PDA

View Full Version : ATV Rider Magazine 12 Hour Torture Test

Admin
10-03-2004, 08:22 PM
ATV Rider Magizine Editors, Billy Bartels & John Howell, organized the 12 hour event to torture stock machines from the major manufacturers. Yamaha, Honda, and Polaris all provided machines and mechanics for the event. Suzuki submitted a machine, but didn't provide a mechanic to keep the machine running through out the event because of other responsibilities.

The Stock Race Machine were all put through 12 hours of riding by some of the best ATV riders. The testing started at 10AM Saturday Morning and went to 11PM at night with a one hour break half way through for the mechanics to check over the machines and perform general maintenance.

The Test was conducted at Rausch Creek MX Park, and virtually the same course as the 6 Hours of ATV America was used at the test loop, which was approx. 5 miles long and included a MX track and several miles of woods which was consisted of high speed straight aways with some tight rocky sections thrown in along with some hill climbs.

Admin
10-03-2004, 08:25 PM
GNC 4 Stroke A Champion, Jeff Thompson, showed up early and took the oppurtunity to take some laps on the Utility machines used in Friday's testing.

Jeff took some time to check out all the controls on the machine.

Admin
10-03-2004, 08:26 PM
In no time, Jeff took off on the Utility.

Admin
10-03-2004, 08:28 PM
John Howell goes over the riding order with Tom & Rob Hertz, Chris Borich, and Tyler Lenig.

Admin
10-03-2004, 08:29 PM
Chris Borich smile was quickly wiped off his face when he was informed that he wouldn't be heading out in the first group and he would have to ride the YFZ :eek: lol

Admin
10-03-2004, 08:33 PM
Meanwhile, Jason Dunkelberger & Dustin Wimmer prepared to head out for 4 laps on the machines.

Admin
10-03-2004, 08:35 PM
Dustin Wimmer hops on the Suzuki LTZ and quickly checks out the machine, which might be a machine we see him riding next year:confused:

Admin
10-03-2004, 08:39 PM
GNC Pro Am Production & 265 Champion, Pat Brown, heads out on the Honda 450R.

Admin
10-03-2004, 08:40 PM
Pro GNC Rider, Jason Dunkelberger, put in some laps on the YFZ.

Admin
10-03-2004, 08:42 PM
Pat Brown on the Honda 450R chases after Dunk.

Admin
10-03-2004, 08:43 PM
After one lap, Pat Brown returned to the pits on the 450R with a flat rear tire.

Admin
10-03-2004, 08:44 PM
Dustin Wimmer continued to fly around the course on the LTZ 400.

Admin
10-03-2004, 08:47 PM
Pro GNCC Rider, Andy Lagzdins, gives Pat Brown some instructions on changing tires which is something Andy has had plenty of practice at doing before he purchased Tire Balls for his Race Machine. Unfortnately, stock machines don't come with tire balls are very thick ply tires, so flats became a common occurence through out of the day.

Admin
10-03-2004, 08:52 PM
The Predator was the next machine to come in for a tire change and eventually each manufacturer ran out of spare tires, so they had to start plugging the puncutured tires.

Admin
10-03-2004, 08:57 PM
After Several hours of riding, the machine were brought in for maintenance and a look over for any major repairs. I won't disclose all the details, so you will have something to look forward to reading when the Article in published:cool:

The YFZ suffered a bent rotor after its plastic skidplate failed to protect it from the rocks.

Admin
10-03-2004, 09:02 PM
The Polaris Predator took some abuse when it was rode into a tree which cracked the front frame at the bumper mounts, but I personally it held up pretty good considering the circumstance and wouldn't judge the frame for cracking because I believe they all would have suffered similar damage. Unfortunately, the rider was taken the the hospital after another wreck on the predator and cracked strenum:( The worst part was that it was his Birthday:(

Admin
10-03-2004, 09:03 PM
During the break, many of the riders including Tom Hertz took time to grab a bite to eat.

Admin
10-03-2004, 09:04 PM
John Howell went over and Welcomed a few more riders for the event, which were Tim Farr & Shane Hitt:eek2:

Admin
10-03-2004, 09:09 PM
After not having a chance to ride in over 2 months, I headed on on Andy's Duncan 450R for few laps during the break to get warmed up. It was great to get the chance to ride again and especially on a fully modified race machine:D

Admin
10-03-2004, 09:14 PM
Tyler Lenig chased after Matt Smiley and Chris Borich on Utility machines during the break, which was an awesome site to watch. I got the oppurtunity to follow Chris Borich for one lap around the course, and I have never seen a utility machine go so fast in my entire life, and I am not joking one bit. I wasn't able to slack off one bit to keep up with Chris on a Utility Machine. He had the machine railing around turns like it was a 250R. It was truly a site to behold, and hopefully someone got a photo of him and Matt Smiley on the machines. Matt's Utility ride ended early after his Utility left him sitting from the high speed riding.

