PDA

View Full Version : cam won't line up

lilpoppy
10-03-2004, 10:15 PM
I have a stage 2 hotcam and when I try to install it with the lobes down it will not line up the 2 marks with the head. If I flip the lobes up it lines up perfectly. Whats the deal? The lobes have to be down correct?

mojoe2878
10-04-2004, 11:41 AM
their supposed to be down. is the center index mark on the cam sproket by the sprocket bolt facing up when the lobes are down?

TRXRacer1
10-04-2004, 11:59 AM
Turn your crank another 360 degress and try again.

cals400ex
10-04-2004, 05:02 PM
make sure your sprocket is in the correct position. the lobes should be down while the 2 lines align with the head and the 3rd line points up.

F-16Guy
10-04-2004, 05:56 PM
Double-check to make sure that you're using the "T" mark on the flywheel. I'm pretty sure your problem is because you're running no base gasket and one layer of the head gasket. That moves the head (cam gear) closer to the crank gear. As the cam tensioner takes up the slack, it causes the cam to be retarded in relation to the crank. The only way to compensate would be to use an adjustable cam gear, but as far as I know, it would have to be custom made. I think I heard somewhere that XRs Only had them, but that was a long time ago, and if they did, I don't know if they still do. It won't cause any real problem, it will just affect the power curve a little; you probably won't notice it.

lilpoppy
10-04-2004, 06:50 PM
I think F-16guy is correct. So in that case would I want the lines a little high on the right or left side of the head? Basically it is a little off so it is right in the middle of two teeth. Which way do I go?

F-16Guy
10-04-2004, 06:56 PM
Since it should be retarded a little due to the lower head height, the rear mark should be down slightly.

gojk
10-04-2004, 08:33 PM
I am running no base gasket and it lines up. Just rotate the motor over a couple times and try it again. Also a worn cam chain could cause it to be slightly retarded.