PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys got some 400ex q's

400exbiggun
10-03-2004, 12:38 PM
Well i havent been here is a long time...well i visited but didnt post really anything for a while. I was experimenting with different brands and am coming back to honda.

Anyway i USED to have a 99 ex, but sold that...actually traded it.

Now i want to get another again.

My question is im looking for a 01 or newer only. When do you guys think its time for a rebuild?:confused:

also if i get one, im going to do some chassis work like a lt front end and axis rear shocks, then ride the piss outta it till it needs a topend.

Anyway my friend has a 465ex and a 500ex flat tracker. They do all their rebuilds, so i know he will help put it in for me.

My question is whats the power difference between a stock 400 with like a pipe and filter compared to a 416ex with a pipe and filter?

also i like to ride ALL DAY. we ride sometimes 6-7 hrs per day...will the 416 overheat?

hope someone can answer these questions

atvracr350
10-03-2004, 05:33 PM
Glad you came back to your senses and came to honda again. But anyways bout your questions. I have a 406 bore in my 400ex (see sig for details) and i could defenetly feel a difference in my power. It was a whole lot faster than just with a pipe and filter. I don't think that a 416 will "overheat" but it will run hotter than your stock 400 will. If you are worried about it then just get a bigger oil tank up front and maybe some air scoops. With those installed you will have no problem with it getting too hot. O yea and as far as a 400ex "needing" a rebuild, i would say not for many many years. This is a very reliable engine and can take a lot of abuse. I hope i helped. just ask if you have anymore questions. -Kyle

boystoys
10-03-2004, 07:41 PM
sorry to get a little off subject but is a 406 still dependable? i lam looking for pants ripping low end power... so far i have a 14T front sproket, uni filter... this week i am ordering a HMF slip on then to the dyno for jetting i also have thoes little filter plugs that you drill 1" holes in your airbox and pop um in.......

anyhow i downt want to have to do anything special to my 400.. just ride.. so the 440 kits are definatly out of the question...

oh and are the stroked 400 tempermental... i am thinking stroked, poted/polished 406.... :devil:

EXrider65
10-04-2004, 04:09 PM
Put a 13-tooth in the front if you want torque thats what I run and I ride mild to heavy woods/hills

atvracr350
10-04-2004, 09:18 PM
boystoys i will defenetly say that i was in your exact position i wanted power but didn't want to sacrifice reliability. I bought a std bore piston that would up my compression but not hurt reliability but come to find out my cylinder needed to be bored and i told the man that i wanted it to be reliable and he said that a 406 is the most reliable bore you can have. He said it is just as reliable as stock as long as the bore is done good. That is just my 2 cents. But i was gonna go with just a std bore piston if my cylinder out of shape and needed to be bored. So far i haven't had any trouble with mine and i ride wide open most of the time.