Admin
10-03-2004, 09:15 PM
John Natalie jr. showed up shortly after Tim Farr and they were ready to head out and punish the stock machines.

Admin
10-03-2004, 09:15 PM
Andy Lagzdins took some time to talk with the Honda Mechanic about the 450R.

Admin
10-03-2004, 09:19 PM
Sean Neidlinger also arrived for the test rider, but obviously wasn't able to rider because of his cast:(. He still decided to show up and spend time with the rest of the riders along with his father Bill, who helped me out with the some photos:devil:

Chris Borich, Sean Neidlinger, and Jamie Bougher

Admin
10-03-2004, 09:24 PM
With almost all the riders in attendance, They posed for test ride photo, which included some of the best ATV riders.

Back Row: John Natalie Jr, Dustin Wimmer, Tim Farr, Pat Brown, Rob Hertz, Andy lagzdns, Harlen Foley, Tyler Lening

Middle Row: Jeff Thompson, John Howell, Shane Hitt, Jason Dunkelberger, Matt Smiley, Chris Borich, Traci Cecco

Front Row:
Billy Bartels & Tom Hertz

Admin
10-03-2004, 09:26 PM
Matt Smiley prepared to go out for his last 4 lap session of the torture test.

Admin
10-03-2004, 09:27 PM
Chris Borich mounted the YFZ as Pat Brown pointed out to Tim Farr the bent up rear rotor, which left the machine with no rear brakes :(

Admin
10-03-2004, 09:28 PM
Chris Borich, Jason Dunkelberger, and Matt Smiley headed out for some laps.

Admin
10-03-2004, 09:30 PM
Traci Cecco was finding out the 450R doesn't always start on the first kick which is especially true when they are new. John Natalie jr. took advantage of her light weight and lifted the rear tires off the ground while she worked on starting the 450R.

Admin
10-03-2004, 09:32 PM
Once it fired, Traci nailed the gas, but it didn't go anywhere:confused: She quickly turned around and find out what the problem was:D

Admin
10-03-2004, 09:34 PM
Jason Dunkelberger chasing after Matt Smiley on Suzuki. Chris Borich had to head into the pits to have the YFZ checked out after the 1st lap, which was something he got use to during the season until switching to the 450R.

Admin
10-03-2004, 09:36 PM
Rob Hertz also got a chance to ride the LTZ afte Matt Smiley was finished.

Admin
10-03-2004, 09:37 PM
Andy Lagzdins jumped on the Predator and took it out for a spin around the track for one lap and then switched to another machine.

Admin
10-03-2004, 09:40 PM
I followed Andy around the the track on the YFZ. We took turns leading each other durring the lap. After the lap, I switched to the Predator. I was really impressed with the new gearing ratio, soft ride, and great power. I didn't like the machines extra weight which was most obvious to me in the corners, but it was still a lot of fun to ride.

Admin
10-03-2004, 09:41 PM
As day turned to night, the riders began running the helmet lights to improve the visibility during the night riding.

Admin
10-03-2004, 09:44 PM
The Suzuki tires wouldn't hold air because of a leaking bead around the rim. The suzuki was provided a mechanic or any spare parts that I was aware?? They were forced to use a hammer to try to get the tire to seal and hold air.

Admin
10-03-2004, 09:47 PM
The night time riding got real ugly when the skies opened up big time with some heavy rain and lighting in the distance, which only added to difficultly of riding in the night. The skies threatened rain all day, but luckily most of the day it remained dry with only a few showers.

This was truely an incredible event, and I look forward to reading the full story about the ride in ATV Rider Magazine.

Pappy
10-04-2004, 06:52 AM
thanks for the coverage harlen. i would have loved to have made it but atleast i got a peek at the action!

Rico
10-06-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by EXriders Admin
Chris Borich had to head into the pits to have the YFZ checked out after the 1st lap, which was something he got use to during the season until switching to the 450R.

:devil: :devil: :devil:

Good pics and write-up harlen....:cool:

redrunner
10-06-2004, 08:57 AM
Looks like everyone did their best to beat up on them thar machines. Nice work Harlen.;)

250x#93
10-06-2004, 09:57 AM
Man would that be fun hahaha looks like , it was a good time

Power Stroker
10-06-2004, 10:03 AM
Chris Borich had to head into the pits to have the YFZ checked out after the 1st lap, which was something he got use to during the season until switching to the 450R.

