PDA

View Full Version : help my new laptop

400EXcrazy
10-03-2004, 06:36 PM
ok i got new laptop yesturday and i cant get it to get online. i have the cable modem pluged in and everything but it will not get online it says it is connected but a page will not show up. it willl work on this computer but not on my laptop. what can i do

I-7
10-03-2004, 06:41 PM
Make sure you have a LAN setup..

Do you have a router?

400EXcrazy
10-03-2004, 06:47 PM
i got a wireless router too but i cant get that **** to work ether how do i get a lan

I-7
10-03-2004, 06:52 PM
Im not that computer literate but heres my guess. Go to control panel... network connections.... and create a new connection.

If you need to set up a wireless router you use the ethernet cable from the modem and plug that into the internet label slot on the router. Make sure you have wireless cards installed on your computer (linksys is a good company) and then you just have to install the software that comes with the router/wireless cards. Im sorry if I sound confusing but you need wireless cards installed in all the computers you want a wireless connection on. Also.... try going to network help website instead of a quad website. Even though Im sure plenty of guys on the site are in that field and can help you out here.

400EXcrazy
10-03-2004, 07:01 PM
i turned my wireless router on and it says on the task bar it says connected to linksys signal strenth excellent but i still cant get online

Ralph
10-03-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by 400EXcrazy
i turned my wireless router on and it says on the task bar it says connected to linksys signal strenth excellent but i still cant get online

you may have to go into internet explorer and type in an ip adress such as ???.???.??.?. whatever.

it should all be in the instructions for the router and there could also be a cd that does it all for u included.

10-03-2004, 10:52 PM
turn firewalls off

BOONE450R
10-03-2004, 10:56 PM
all i can say is NETGEAR

Pungohboy
10-04-2004, 06:28 AM
power off your modem, router (pull the plugs) and computer Wait 30 seconds power modem on wait until fully connected then power the router on then after router fully connected power the computer on. Now if you have the network cable plugged in to the laptop from the router it should connect. If right click my network places and go to properties then right click local connection and properties make sure it is set to automatic. If after that still nothing from Ie check the internet options lan settings for auto detect. The IP you should try for linksys is 192.168.1.1 leave the user name blank and the default password should be admin (i think) if you can go there then you can check your router settings to see what is happening with the lan and the wireless. It should be set to enable DHCP if you want it to give your machine its ip info. Well thats all i have time to type now let us know how it goes. Also more info like what operating system and what model router.