PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new starter?

oriclez
10-03-2004, 10:32 AM
Well my 300ex is acting up. At first I figured it was the solenoid freezing up. I ran it without the solenoid though, and it still had the problem. So I figured it was the battery couldn't hold a charge(even when I just charged it, it wouldn't work). Mine was getting old and beaten up anyways and I wanted to replace it. I bought a new one and hooked it up. It still does the same thing. Is there anyway to test if my starter is bad? I figured I'd get a heavy duty starter instead of rebuilding mine due to the work done on my quad.

PS: What it does is i go to start it, and hold the start button. It turns over once, and thats it, I keep holding the start button down and it does nothing else.

mojoe2878
10-03-2004, 11:04 AM
you can test the starter by hooking up the charger and using the positive cable hit the starter directly on the terminal wire. if it doesnt turn over like normal then its goin out, if it does turn over good then its something else in the electrical system. check the push button. if you dont have a heavy duty type charger then you may need to use a heavy guage wire hooked directly to your positive battery term. to do the test or a car battery with jumper cables.

oriclez
10-03-2004, 01:00 PM
Well I took off my startor cover. It looks like the gears are getting jammed up. Not quiet sure what is causing that. Does anyone happen to know? I am thinking I might have to take my left crank case cover off and check it out.

oriclez
10-03-2004, 08:53 PM
up

oriclez
10-04-2004, 05:47 PM
up