NUFF SAID

outacontrol31
10-06-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by 250x#93
Man would that be fun hahaha looks like , it was a good time

ya especially seeing as how they get to beat the he!! outa the moachines that they don't even have to pay for:devil:

Ericthered rdr
10-06-2004, 12:48 PM
Awsome coverage Harlen!
That is quite an allstar group of riders. Can't wait to real the full story! I just want to know why I wasn't invited:confused: I guess they had enough guys to help pick up the trash when you all were done:huh

rollie
10-06-2004, 01:43 PM
looks like the Z did good except for the bead....i think i might pick up one of those in a little bit:eek: are the frames still weak as they where or are they better?

later and great covrage!

allmixedup047
10-06-2004, 09:38 PM
was that Timmy on a YFZ?:eek: . it lookes like everyone got there chance to beat the hell out of all the machines. and i cant believe suzuki didnt supply parts or a mechanic!:huh

440exnacsracer
10-06-2004, 09:42 PM
man ive hit my share of trees and my preds frame hasnt cracked in the front. must of really hit it hard:eek2: :eek2:

yoshz400rider
10-06-2004, 11:11 PM
dont forget suzukis mechanic were prob working with doug gust

RUTHLESS
10-07-2004, 01:12 AM
HARLEN YOU HAVE BEEN AND ARE A VERY ADMIRABLE PERSON.
MOST PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW MUCH TIME AND DETERMINATION IT TAKES TO DO WHAT YOU DO AND THEN GO RACE AND RUN THE BIGGEST ATV SITE PROBABLY IN THE WORLD. NOT TO MENTION THE AMOUNT OF YOUR OWN MONEY YOU APPLY TO THIS SPORT. KEEP UP THE GOOD TIMES AND IF YOU EVER NEED ANY HELP KEEP IN MIND YOU HAVE ME TO CALL ON AND I'M SURE COUNTLESS OTHER EXRIDERS. TO COUNTER POINT yoshz400rider DOUG GUST IS NOT HUMAN, HIS REAL NAME IS JOHN CONNOR AND HE WAS SENT BACK IN TIME TO DESTROY THE COMPETITION...

O'DOYLE RULES

allmixedup047
10-07-2004, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by RUTHLESS
HARLEN YOU HAVE BEEN AND ARE A VERY ADMIRABLE PERSON.
MOST PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW MUCH TIME AND DETERMINATION IT TAKES TO DO WHAT YOU DO AND THEN GO RACE AND RUN THE BIGGEST ATV SITE PROBABLY IN THE WORLD. NOT TO MENTION THE AMOUNT OF YOUR OWN MONEY YOU APPLY TO THIS SPORT. KEEP UP THE GOOD TIMES AND IF YOU EVER NEED ANY HELP KEEP IN MIND YOU HAVE ME TO CALL ON AND I'M SURE COUNTLESS OTHER EXRIDERS. TO COUNTER POINT yoshz400rider DOUG GUST IS NOT HUMAN, HIS REAL NAME IS JOHN CONNOR AND HE WAS SENT BACK IN TIME TO DESTROY THE COMPETITION...

O'DOYLE RULES
there is a key on the left hand side of your key board labeled "caps lock", hit that button once, or stop holding down shift when you type.:blah:

RUTHLESS
10-07-2004, 01:22 AM
allmixedup047=FLAMER?

allmixedup047
10-07-2004, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by RUTHLESS
allmixedup047=FLAMER? :huh

CatMostFeared
10-07-2004, 04:48 AM
Cool I wanna do that next year.

spincr4hire
10-07-2004, 10:20 AM
thats cool they brought all those different riders together.
ATV Rider is the best mag out right now, IMO.

Dice Wiley
10-09-2004, 08:03 PM
Traci Cecco was finding out the 450R doesn't always start on the first kick which is especially true when they are new. John Natalie jr. took advantage of her light weight and lifted the rear tires off the ground while she worked on starting the 450R. if i were Traci and turned around to see THAT look on Natalies face.........i'd start swingin and run :eek2:

tymaster
10-15-2004, 08:23 AM
ATV Rider Magizine Editors, Billy Bartels & John Howell, organized the 12 hour event to torture stock machines from the major manufacturers. Yamaha, Honda, and Polaris all provided machines and mechanics for the event. Suzuki submitted a machine, but didn't provide a mechanic to keep the machine running through out the event because of other responsibilities.

The Stock Race Machine were all put through 12 hours of riding by some of the best ATV riders. The testing started at 10AM Saturday Morning and went to 11PM at night with a one hour break half way through for the mechanics to check over the machines and perform general maintenance.

The Test was conducted at Rausch Creek MX Park, and virtually the same course as the 6 Hours of ATV America was used at the test loop, which was approx. 5 miles long and included a MX track and several miles of woods which was consisted of high speed straight aways with some tight rocky sections thrown in along with some hill climbs. gThat is so sweat:) :)