PDA

View Full Version : Turbo

coyn0839
10-02-2004, 06:42 PM
Has anyone seen this (http://www.kmsturbo.com/main.html) or used it. Any experience on the performance and dependability?

kicken250x
10-02-2004, 07:09 PM
they have a z400 beside the 400ex thing...

sparks400
10-03-2004, 01:01 AM
i saw a turbo on a banshee in a old dirtwheels

YZ400EX
10-03-2004, 02:36 AM
I have seen a Blaster with a rigged up car turbo on it at the dunes here once..It seemed to create a signifcant amount of power, but I dont know how long the motor would last no matter what that site says..The Blaster hauled though..Not good low end, but mid to top end was freakin incredible..I would never pay as much as this site wants though..It wouldnt be worth it to ruin my motor faster..Just my opinion though..

torqen2k1
10-03-2004, 10:36 AM
That is way to much money for that little power. people are gettin more all motor. if I was to boost my motor I would drop the compression to 8:5:1 and get nice thick head gasket and beafer head studs and boost the crap out of it.http://www.paatving.com/Articles/turbo400ex/turbo400ex.asp
check this bad boy out. Way better set up!

Juggalo
10-03-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by torqen2k1
That is way to much money for that little power. people are gettin more all motor. if I was to boost my motor I would drop the compression to 8:5:1 and get nice thick head gasket and beafer head studs and boost the crap out of it.http://www.paatving.com/Articles/turbo400ex/turbo400ex.asp
check this bad boy out. Way better set up!

thats not a better setup at all..you have to have the turbo all stickin out and stuff and it would cost way more to have that set up then the KMS setup. my buddy is gettin a turbo put on his 416ex right now (not kms..another company that is coming out with turbo kits) and i can tell you right now the kms and the one my buddy is getting is a much better setup than that one. the place thats doing my buddys has a turbo sportsman 700 and a turbo foreman and they both doubled in horsepower. the kit is a very fair price when you consider how much you'd have to spend to normally double your horsepower.

fastkid400
10-03-2004, 08:48 PM
ssssssssssss waBOOM at about 25 lbs. boost:eek2:

RAPTORAZ
10-03-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by coyn0839
Has anyone seen this (http://www.kmsturbo.com/main.html) or used it. Any experience on the performance and dependability?

I've seen and raced KMS' turboed 400EX with my 727 Raptor. It's a very well designed setup. While I did beat it with my Raptor, it was in it's early testing stages and was definately not running at it's best.

Since then. I've also seen their Raptor test bike. And with an internally stock motor and 14psi of boost, it beat every 4 stroke at Glamis. And all but the nastiest drag Banshee's as well.

Suffice it to say, If their 400EX kit is now as good as their Raptor kit, it's definately worth the money. You wouldn't be able to build a naturally aspirated motor that could touch it. At least not one that would have any reliability to it.

nosliw
10-03-2004, 09:42 PM
seems like with 4 grand i can make better power than that thing....

YZ400EX
10-03-2004, 10:24 PM
hey guys check this out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2492561087&category=43977

Here is a much cheaper alternative..

GP400
10-04-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by 440EXGUY
hey guys check this out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2492561087&category=43977

Here is a much cheaper alternative..

That's not a pretty set up. No intercooler - that things going to blow a lot of hot air into an engine that already has cooling problems when ran hard. The turbo location is not a good idea either. I bet it would melt the plastic under the seat. Looks like he is using a carb also. Air/Fuel would be a nightmare. But its cheap....

xsr_racing28c
10-04-2004, 07:15 PM
if you guys no anything about turbos, you know that any turboed vehicle is not going to have the low end power of a modded all motor one.. this is 100% due to "turbo lag".... on a small motor such as one of an atv, turbo lag is going to be an issue no matter what... it is amazing how much boost those kits are actually stating they put out though...

i drive an 03 EVO 8 (AWD 2.0L. dohc 4g63 turbo) all the time and those of you that know anything about these cars know that they are quick, but without launching the vehicle off of a start, the car will lag like crazy and most likely be out of any running in a race..but with the right RPM launch they are unstopable .... just the other night i smoked a WS6 , an 01 camaro SS, and an 04 corvette 50th anniversary.... turbos are awesome but on an atv, i don't think it is really worth it unless you are strickly dragging... just my $.02 ~jason

coyn0839
10-05-2004, 07:19 AM
Ok, so i'm not that knowledgable on turbo systems so pardon my ignorance but is there anything that can be done to help compensate for turbo lag?

khen
10-05-2004, 10:09 AM
In theory you should be able to just ride it like you would a 2 stroke.. You would have to work the clutch and shift more to keep the revs up.

