PDA

View Full Version : Herrman or Houser Setup??

Foxrage
04-11-2002, 07:47 PM
I was wondering what i should get. Im lookin at some long travel A-arms for my 400ex. I can get Houser setup( a-arms, swingarm, and stem) for around 1650. I can get the same thing from herrman for 1350. The herman dont look as strong but i think they are worth a try. I could get an pigniry oil tank for the price difference or some other things. Just want to here anyones opinion thanks.

400exRacerX
04-11-2002, 08:09 PM
I would go houser, there welds on there a arms aren't as big as I exspected since everyone was raving about them. But that can be fixed next year when I do some chroming and powdercoating on my bike. I'll get the welder to beef the welds up. You shoudl see if that guy Macozen or whatever his screen name is on the board still has those houser long travel arms with axis dual rate compadj shocks for sale. I bet you'd get a dela on them. Or you could just go standard travel like my setup for way cheaper.

racerx573
04-11-2002, 08:11 PM
Well the Herrmann's must hold up well. John Natalie was at a race Sunday and he was in my class ( I ride an R). He was flying higher than most of the bikes on his Herrmann chassis. What kind of shocks are you going to run? I have the Houser stem w/ Tag T2's and I love it. I like the double plate design over the cross-tube design that most stem makers use. Just my thoughts. But I think Herrmann is definitely going to be a force on ATV racing in the future. Houser's makin its way to the top though!!

RoostinOna400ex
04-11-2002, 08:17 PM
I would defenitly go with Herrmann!! I have a pair of herrmann a-arms and the welds look really great!! You can see them I posted some pics of my a-arms ill bump it up again it is called "here are the pics of my elkas" or something like that!! I think herrmann is the best for the price and they are really strong!! Check them out at www.herrmannracing.com:cool:

400exRacerX
04-11-2002, 08:19 PM
I rode with John Natalie once and for how good is he and being pro his quad is really ratty looking and looks like a pos R. LOL its liek the old saying, "Looks may deceive".

04-11-2002, 08:39 PM
WHILE IT MAKES YOU LOOK BETTER WHEN YOU WHOOP AN *** ON A ****TY QUAD

exriderdude
04-12-2002, 09:10 AM
yup:D :cool: :macho

Juggalo
04-12-2002, 12:05 PM
yes that is the best! thank you crappy lookin quadracer for waxin the floor with all those shiny new 400ex's, i miss ya buddy.

Foxrage
04-12-2002, 12:50 PM
I can get Houser setup, Elka shocks, and brake lines for 2870 or so that comes with the powdercoating and chroming. If i go with The herrman setup, elka shocks, and brake lines it will be 1700 not powdercoated or chromed. So i think i will spend the extrs little bit on houser so i dont have to wait to send them off and get them chromed and powder coated. What do you guys thing. Thanks

racerx573
04-12-2002, 03:15 PM
If youre gonna spend more than $2500 on a front end, you might as well get LOBO. $2499 from K&K I think. You will have to wait a little longer, but It's the best front end out there right now.

Clay
04-12-2002, 03:29 PM
I couldn't agree more. If you are gonna spend that kinda cash, spring for the LOBO. Im not taking away from either of the other front ends, because im thinking of Herrman myself. But i would go ahead and get the LOBO II.

RoostinOna400ex
04-12-2002, 03:42 PM
Well lets see herrmann charges $50 to get ALL FOUR of your aarms powdercoated so probably 30 for just your bottom powdercoated and you can look around you can get both your top aarms cromed for around 100 if not cheaper that should be with shipping. If you cant send them here I can get them for that price and It doesnt take that long to get them cromed!! Well lets see Really strong good quality aarms with powder coating and cromed with really good shocks and break lines for around $1850 or you can get a big named company to get you some aarms for $2500
you take your pics.:rolleyes: :huh

04-12-2002, 04:33 PM
I heard that Gibson long travel is good for a 400ex also.
[

*]AC bumper
Moose shock cover & handguards
ProTaper AC3 bars
Quadboss nerfs
K&N air filter
Yoshimura pipe
DG grab bar

