PDA

View Full Version : PC/Stereo Hookups...

blondie69
10-03-2004, 03:03 PM
Needin' help with hook-ups.

#1 Okay, here in the near future, I would like to buy some hook up for my pc so my pc sorta acts like a t.v, like I can hook game systems up, vcr's/dvd players, and maybe cable. How do I do that? One of my friends has a hook-up for that (and I think u have to get a card too?), what r they called? How much do they cost? Or any other info I would needa know about em..

#2 I would also like some hook-up for my pc so I have some cable n connect it to my stereo. How would I go about doin that? And how much would that cost?? Cuz IMO that'd save me money of having to buy cd's n burning them, just burn them every once in awhile, and just play songs on my stereo..

Thanx ya very much u guys. I just wanna get this done sometime before the summer, before I move out (I know, I got a lil ways to go haha. But I just needa start knowin the prices so I can save up..). Cuz I don't feel like buyin a tv and I'm gonna be in a dorm (needa save space..), I'd rather just soop up my p.c. By June mom n dad r gettin me a major pc upgrade for graduating anyways, so it'll probably run better then, then it would now. Also I'll be buyin a dvd burner/player too for my pc, but that won't be for awhile..

Ralph
10-03-2004, 03:30 PM
i rigged up a wire that is a head phone jack on one side, then wired it to one with 2 plugs(red/white) then conected it to end with the 2 plugs again into the back of my steroe system. This may be confuding i know. Im sure you can buy something like this but i just rigged it all one day when i was bored.

blondie69
10-03-2004, 03:39 PM
That might just work....

Not confusing at all, don't worry bout it. I love electrical stuff, so I may just end up doing that. I never thought about that before, thanxs:)

blondie69
10-04-2004, 05:19 AM
Bumpity bump bump...

MrTrendy1
10-04-2004, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by blondie69
Needin' help with hook-ups.

#1 Okay, here in the near future, I would like to buy some hook up for my pc so my pc sorta acts like a t.v, like I can hook game systems up, vcr's/dvd players, and maybe cable. How do I do that? One of my friends has a hook-up for that (and I think u have to get a card too?), what r they called? How much do they cost? Or any other info I would needa know about em..

To do something like this, I am assuming that you want to use the computer to display all the dvds/vcr/etc on the monitor, you need to have some type of video input. A lot of newer video cards have a S-Video out but some also have a input. You can buy a card that will allow you to do video input for around $50 bucks or so. As for the sound, that is going to require something to pull in the input. Most sound cards do a type of line input which you could use a stereo to mini-plug connection to do this, around $5 bucks or so. To hook up multiple devices you'll need a switch box to hook up the game systems, dvd, and etc to it. Those are probably around $20 bucks. To really do this all good, I think you'll spend the money on a good video capture card or new video card all together, a switch box that does digital audio, and a sound card that has digital audio inputs. All of that is available but you are going to spend around $500 to do it the proper way.

#2 I would also like some hook-up for my pc so I have some cable n connect it to my stereo. How would I go about doin that? And how much would that cost?? Cuz IMO that'd save me money of having to buy cd's n burning them, just burn them every once in awhile, and just play songs on my stereo..

This could also be done with a stereo to mini-plug connection. Using the speaker output on the sound card you just plug the cable into the stereo and use it that way. If you have a new surround sound receiver or something, I suggest getting that new sound card that has digital audio output so you can have the effects of the dvd and etc..

Hope this helps you out. I can send you links to the items you'll need, either the cheaper way or the more expensive way if you need.

Regular_Joe
10-04-2004, 10:43 AM
I'd get a full fledged stereo reciever. Most new one will have audio and video switching. Then just pump the main video out to the video card on the computer.

blondie69
10-04-2004, 12:35 PM
Hmmm, alot of this stuff sounds complicated. Guess I'll have to go to my pc guy and get him to help me out, he'll know it all. But for the whole pc-stereo thing...I tried wiring up something last night, to plug into my headphone jack in my pc...but in the back of my stereo, there's no auxilary jacks, there's 1 thing left, but that's for a 3rd speaker. In the front there's the red white and yellow jacks. I tried gearing up something with the white & red ones (audio)...but I couldn't get it, and dad tried helpin. Couldn't get it, hmm

MrTrendy1
10-04-2004, 12:53 PM
Well, I am a computer guy. At least thats what I do 8 hours a day M-F. During the evenings I work for Best Buy selling home theater products. So I know just a little bit of info. If you really need some detailed help Tegan just shoot me a PM or something. I'll be glad to help you out!

blondie69
10-04-2004, 12:56 PM
Wow, thank you very much, you just may be the perfect guy I'm lookin for!:blah: Haha, you work with both sides of the problems here:D

My main concern right now though is gettin my pc hooked up to my stereo. I don't know how to wire it right or something. I'm gonna check all my wiring here in a bit to make sure it's not shorting out or anything:eek2: But when I splice the wire for the av connections or whatever they're called (the red & white wires), one is wrapped in plastic and the other isn't, I don't know if just wire both of them up, or have only one wired (and if so what one?) and just stuff like that. Also I dunno if I have the right gauge wires...like I took some diff stuff...so that's why I'm sayin I'm gonna check it all here in a bit..

Doibugu2
10-04-2004, 01:07 PM
This is what you need to plug your computer into your stereo.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F007%5F002%5F003%5F009&product%5Fid=42%2D2551

Plug the one end into the back of your computer where your speakers goes and then plug the other end into the front of your stereo with the red and white. Pretty easy.

blondie69
10-04-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
This is what you need to plug your computer into your stereo.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F007%5F002%5F003%5F009&product%5Fid=42%2D2551

Plug the one end into the back of your computer where your speakers goes and then plug the other end into the front of your stereo with the red and white. Pretty easy.

Yaaaa that'd probably be a LOT easier wouldn't it:blah: (and not too expensive..) Only thing is 6' isn't nearly enough to go across my room...I need easily 12' (15' to be safe...)...next time I go in radio shack...I can see if they do have longer ones, if they don't, see if they're able to tell me somewhere that does.

Doibugu2
10-04-2004, 01:24 PM
You can get an extension to get whatever length you need.

blondie69
10-04-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
You can get an extension to get whatever length you need.

Right on then, thank u very much, that solves that problem then!!:D :)

Now just for the hook up's for my pc so it's like a t.v...hmm, I don't needa worry bout that so much right now, that's not something I can do on my own anyways. So yea, thank ya all u guys!:D

Doibugu2
10-04-2004, 01:36 PM
Here is what you need to watch TV on your computer. The cards vary greatly in price, so do your homework.

MrTrendy1
10-04-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by blondie69
Wow, thank you very much, you just may be the perfect guy I'm lookin for!:blah:

Haha, don't get my hopes up!

All you really need is that Y-Adapter. Hook up the red and white to the back of the stereo and then take the mini-plug jack and put it in where your speakers would normal plug in. You could also plug it into the headphone jack as well, it should work that way. Double check the settings on the computer to make sure that the jack isn't muted on the headphones. Sometimes they are set default muted.

The only thing I could think that would stop it from working would be if the sound card is really new and it's one of those 5.1 surround sound cards. Then it's a little different, nothing major just different.

blondie69
10-04-2004, 01:56 PM
Well thank ya very much, and sorry for gettin your hopes up:p With all this info, I should be able to get it all hooked up...hopefully by Friday @ the latest:D

MrTrendy1
10-04-2004, 01:59 PM
If you can't, you know you got a few people who can help you out a little.