YZ400EX
10-05-2004, 11:07 AM
There is no real compensation for turbo lag accept for getting the turbo spooling with the rpms up and ride the heck out of your clutch..Thats the only real way..You will get faster launches this way, but you will still not have the bottom end of a naturally aspirated engine..the turbo is really meant for mid range power..

Juggalo
10-05-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by xsr_racing28c
if you guys no anything about turbos, you know that any turboed vehicle is not going to have the low end power of a modded all motor one.. this is 100% due to "turbo lag".... on a small motor such as one of an atv, turbo lag is going to be an issue no matter what... it is amazing how much boost those kits are actually stating they put out though...

i drive an 03 EVO 8 (AWD 2.0L. dohc 4g63 turbo) all the time and those of you that know anything about these cars know that they are quick, but without launching the vehicle off of a start, the car will lag like crazy and most likely be out of any running in a race..but with the right RPM launch they are unstopable .... just the other night i smoked a WS6 , an 01 camaro SS, and an 04 corvette 50th anniversary.... turbos are awesome but on an atv, i don't think it is really worth it unless you are strickly dragging... just my $.02 ~jason

my buddy has a WRX STI and that thing barely has any noticeable turbo lag at all..i think your exxagerating the lag on your evo a little bit my friend.

and to the guy that posted the link on ebay...thats quite simialar to the setup my friend is getting however that one there looks way ghetto rigged and the one hes getting is professional. and no it doesnt melt the seat or the plastic. it actually spools up pretty fast too even tho there is a noticeable lag (its not bad tho) my friend described the experience of riding it like this "its like a 400ex when you start off but once the turbo spools up it feels like your riding a banshee on steroids. it just suddenly takes off and its crazy as hell" i cant wait till its 100 percent finished..its gonna be sweeeet

DaleJrFan
10-05-2004, 06:11 PM
my local atv dealer has a buddy in california that has a patent currently pending on a turbo for banshees', the guy claims that it will work on any drag bike and you can put it on your quad for every day riding. it will be interesting to see but the down side is that it will cost around $1500.

torqen2k1
10-05-2004, 08:24 PM
If you pick the right A/R turbo size you wont have much lag.

exatak199
10-05-2004, 10:58 PM
About the turbo lag the bigger turbo you have the more lag you will have like if you took a turbo like the one that was in the ebay link that thing would take for ever to spool up just because the turbine on the exhaust side is big witch takes more exhaust to more to move it faster and if you have a turbo that is too small it will not create enough boost to make a big difference in your hp. If you took a turbo off of a Honda cx500 turbo (street bike that was made some time in the 80s) that would be about perfect for a 400EX. If I were going to do a turbo 400EX I would tear it down and put a heavy-duty connecting rod and an 8:1 compression piston, a low end camshaft to compensate for the lost bottom end hp and take a turbo off a turbo street bike and stick it as close to the engine as possible (like where the one on in the link from paatving.com) between the engine and where the stock oil reservoir is, have a custom oil reservoir made that sits lower in the frame and the turbo there then have the intercooler some where up front with a big oil cooler in front of it. With the head taped the oil line running into the turbo then thought the oil cooler then back to the rezzy. Also I saw a 480EX with a EFI kit that would be killer on a turbo kit all the jetting night mares would be gone all so it would be a very good idea to have a boost gage, an oil temp gage and a exhaust temp gage and if you run EFI you wouldn't need a fuel presser gage. I think I’m done for now!:blah:

xsr_racing28c
10-06-2004, 08:58 AM
hey juggalo, odviously you have never ridden in a turboed car other than that STi... even that Sti has alot of lag compared to others.... i know a guy that has a twin turboed supra converted to a single T-88 ball bearing Garett, and it has a huge front mount... this car has virtually no turbo lag do to the awesome tuning done on the car.... the Sti and the EVO from the factory are detuned to the max... these cars have the capability to produce no lag, but from the factory they have a significant amount.... the EVO's boost was bumped up to 21.5 psi, from about 18.5, and it has reduced the amount of lag, due to the greddy type-s BOV, and some tuning with the ecu... ecu is going to be re-flashed soon, and this should alleviate some more of the lag... on a machine with a turbo , all i know to do to defeat lag, is to either get a larger intercooler, tune the electronics, or get a really nice BOV and play with the hard and soft settings... all these little things help!!!

i am not a pro on turbos by no means, but i sure as hell know how to drive a turboed vehicle... it takes time and skill to get these types of motors to run at top spec, but it is possible...

just for kicks, go out and drive yur buddies STi and then find someone with a turboed Grand National and tell me they are the same...lol ... totally different, but if you know how to drive both , you are set.... every turboed machine is different, and there are so many setups it is hard to say exactly what to do, but take it from the perspective of a few different vehicles and you might be able to figure it out...~jason

Juggalo
10-06-2004, 02:35 PM
jason your right i dont have a whole lot of experience in turbo cars. the only other turbo car i have rode in was an old trans am with the turbo 301..and yeah there was a huge difference there of course.