Dave400ex
04-12-2002, 04:57 PM
You are talking about a lot of Money for just a Front End. Myself I think you should just go with some Standard Travel A-Arms. You need to make sure you even like Racing before you go Buying a Houser or Lobo Front End. For Local Tracks where you live you will not need Long Travel. The Standard Arms should be Fine. Even a lot of the National Guys don`t Run Long Travel. It is becoming more Popular though. I think most of them Run the Walsh, Lobo, or T-Pin though. You don`t need that Stuff. It will be a while before you are Flying that high at a National Race. Plus you should have Sponsors that will Buy you stuff or get it really Cheap for You. I would go with Standard Travel A-Arms and some Elka or PEP Shocks. Does anybody else Agree with me on this?

Foxrage
04-12-2002, 06:29 PM
Ya but im getting all my chasis things for that price. I would still have to get swong arm steering stem and rear shock. That is if i got the lobo. I think i will just get houser even though the herman look like the lobo.

Dave400ex
04-13-2002, 11:01 AM
Yeah I think the Lobo is to Much for You. I would go with Houser or just get some Laeger A-Arms. I think a Good Setup would be Laeger A-Arms, Laeger Steering Stem, Laeger Swingarm, Laeger SubFrame, (If they still make it) PEP ZPS or Elka Front Shocks, and a PEP ZPS or Elka Rear Rebuild. Now that would be Awesome.

NJ300ex
04-13-2002, 11:34 AM
Nacs, do you even need new shocks and stuff yet. Don't you weigh 100 pounds. I don't see you bottoming the stock shocks only wieghing 100 pounds

Dave400ex
04-13-2002, 11:46 AM
Well NJ300EX you do have a Point. I still think Shocks would be a Good Purchase. I know for me (I Weight 197) I really need some Shocks. I think NACS would be more then Happy with the Elka`s. Now that I think about it, why would a 110 Kid need Long Travel. I`m thinking Laeger or Houser A-Arms would Work Good.

NJ300ex
04-13-2002, 11:57 AM
i know how you guys feel though. You want to buy the best so that you don't have to buy it again, and i feel the same way, but being that you guys and me are both young, chances are we won't have these bikes for alot longer. I would bet that all of us would have something besides a 400ex in 3 years. You just don't need long travel and the only way you ever get your money back when you sell a bike with long travel is if you sell it seperate from the bike and it is in good condition. Just get regular plus 2 a arms and be done with it. Buying long travel is a waist unless you are an A class rider or pro. Sure it is nice to have but is not needed.

mrusk
04-13-2002, 03:13 PM
Guys Nac's wasn't talking about spending 2800 on just a front end. That was the aarms, swingarm, stem, shocks, and brake lines.

Also you guys are forgetting that shocks are for more than just jumping. No matter how much you weigh shocks make an amazing improvement for you. Shocks makes the quad sit lower, which makes the bike turn better and go over bumps and such faster.

Nacs- Go with the herrmann long travel aarms.

matt

RoostinOna400ex
04-13-2002, 03:37 PM
Yea go with herrmann trust me you will like the quality of his a-arms I have them and I love them!!:cool:

Dave400ex
04-13-2002, 04:41 PM
I knew NACS was getting more then just a Front End, but $2800 is a lot of Money for everything. I would just get some Standard A-Arms. Who knows, in a Couple Years we might all want a Honda 440EX. (I Hope) Just get what you need Now.

Foxrage
04-14-2002, 02:38 PM
The shocks arnt for jumbin its for everything i have bottomed them out though. Big time but i want a softer ride and everything else. If there wasnt a wait on laeger i would bet that setup. but i want the quad rate. but i think im going to go with herman.

Dave400ex
04-14-2002, 03:04 PM
I don`t think there is a Wait on Laeger. Baldwin has 400ex A-Arms and Swingarms in Stock not to Long ago. I still really don`t see the need for Long Travel.

Foxrage
04-14-2002, 03:18 PM
I wish i could find some pics of the hermann long travel front end. Does anyone know where there are pics on a 400. I just want long travelfor extra security.

Dave400ex
04-14-2002, 03:20 PM
Well if you want to Spend the Extra Money go ahead. I would ask Mity Mo if he has any Pictures.

