PDA

View Full Version : Diff between Works and Axis/Elka/PEP

Jake250ex
10-04-2004, 10:53 AM
What is the difference, besides $800? I myself find it hard to beleive that ANYTHING you could change on a shock would make it 4 times more valuable than any other aftermarket shock. Looking for some input.....

Tommy 17
10-04-2004, 11:49 AM
the main differnce between works and the others is this...

#1 works don't have SSD or ZPS!
#2 they have 1/2 shafts the others have 5/8 shafts...
#3 the valving in the others is much better
#4 works valving has big gaps like 120-150 etc... elka and them have like 120-135, 135-150, 150-165... its much more specific to ur exact riding style and weight...

if u ride all of them u will soon see how much of a differnce there truly is...

Juggalo
10-04-2004, 12:48 PM
also works uses cast parts and most of the other companies use billet. theres all kinds of differences between works and the better brands but i agree shocks are a rip off, but you just either have to deal with it or ride on crappy shocks. works arent a bad shock tho..i run them and im quite happy with them

allmixedup047
10-04-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
the main differnce between works and the others is this...

#1 works don't have SSD or ZPS!
#2 they have 1/2 shafts the others have 5/8 shafts...
#3 the valving in the others is much better
#4 works valving has big gaps like 120-150 etc... elka and them have like 120-135, 135-150, 150-165... its much more specific to ur exact riding style and weight...

if u ride all of them u will soon see how much of a differnce there truly is...
dont the works pro shocks have the 5/8 shafts and the same valving, but they are also like 800 bucks. works will make you any shock you want if you have the money.

cdalejef
10-04-2004, 02:48 PM
The list is too long to type. Yes, there is that much difference if you are a serious rider or racer.

Tommy 17
10-04-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by allmixedup047
dont the works pro shocks have the 5/8 shafts and the same valving, but they are also like 800 bucks. works will make you any shock you want if you have the money.

notice he said 800$ more... hes talkin about 500$ works and 1300$ elkas and stuff...

hes not talkin about pro series but yes they do have 5/8 shafts... also they are still junk

Rootar
10-04-2004, 04:47 PM
why would works pro series be junk the pros have custom valveing 5/8ths shafts and billet parts just as the others so what would make them junk??????????

Juggalo
10-04-2004, 05:54 PM
i have always heard the pro series works were really good shocks

10-04-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Juggalo
i have always heard the pro series works were really good shocks iv'e heard the same

allmixedup047
10-04-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
notice he said 800$ more... hes talkin about 500$ works and 1300$ elkas and stuff...

hes not talkin about pro series but yes they do have 5/8 shafts... also they are still junk

hmmm, dan absolutly loves his, they are a top quality shock and has had no problems with them at all. i think works is a very smart company, they have done what no other top shock company has done. they have made a cheap alternative and better than stock shock with the steeler shocks. just from my expierence with them i wouldnt say they are junk at all. but thats just my opinion

powerstroke
10-05-2004, 01:11 PM
I have ran works steelers. works pro series. and custom axis. Steelers are a good bargain and much better than a stock shock. Pro series is actually a pretty good shock. they worked fairly well for me and they are the most bang for the buck. however.......there is a big difference between works and custom axis. If all you do is play ride or race occasionally then the difference in money between axis and works would be wasted. If you race hard and push your equipment to the extremes then there is absolutely no comparison between works and the higher priced stuff. When you are really hanging it out on the track and going to the extreme the higher priced shocks can literally be the difference between crashing and riding away.

honda400ex68b
10-05-2004, 05:51 PM
i was in the same situation you are in. what shocks to get. i was in here looking for about 3 weeks, then i decided to go with a used set of elka's. i have not tried them on a mx track yet, but from what i felt so far, they are far superior then stock. i thought the samething you did about them, as far as the price goes. i thought long and hard about the saying " you get what you pay for", meaning the price of works at $360 for front steelers vs $550 to $600 for used elka's. i got the $900 one's compression adjust w/ piggyback rezzies. i still need a rear shock yet, but i am still looking. i would go with the more expensive shocks if you could afford them. they are worth it.

toby400ex
10-05-2004, 08:19 PM
Works is **** in my book, they worked alright when I was using them. But then a a spring broke and works told me all springs will break. So i bought a new spring, at full cost. The person that bought the works from me also broke another spring on them right after he bought them from me. How come my elkas dont break springs, huh huh huh?:mad:

R3Concepts
10-05-2004, 09:11 PM
Dont get too cocky yet, Ive seen Elkas break springs and blow seals within the first 5 rides.

allmixedup047
10-05-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by R3Concepts426ex
Dont get too cocky yet, Ive seen Elkas break springs and blow seals within the first 5 rides.
and i think it was tommy that said his elkas wouldnt rebound at one point. does this make them a bad shock? no!!!

R3Concepts
10-05-2004, 10:13 PM
Nor does it say that Elkas are bad shocks...but IMO there are better shocks. PEP and Axis. Also to all these people that say Works suck, bet you didnt know that Wayne Mooridian used to work for Works and that Works actually designed the 1st ZPS setup.

Rootar
10-06-2004, 07:52 AM
awhile back i did a report for school on suspension and shocks and i put that in my report i dont remeber where i read it at but yea i didnt even think bout that till now besides broken shocks are more than likely the cause of the rider they could land wrong or something really wierd no matter what shock they are EVERY shock can break wether its springs or seals they are not indestructable and works are a bigg advantage over stock even the cheap ones (ive rode a 300ex with wroks all around) so i dont think any aftermark shocks are junk some are resumed to higher level because of what they are made of we arnt saying that works are as good as axis or anything but they arent junk if anything

Tommy 17
10-06-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by allmixedup047
and i think it was tommy that said his elkas wouldnt rebound at one point. does this make them a bad shock? no!!!

get ur facts straight... problem wasn't with the elka shocks they were perfect... problem was with the a-arms;)

Tom TRX250R
10-06-2004, 07:11 PM
I personally have Works shocks and I can say from experience on my R they are a great shock for the money. I don't have the money right now to dump 1000 bucks into shocks being a college student so I went for Works shocks and they work great for me. And believe me I ride very hard. I have a track at my buddies field and jump the living **** out of my quad. The only thing I feel is after several jumps they begin to heat up and lose a little compression but still work great. I had Ohlins rebuild my back shock and put new spring and I am yet to bottom out. Just don't be an idiot and try to hit a 80 foot tabletop and land on flat ground. As long as you have a good landing it is nice and plush.