PDA

View Full Version : Steering Stabilizer

chad400ex
04-11-2002, 08:34 PM
Does anyone have a steering stabilizer installed on their 400ex? How do you like it? Which model is the best, the PEP, or the Denton. I think the Denton is 7 way adjustable. If anyone has pictures of how they look when installed, I'd like to see them.....Thanks!!!

cdalejef
04-11-2002, 08:42 PM
They are both great! It is nice to be able to adjust the Denton tho.

Zingnut
04-12-2002, 07:18 AM
I just ordered mine the other day from the Quad Shop at a great price. It is a Denton 7 way adjustable and rebuildable. I have heard from my racing friends that it is a must to get a rebuildable on in case of wrecks or severe beatings. They say they are the Sh*t when on rough fast trails. I know I am tired of so much arm pump.

Hey Jeff where do we send them to get rebuild (to Denton) or do you guys rebuild them???

04-12-2002, 08:35 AM
Here's a pic of a speedracing muscle dampner,,,pretty much the same thing as the denton 7 adj. dampner....yes they are sweet and worth the money,,especially on rough trails with the hamma down..:D

cdalejef
04-12-2002, 10:23 AM
You can send them into Denton or we will rebuild it for you.

Dave400ex
04-12-2002, 05:10 PM
Well if you are Riding/Racing Trails a Steering Stabilizer is a Must. I Rode with Adams44 and a Stabilizer would have been Nice. He and his Friends all had Stabilizers. I now know why. I think they all were Running the Denton Stabilizer. I really want one bad now.

SGA
04-12-2002, 06:47 PM
My racing friend put one on his before the last hair scramble. He was able to go (much) faster with less arm pump. He loved it. he put a pep on. I run a denton on the #5 setting

400exRacerX
04-12-2002, 08:12 PM
I have the PEP and love it havent had a problem with it yet.

04-15-2002, 10:01 AM
I have the new PEP on my 250r iand i love it. the good thing about the PEP is that it mount behind the steering stem (250r & 400EX), in case you have shock rezzies that you want to install on those front vertical bars behind the bumper.

MOOCAZEN
04-15-2002, 10:50 AM
GOOD FOR MX AND AT WHATS ETTING, ESPECIALLY A TRACK FULL OF WHOOPS

04-15-2002, 02:25 PM
Yeah Mooc there good for MX and whoops,,I run mine on setting's 1 or 2 for MX and kick it up to 3 and 4 for trail riding,,never been higher than that...if you put that thing on 7,,you could probably ride over anything with no hands and it will keep the quad straight,,,there worth the money I think..

MOOCAZEN
04-15-2002, 02:27 PM
TO GET ONE THEN, I WAS JUST DEBATING WEHTER TO GET ONE OR NOT

TRFOXX
04-15-2002, 09:07 PM
Get the Denton you'll like it!

JhallettEX
04-16-2002, 08:21 AM
Does anyone have a picture on the Denton mounted on there quad. I have rezzies on my front vertical bars and was wondering if this is wear the Denton is mounted? Also, The PEP is not adjustable at all? Thanks

SGA
04-16-2002, 08:58 AM
heres a pic

JhallettEX
04-16-2002, 09:01 AM
Thanks, that answers my question for me, Anybody got anymore info on the PEP, I guess that is what I will have to go with now. Is it adjustable and rebuildable?

SGA
04-16-2002, 09:01 AM
Heres it from the side. got the front end apart for maintenance, and a tree stump helped:blah You should have plenty of room for the rezzies, look at rico's pic. No, mine is not rebuildable, but I heard its like 100 bucks to rebuild the rebuildable type.

monkeynuts
04-16-2002, 09:44 AM
Yes, the PEP is adjustable. It has three settings, as opposed to the denton's 7, but they are sufficient. Also, it DOES mount behind the steering stem (400EX & 250R), so you can leave your rezzies attached to those front bars. I believe that is is also rebuildable.

86atc250r
04-16-2002, 10:43 AM
The bad thing about the PEP is it runs too close to the header pipes which causes the oil to overheat & reduces damping effect when you need it most - also causes the oil to "wear out" more quickly & makes it more likely to "blow out"....

If you're looking for a telescopic style damper, get one of the Shindy based dampers - the new aluminum bodied Denton, Speed Racing, Graydon, Muscle Racing, etc... They're all the same, but the sticker.

Mounting on these models is flexible enough that you should be able to make it work with your shock rezzy's with little trouble.

If you want a high end damper check into the Scotts and the WER - each has it's own advantages & disadvantages.

live2ride
04-16-2002, 10:55 AM
i have the wer , cost 350$ but works pretty well , not sure what the others are like though

PsychoDave
04-16-2002, 11:31 AM
i have a pep rebuildable. i like it and have never had any probs with heat.....i have checked it while riding and no probs with it

monkeynuts
04-16-2002, 11:57 AM
You are right abouth the stabilizer being close to the pipe, 86atc250r. At least on my 250R that is the case, I never thought about the heat issue. The dampening never seems to fade on mine though as I ride. On the 400EX, the PEP stabilizer is mounted to the left motor mount, further away from the head pipe, and I am not sure how much of an issue heat is there. Check out 400exRacerX's photo on the first page of this thread.