Foxrage
04-14-2002, 03:37 PM
The hermans arent that much more it still ends up being like the same ar if i was going with regular houser setup.

04-14-2002, 04:31 PM
!!!HOUSER/ELKA SETUP!!! Just received 19" elka QUADRUPLE RATE zero preload compresion adjustable shocks with rezzies, houser +3 +1 long travel arms. as far as the arms go, they look very strong, clean welds. the elka shocks are VERY impressive, unfortunately, i just received it so i cannot tell you how it handles, but ask me soon.

as far as PRICE goes...

-houser long travel arms, red lowers, chrome tops,
-19" elka quadruple rate compression adjustable shocks
-extended steel braided brake lines
-apx $1,650.00 less freight

Foxrage
04-14-2002, 07:32 PM
I like the houser i just think the hermans are sweet lookin. Everyone will ask is that the lobo. LOL But If herman starts chroming i will definatly go with them but i still think i will go with herman.

RoostinOna400ex
04-14-2002, 08:17 PM
I would definatly go with herrmann. and ill put in a few words that he should do croming!!

Dave400ex
04-14-2002, 08:56 PM
Does anybody have any Pictures of the Herrman Long Travel A-Arms?

400MXer
04-14-2002, 11:59 PM
Go with laeger a arms and PEP ZPS shocks...HUGE improvement....i love them soo much...everything is extremely smooth...i had my first race today...i just barely got my quad running...but i didn't have any time to dial in my shocks....they were a little stiff for the race...especially the rear shock...i need to soften that one up a little. but all in all, they are great...i love them. and the RTC lever is working excelent.

Foxrage
04-15-2002, 04:11 AM
Sounds like you have been workin hard at gettin that motor in. So you can race. What do you have on the rear shock. It just depends if PEP and elka have the same turn around time i might go with PEP.

redrizza
04-15-2002, 07:12 AM
Here are my Herrman's. I'm very happy with them. They are super durrable, nice clean welds, and huge ball joints. And they'll powdercoat them any color you want.

04-15-2002, 09:31 AM
I will post some photos of my houser/elka long travel setup very soon, for those of you that wrote that you wanted to see them.

Also just to note, the photo of the red herrman arms are standard travel arms, not the long travel. just in case anybody was going to place an order, and got shocked when their long travels showed up, because they look a lot different. those herrman arms do look good though.

400MXer
04-15-2002, 12:48 PM
yeah....i worked my ***** off last week to get my motor in...and i had to put the stock cam in it for the race because my race cam from fischer still isn't here. but even with a stock cam it had a huge power gain.

Mity Mo
04-15-2002, 02:28 PM
The Herrmanns are a great setup. I have the +3 long travel 19" shocks and the +1 swingarm. I weigh in at around 260lbs and stand around 6'3". If they can take my abuse you LITTLE people should have no problems. The long travel shocks are for jumping and cruising at high speeds. If you think they are just for jumping you are WAY OFF. Unless you race the tracks with no whoops, ruts or hard pack surfaces. They are used by every Pro,Pro-Am and A rider that is racing the circuit. Anyone not using them is kidding themselves when they say they dont need them. Anybody needs them they are an advantage over any racer without them. Plus with the king pin setup,not balljoint, you have no bumpsteer. You dont need special rims with them. I run 2+3 rims and I am legal in all National Level races. here is a pic of my setup. Mo;)

Dave400ex
04-16-2002, 06:01 PM
400MXer, Do you have any Pictures of the Shocks and A-Arms yet?

NACS, 400mxer got the Rear PEP ZPS Rebuild. Do you know what Setup you want yet? I like the Laeger Idea.

400MXer
04-16-2002, 06:34 PM
yeah....i took a whole role of film just of my quad...and the parts. I will take them to get developed tomorrow!

Dave400ex
04-16-2002, 06:45 PM
Ok Sweet. I can`t Wait to see it.

Foxrage
04-16-2002, 07:40 PM
I didnt think he did the rear rebuild??? I think the herman is awsome they are as strong as laeger probly and Mo likes them better than his laegers. I like the looks alot moer looks like the lobo.

