. She can be reached at (973) 539-7910 or sgoldenberg@starledger.com

JDiablo
10-04-2004, 02:32 PM
hell yea,i would love a narly place to ride around here,instead of going up to my lakehouse to ride which sux and chit now

buster369
10-26-2004, 08:35 PM
I live in Pa and they don't like any bikes becuase they say that they mess up the environment but then they take the trials that we have for this big multi million dollar perkiomen trial in which no motor vehichles r aloud but horses are. I have nothin against horses but that is messed up becuase a thousand pound horse doesn't tear up the ground and crap all over. I have seen many areas messed up by horses. In montgomery county they took the power lines that peco used to let us ride on becuase the ex distict attorney marino owns two big horse farms and he wanted to make money for horse boarding so he took all the park and big properties from us. It seems like the rich get richer and the workers don't get a f$ckin thing.

exrider44
11-10-2004, 08:50 AM
NJ sucks period for atvers. We hjave no place to ride and they complain about atv's ruinign tland. What about all the dam houses they build and woods they destroy for that. Its funny how its all one sided. bunch of suckas!

deathman53
11-10-2004, 07:22 PM
I got one dumb question, they say we ruin the land, then why don't we take old sand pits and make them legal riding, IN-THEORY we couldn't ruin the land anymore than the backhoes and such already did?? true, but this makes too much sense, instead they have to do coslty land surverys, just for them to say no to it anyway. Can you guys begin to count the number of abondoned sand pits in New Jersey alone? I can think of 15-20 without thinking.

11-12-2004, 06:14 PM
yea it sucks, i live down the roude in rolling hils rd. and that place was awsum. god i hate peaple who dont understand our sport

elchankoblanko
11-15-2004, 05:01 PM
hey has anybody riddin at that spot right off 287 up north that they closed down? ive never riddin there but it looked sweeet

rippin2
11-20-2004, 03:35 PM
http://www.xtremehabitat.org/donations.html
that has all the information about it

Old Head
11-21-2004, 02:50 AM
I feel the same way. there isn't many places to ride. I live right across the street from the state forest and from what I hear we aren't supposed to ride in there. Hmm wonder if they realize my taxes pay the wardens salery. Anyway the 4x4 trucks do way more damage then i ever could on my quad. So I stick to my 3 1/2 acres that I hope to build a track on, and sometimes cart my quad to my uncles blueberry farm in hammonton.:mad:

m250r
11-21-2004, 06:28 PM
i went to that place off 287...it was a really sweet place to ride they had nice trails and some good hillclimbs..too bad they closed it down

elchankoblanko
11-22-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by m250r
i went to that place off 287...it was a really sweet place to ride they had nice trails and some good hillclimbs..too bad they closed it down

yea everytime I went by there i always thought how sick it would be to ride there, espicially with it bein next to the highway and witht those huge hills