PDA

View Full Version : heli coil problem

lilpoppy
10-03-2004, 10:17 PM
I recently heli coiled a couple of the small valve cover bolt holes because the studs pulled causing those to strip out as well but know when I take them out it completely strips the threads off of the bolts. Did we do something wrong with the heli coil? Any ideas on how to fix this?

mojoe2878
10-04-2004, 11:36 AM
did you install a heli coil that matches the thread size of the bolts? if you cant start the bolt by hand and tighten it up most of the way by hand then the threads on the heli coil are not the same as the bolt.

Aceman
10-04-2004, 05:10 PM
Yep, what he said. You must have a different thread pitch. Take a valve cover bolt into a auto parts store and have them use a thread pitch gauge on it to verify the pitch.

R3Concepts
10-04-2004, 07:52 PM
You should have used a 6mm x 1.0 thread heli coil. If you did that then your problem is that they are not in straight. You could have been off when you put them in. Use a drill press for those kinds of things. To fix it or not is up to you, it will be a pain to get that heli coil out and then putting a new one in that is relatively close is the next problem.

quad_62
10-04-2004, 09:32 PM
make sure you broke the tab completely off of the helicoil. my buddy didnt break it off and it did what you're describing