Dave400ex
04-16-2002, 08:15 PM
Yeah I know 400MXer did the ZPS Rear Rebuild.

I`m sure the Herrmann Stuff is good, but if you get Standard A-Arms I would get Laeger. I`m sure Mo does like his Herrmann better because they are Long Travel. I think Laeger needs to make Long Travel A-Arms if he wants to keep doing good. Mo`s does look like a Lobo.

400MXer
04-16-2002, 10:51 PM
I had my rear rebuilt to ZPS, they work great too...soak up everything, and they are so plush on landings.....also, they are much more forgiving, i can land all funny and be just fine, but if i had stock shocks...i owuld have wrecked.

mrusk
04-17-2002, 07:33 AM
Laeger Long Travel = T pin

matt

400MXer
04-17-2002, 02:51 PM
i think warriorMan was talking about a laeger long travel for the 400ex. they don't make a T-pin for the 400 yet.

Leo
04-17-2002, 03:40 PM
My Herrman +1's arrived today..

Very clean welding, beefy ball-joints, absolutely beautifull powdercoating job (I hate to put them on the quad!)..

Going to pick up my frame, etc.. from the powdercoaters, I'll post pics when I get home :D :D

Leo

Foxrage
04-17-2002, 03:47 PM
What did you get leo lt or standard? Are you going to get some elka shocks too. Everyone has them why not you. LOL Cant wait to see your 400. What colors are you going with.

Foxrage
04-17-2002, 07:18 PM
Ok well im positivly sure on what to goet yet but i want to know what colors i should get frame a-ams etc. Also instaed of a swing arm should i get fullbore plastic. and just sell mine and save up for a new swing arm or some motor mods. Opinions are great this way.

Dave400ex
04-17-2002, 07:25 PM
I know the only way to get Laeger in Long Travel is the T-Pin. I am saying Laeger needs to make Long Travel A-Arms like Houser, Herrmann, or Gibson. Not many people can afford a T-Pin. If Laeger started making Long Travel A-Arms they would be a Best Seller. Everybody knows Laeger is one of the Best, if not the Best.

Leo
04-17-2002, 10:09 PM
I got standard travel, +1's...

He had a set in stock already powdercoated black, so I called the shop that was doing my frame and had that done in black also..

So now I have gloss black a-arms, frame, subframe, and swingarm.. If I was thinking I would have had the hubs done to.. Completely slipped my mind !

Leo

Foxrage
04-18-2002, 04:07 AM
Sounds great.

mrusk
04-18-2002, 07:41 AM
My herrmann +2+1 black bottoms and silver metallic tops should be here later today. if they are i will take a pic and try to figure out how to post in on here. I cant wait to see them!!

matt

Dave400ex
04-18-2002, 07:14 PM
I want to see a Picture Mrusk. Does Herrmann do Chrome Tops?

Glamis400ex
04-18-2002, 07:19 PM
I spoke with Brad from Herrmann Racing this afternoon and I also asked him if he did chroming. He said no, and the reason is, they haven't found a chroming shop that will do the kind/quality of work they want. Sounds like they are commited to the highest quality products possible. That's awesome. I just may be placing an order shortly for some +2's for the 400ex.........

Later...

Glamis

mrusk
04-18-2002, 07:23 PM
The powdercoating job on these is second to none! Absolutly perfect!! I got black bottoms and a very nice silver metallic top. These aarms are beefy!!! And the shape of them is awesome. I cant wait to get them mounted up!

matt

Dave400ex
04-18-2002, 07:27 PM
Well take some Pictures. LOL.

mrusk
04-18-2002, 07:29 PM
I'll get some this weekend.

matt

Foxrage
04-18-2002, 08:22 PM
Sounds great guys i just wish they did chroming. What color sheme should i get. Should i get a swing arm or fullbore. Heres what i thinkin so far. Houser or herman a-arms and stem, elka quadrates and mac dady brake lines and fullbore plastic and sell my maier and save for motor work. For colors i want red frame read a-arms w chrome top, chrome stem, prism black sub frame and oil tank. and Dark blue fulbore.