PDA

View Full Version : 87 250x problem Need Help Fast !

bigjeep310
10-04-2004, 10:13 AM
Ok Im new just wanted to go ahead and say Hi.

I have an 87 250x. Just got it not too long ago. It ran fine for a couple of months then started to act up. It would just die and wouldn't start back up well if I clean the plug everytime it doesn't happen as much. But it has this new problem I cannot figure out.

Sometimes it will start up sometimes it wont. But when It does and I take it for a ride Let it warm up. then go to get on the throttle it seems like I am hitting a rev limiter and it is shutting down. But it does like the engine keeps at like half throttle for a couple seconds then slows down wanting to cut off. Even though I could have the throttle all the way open. I also have a uni air filter and cobra exhaust if this helps. Stock Carb. and just added new fuel lines to the carb they seem to look a lil bigger then the ones that were on there and an inline fuel filter.

Anyone ever have this problem maybe on a 300ex. Electrical or Air Fuel mixture.

Please help anything will help

mojoe2878
10-04-2004, 11:27 AM
check to make sure the inline filter isnt clogged, and make sure the carb is good and clean on the inside. what do your plugs look like when you pull them out to clean them? are they carboned up real bad?

bigjeep310
10-04-2004, 11:51 AM
Yup carboned real bad. As far as the carb is pretty clean inside and the inline fuel filter is brand new.

Maybe its getting too much fuel. Bad jets, bad needle?

mojoe2878
10-04-2004, 12:17 PM
do a spark test and make sure your gettin a good strong spark, make sure the filter is clean and not overly saturated with oil. if all that checks out good then do a compression test and make sure the rings are stiil good. if you havent messed with the carb settings any then it shouldnt be a jet and needle issue if its runnin rich, unless the elevation or temp has changed a lot.

bigjeep310
10-04-2004, 12:41 PM
Like with filter oil (air filter) too much. Cause I just cleaned it the other day. Well when it idles the engine sounds mechanically really well so you still think rings could be an issue

mojoe2878
10-04-2004, 12:59 PM
its possible, the only way to know for sure is to do a compression test, its easy to do and you can get a gauge for around $20 or so and its a good thing to have. from what you have said it sounds like its bogging down and not gettin enough air with the fuel. does it smell like gas?

bigjeep310
10-11-2004, 09:30 AM
Took the air filter off and it smelled like gas so bad. I cleaned the spark plug for temporary and ran with out a air filter. seemed to run decent. You think my carb needs rebuilt and new jetting or just a new filter and clean the carb up.

mojoe2878
10-11-2004, 01:25 PM
you need to pull the carb and check it real good.
check the float and float needle and make sure they are good and that the float is not sticking.
sounds like the float needle is not closing and shutting off the fuel supply or the accelerator pump is bad(if the 250x has one, dont know for sure with out lookin at the carb.)
i would tear the whole carb. apart and check and clean all the jets, needle, and if it has an accelerator pump check to make sure its workin correctly.

400ex men
10-11-2004, 10:48 PM
mine did this for ever bye you a new MODULE, IGN CONT
or CDI BOX and a COIL, IGNITIN and you will have it

bigjeep310
10-12-2004, 04:08 PM
You guys think its the cdi box, or the ignition. (kick start, no electric start)

What would be the best air filter to use. I had a uni but seems to contribute to the problem. Thinking just putting a stock one back on and seeing how that reacts.

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/oem_schematic_view.asp?schem_dept_id=188682&section_dept_id=1&section_dept_name=OEM+%28Stock+Parts%29&dept_type_id=2&model_dept_year=1987&model_dept_mfr=Honda&model_dept_id=188519&model_dept_name=TRX250X+%28Fourtrax+X%29
I dont think it has a accelerator pump there is a layout if you can tell by that

Thanks alot guys,

Aceman
10-12-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by 400ex men
mine did this for ever bye you a new MODULE, IGN CONT
or CDI BOX and a COIL, IGNITIN and you will have it

These are big money parts. You don't go buying parts like these without first testing them. Seems like your best bet is to take the carb apart and make sure nothing is plugged internally. Blow out with compressed air and carb cleaner. Set your float, make sure all your jets are tight and reassemble. Compression test your quad, if that's alright, grab a new plug, ground it to your head (not yours, the one on the quad:blah: ) and kick the quad over. If good blue spark, install the spark plug and start the quad. Also, make sure your air filter is clean and properly oiled.

new03400
10-12-2004, 07:10 PM
i also had a 87 250x (grey/red) i think they called it the "grey ghost" or something like that during its time, mine too would do the same thing, sometimes it would start and run good on the first kick for a couple times of riding sometimes you could just kick it all day and want to set it on fire, but i could pull it about 5 feet behind my buddies fourwheeler and it would start right up, that that told me that it had to deal with ignition/spark, i had cleaned the carb several time, replace fuel filter, etc...after going thru a few months of riding and it just dieing out of the blue i starting checking all the eletrical connections, coil, ground wires you name it...and mine turned out to be a loose connections between the plastic plug and the cdi box...i could kick it and kick it, then reach down and wiggle that plug and whoola! it would start right up!

i had my dad cut and soldier a new plug on mine from a junk 250x and it ran good as gold till the day i sold it!

so just check your ignition that is most likely your colperate!

hope that helps,
steve

cdi box or the box i messed with is a little black box under the left front fender tucked up under, just look and you'll see what im talking about!

bigjeep310
10-13-2004, 09:14 AM
Can you be a little more specific sorry , Which plug like coming from where and connecting to what.

Maybe you can tell me if Im thinking of the same thing look here
http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/oem_schematic_view.asp?schem_dept_id=188816&section_dept_id=1&section_dept_name=OEM+%28Stock+Parts%29&dept_type_id=2&model_dept_year=1987&model_dept_mfr=Honda&model_dept_id=188519&model_dept_name=TRX250X+%28Fourtrax+X%29#stay

Connection between which numbers.

Thanks a whole lot guys

I really feel at home here. Great help

new03400
10-13-2004, 02:38 PM
number 2 & 6

bradrenea
10-14-2004, 02:00 AM
I just worked on a 87 TRX250 for a guy that was doing the same thing. It would run fine for 10-20 minutes and then it wouldn't hardly run past half throttle. I tried everything as far as carb, filter, valves, etc.. I finally figured out that the voltage to the plug was dropping off after warm up. I borrowed another bike from a buddy and started changing electrical components one at a time until it fixed it. Turned out to be the CDI.
If you know anyone with a 250X or maybe a 300EX you might try swapping out the CDI and then coil, etc... and see if it helps.

bigjeep310
10-18-2004, 09:29 AM
Well I had my air filter off and it was running like a champ. I didn't want to run it long without a filter in , so I got my uni cleaned up and put it back in then the quad started acting up again. So I have air/ fuel ratio problem (carb) not enough air or less fuel. which? what kind of air filter might help with the air flow problem what about open lid of drilled lid.

mr250quad
10-18-2004, 05:36 PM
I had the exact same problem and it was the CDI box. Everyone said it was the carb so I would clean it out and the prblem would still be there. After 6 months of this I cut open the CDI box and peeled the silicone back and foud 3 solder joints missing solder. I then resoldered them and then filled plastic cover with silicone and mounted box back on the frame. It has been 13 month's with no problems.

bigjeep310
10-19-2004, 11:02 AM
Thanks so much. Im gonna check all connections first then Ill crack the cdi open and make sure nothing is loose in there

(P.S. I love soldering lol !)