Dave400ex
04-16-2002, 05:57 PM
I like the Stabilizers that mount like the Denton does. I think a lot of the Pro`s run Denton because he is the Best MX Racer of all Time. I will be getting a Denton. How much is it to Rebuild One?

CBRSLIDER
04-16-2002, 09:19 PM
As Gabe said the Denton, Graydon, Muscle, etc. are very flexible as to their mounting. I have mine mounted just like sgaexer, but it can be mounted off to the side. I am going to attempt to attach pics of these alternative mounting positions. They should work with having rezzie.

Ray

CBRSLIDER
04-16-2002, 09:24 PM
Sorry about the size of the pics. I'm new at this and can't figure how to reduce their size. But here is the other picture.

Ray

Zingnut
05-09-2002, 03:01 PM
Here is mine installed. I made the cylinder placement to where it does not move up or down and the force gets distributed better through the whole steering radius. It seems to keep the play out of the stabilizer and makes the cylinder stroke as straight as possible. It also has no contact with my current rezzy placement.

http://zingnut.midwest.net/Pics/Wheeler/denton.jpg
http://zingnut.midwest.net/Pics/Wheeler/denton2.jpg

fire x 2000
05-11-2002, 02:40 PM
Denton all the way!!! I know this isint the classifieds but i have a denton that i used for 2 rides ( not hurt at all) that i will sell $75. I cant use it now with a Houser stem, I wont fit over it, and yes i tried everything.

Blackguywithouta400
05-11-2002, 02:46 PM

05-11-2002, 03:00 PM
I have been wanting one for some time.
I have a question?

I am very interested in running the cooling system that fourstroke tech has. Has anyone done this with a steering dampener.

what do you guys think...
here is a link
http://www.fourstroketech.com/fst_main.htm

any pics of this would help too...

Dave400ex
05-11-2002, 04:32 PM
Well in the New ATV Sport there is a Steering Stabilizer Shootout so I will read it and find out who Wins.

Zingnut
05-13-2002, 09:07 AM
All I can say about the Denton on my setup is that the feeling of control in the rough and fast sections is incredible. I have been able to ride my old trails in a higher gear than I was able to before the stabilizer installation and still feel comfortable. It does take some getting used to in the slick spots but nothing I could not train myself to react too. At top end conditions it makes the bike ride like a dream. I would say it is the best mod I have made to date on my quad with a very close second to my shocks. (This is from a recreation XC riders Opinion) :D

05-13-2002, 12:06 PM
Though both PEP & Denton's stabilizers work very well Denton's is much easier to adjust. The PEP seams to be a little stiffer which is good if you are riding in open woods where you might clip a tree. I have used both of those on my quad and liked them both, but now i am looking at getting either a GPR or W.E.R. stabilizers.

Ex'r Marlin
05-13-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by GNCCer
i am looking at getting either a GPR or W.E.R. stabilizers.
Do you have any information on the GPR? I have not heard of that name yet.

I like the looks of the W.E.R. stabilizer, price is steep though.

Rumor has it that Elka will try to come out with one.

nakomis0
05-13-2002, 02:23 PM
CBRSlider... Whats with the weird mount on the dampner? I see you have 2 pics with 2 different mount styles. Is there something in the front of your quad, that you can't mount it the normal way? or is it just personal prefrence?

05-13-2002, 02:28 PM
The GPR is very similar to the W.E.R. in the way it works and is also very expensive. There are several top GNCC pro's running each of them. There was a GPR booth set up at the Tenn. GNCC and they look pretty nice and very easy to hook up and adjust. I think the guys that are ridding for Mickey Dunlop are running the GPR so you might be able to contact him for more info.

CBRSLIDER
05-13-2002, 02:35 PM
Actually I run mine just like Zingnut runs his. I just found these alternate ways to mount the damper. I have piggybak elkas so I don't have to worry about how it's mounted but some with rezzies need other options. I called Graydon when I got mine and they told me to mount it like the second pic that I posted so that you could adjust it on the fly. I haven't had a chance to experiment with mine. The bad thing about how I have mine mounted is that it pinches your fingers between the shaft and my front PRM Baja Bumper. BIG OUCH!! Oh well. I love it though and would not run without it.

Ray

Dave400ex
05-13-2002, 04:30 PM
There is also a Scott`s Damper that I think is like the GPR. ATV Sport liked the GPR the Best, but they said it`s a lot of Maintenance.

Ex'r Marlin
05-14-2002, 12:37 PM
I talked to Randy at GPR, and he said the GPR unit would need to be maintenanced once a year, where as most of the others need to be maintenanced more often..... Some after each ride. The GPR unit comes with a lifetime warranty as well.

Price is in the $350 to $400 range.

I was also told to check out www.gprstabilizers.com

Like WarriorMan said, the design is much like the Scotts dampner.

Note: Sounds like if you are in the market for a steering dampner, and possibly an aftermarket steering stem, you will want to purchase the dampner to fit the stem you will be running. In other words, some dampners that fit the stock steering stem may not fit an aftermarket stem.

Dave400ex
05-14-2002, 04:21 PM
The GPR only needs Maintenanced once a Year? ATV Sport said like after every couple of Rides you had to Oil it or something. Man that Warranty would be Nice.

KISSmyACE
01-09-2010, 09:46 PM
WHAT A DUMB WAY TO MOUNT THE PEP!!

hits my oil tank no matter how we adjust it. ughhh.