PDA

View Full Version : Pivot Works , No good

Ex_Rider43
10-03-2004, 09:05 PM
Let me explain, after 6 months, a complete mx season and many practices, my stock swingarm bearings are shot. so I decided to went with Pivot Works complete needle bearing kit. it looked pretty clean, its complete and its alot cheaper than stock.

well instalation went down pretty easy but putting the swingarm back on there was a pain in the ***...no major thing for now though. everything was packed full of grease just like every bearing change in the past also. at this time there was no loose at all. everything was really tight.good.

after 30 minutes of riding, I found out that the rear end is loose. oh , the pivot bolt is maybe loose?.. no, still tight.

imagine this, you pay 75$ +tax (canadian) for a set of bearings that takes 2 hours to install, and 30 minutes later your found out that theyre just a piece of junk.

I guess (and hope) that its a defect because Im just SO PISSED OFF at this.

Any help would b apreciated. Comments on them also??

thanks

:mad:

10-03-2004, 10:41 PM
you prob. installed it wrong....pivot works are one of the best companies out there :(

cdalejef
10-04-2004, 07:19 AM
I agree, I've been using Pivot Works since they hit the market and they last just as long as stock bearings. You must use bearing press tool when installing needle bearings! Just using a hammer and a socket will damage the race on needle bearings making them wear very quick. I suspect this is your problem.

Juggalo
10-04-2004, 12:42 PM
i just installed pivot works bearing kit like you did on my 400ex about 2 months ago now and its been holding up just fine.

Ex_Rider43
10-04-2004, 05:37 PM
yeah I know its a reputated company but I have installed them corectly. like I said they fit very good.

jeff do you think I need to change the pivot bolt??? I dont know maybe shes done? any sugestions?

oh and is there a bushing or something inside the motor where the bolt is going thru ??

Juggalo
10-04-2004, 05:51 PM
i supose you could try a new pivot bolt...im runnint a billet stainless bolt from woodward industries...its niiiiice

Ex_Rider43
10-04-2004, 08:17 PM
ok I allso saw the balwin bolt. full chromoly..

how much for the woodward and do they have a website?

Juggalo
10-04-2004, 09:46 PM
i believe the price was 70 dollars for the bolt. i cant remember but i know it was right around there. http://www.woodwardspecialties.com/

Chino
10-04-2004, 10:29 PM
Jeff @ the quadshop makes a nice feature on the pivot bolts he sells. I ordered one off of him for my 400 and he installed a grease zerk in the end of it to keep the bearings in it lubed up a lil better. Grant you you still should take the bolt out and clean it up real good and grease it every few races but the grease zerk will also help "Prevent" the bolt from getting stuck inside the swinger ~

cdalejef
10-05-2004, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by ex_rider52
yeah I know its a reputated company but I have installed them corectly. like I said they fit very good.

jeff do you think I need to change the pivot bolt??? I dont know maybe shes done? any sugestions?

oh and is there a bushing or something inside the motor where the bolt is going thru ?? Did the bolt feel rough or look pitted at all? If so, that can also cause them to go bad quickly. Yes, there is a bushing pressed into the motor but that doesn't have anything todo with your bearings.

Rootar
10-05-2004, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Chino
Jeff @ the quadshop makes a nice feature on the pivot bolts he sells. I ordered one off of him for my 400 and he installed a grease zerk in the end of it to keep the bearings in it lubed up a lil better. Grant you you still should take the bolt out and clean it up real good and grease it every few races but the grease zerk will also help "Prevent" the bolt from getting stuck inside the swinger ~

how much would one of these cost im gonna take my bolt out sometime this winter and replace it with the best i can find because last time it took 3 good mechanics 8 HOURS to get it out and that was expensive so i dont wanna ever do this agian
also would taking to bolt out maybe 2twice a year and checkin the bearings and stuff help keep it from getting stuck

10-05-2004, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Rootar
how much would one of these cost im gonna take my bolt out sometime this winter and replace it with the best i can find because last time it took 3 good mechanics 8 HOURS to get it out and that was expensive so i dont wanna ever do this agian
also would taking to bolt out maybe 2twice a year and checkin the bearings and stuff help keep it from getting stuck 2 times would be the least I would do...I do mine every month...its very easy

Pappy
10-05-2004, 07:49 AM
i dont buy into the stainless bolt theory. dis-similiar metals (stainless bolt and alloy bushing) tend to corrode faster then similiar metals. the only way to prevent this is to use the bolt modifactation as described, and to assemble the bolt with anti-seize compound. and even by doing this , periodic removal and re-lube is required.

cdalejef
10-05-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Rootar
also would taking to bolt out maybe 2twice a year and checkin the bearings and stuff help keep it from getting stuck Give me a call about the bolt pricing.

Ex_Rider43
10-08-2004, 07:48 AM
hey guys I found the problem , its my pivot bolt!!! I tried another and there was no loose with this bolt.

so im going to buy a stock bolt and I will modify it at school.

sorry about saying that pivot works was not good ! I did not knew that a bolt could get worn out.

markk
10-08-2004, 12:06 PM
This isn't saying anything bad about Pivot Works, But im just Curious how this could happen?
About 2 months ago i put a new Herrmann swingarm in my 400ex, When i pulled the swingr bolt out, and yanked out the swingarm, The spacer sleave (thingy) the longer one just shatterd into 7 diffrent peices,
I installed those bearing, and sleaves at the end of last DEC. And since then the hardest things i have hit with the rear end, is a toumble down a pretty good sized hill, and I hit a tree pretty hard at Lorreta Lynns, WIth my right rear tire!

If anyone knows y it could have shatterd just get back to me, Anyways pivot works has done great for me with everything else!