TheFontMaster
10-06-2004, 04:05 PM
One thing I noticed a couple people saying is that they would lower thier compresion. For a turbo that is not needed. If it were to be super charged then you would need about 8.5:1 compresion. Super chargers and turbo chargers are different, and turbo doen;t need to have the compresion lowerd.

Juggalo
10-06-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
One thing I noticed a couple people saying is that they would lower thier compresion. For a turbo that is not needed. If it were to be super charged then you would need about 8.5:1 compresion. Super chargers and turbo chargers are different, and turbo doen;t need to have the compresion lowerd.

thats not true. turbos and superchargers do the exact same thing (force compressed air into the cylinder). the only difference is a supercharger works off a belt driven by the motor and a turbo works from exhaust gas spinning the impeller. other wise they do the exact same thing and you do need lower compression

TheFontMaster
10-06-2004, 06:08 PM
Well out if the things I have read and heard I haven't heard of you needing to lower compression on turbos. Just on super chargers. I don't mean to flame this is just what I have heard.

torqen2k1
10-06-2004, 10:24 PM
WOW what ever ur reading stop reading! On all boosted cars you want a low comp. Because if you have a high comp you will start to blow head gaskets left and right. the higher the comp is the less psi ur gona run. tuning is the key.

bansheeke
10-07-2004, 01:32 PM
any forced air(ie turbo/supercharged) motor is SHOULD have lower compression. You can run more boost and typically make more power if you build it right.
My grand national and my turbo-t had no problem spooling up. There is a ton of factors in that though. Vacuum leaks, converter, cam etc. Tons of variables. Both cars were torque MONSTERS i made power down low..not all turbos are up high.

I would tell all of you that have no experience with turbo's to stay away from turbo kits. They usually require an person with advanved knowledge on them. Tuning would be an absolute nightmare.

MY450R
10-08-2004, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Juggalo
thats not true. turbos and superchargers do the exact same thing (force compressed air into the cylinder). the only difference is a supercharger works off a belt driven by the motor and a turbo works from exhaust gas spinning the impeller. other wise they do the exact same thing and you do need lower compression
:huh :huh sorry to inform you but you are wrong!!!
super chargers force air into the engine and turbos force exaust out of the engine.they are not the same thing at all in fact they aren't even close
im not flaming just stating facts so i appologize if its not what you wanted to hear

GP400
10-08-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by MY450R
super chargers force air into the engine and turbos force exaust out of the engine.they are not the same thing at all in fact they aren't even close
im not flaming just stating facts so i appologize if its not what you wanted to hear

Not so. Turbochargers also force air into the engine. The exhaust gas is used to spin the turbo which in turn which in turn pulls air from the intake then compressing it and forcing it into the engine at a higher than atmospheric pressure. That's why it's called boost, not vacuum.....

red2004 TRX450R
10-08-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by coyn0839
Ok, so i'm not that knowledgable on turbo systems so pardon my ignorance but is there anything that can be done to help compensate for turbo lag?

NOS

red2004 TRX450R
10-08-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by MY450R

he is saying turbos suck!!

LOL that is funny !!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D :p

A roots super charger (big thing on top of blown cars) looks a lot different than a centrifugal super charger (paxton). But the centrifugal super charger is just like a turbo but the paxton uses a belt drive and the turbo has a another housing that exust gas passes through instead of the pulley.
And super chargers don’t need blow off values and waste gates like a turbo because the super charger spins at the same rate, as the motor so extra boost is not an issue.

wilkin250r
10-11-2004, 01:06 PM
I know the basic theory behind turbos, but I've never personally worked with them. How do you get them to work on carbureted engines? The very principle of a carburetor is the Venturi effect, which requires the intake to be at a lower pressure then the surrounding environment and the float bowl. Do you also pressurize the float bowl to compensate?

red2004 TRX450R
10-11-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I know the basic theory behind turbos, but I've never personally worked with them. How do you get them to work on carbureted engines? The very principle of a carburetor is the Venturi effect, which requires the intake to be at a lower pressure then the surrounding environment and the float bowl. Do you also pressurize the float bowl to compensate?

2 ways to use a carburetor with a turbo engine...draw-through or blow-through

blow through - from what I have seen and read u have to put the whole carburetor in a box and pump the boost in to the box!! and is the best way

or draw throught sumply put the turbo after the carb, but the air and fule gets spun up by the turbo.

http://www.orientexpress.com/newPDFs/Turbo.pdf
http://www.dune-buggy.com/turbo/carbureted.htm

see here http://www.paxtonauto.com/systems.asp?Action=GetPart&Part=1001839
,the uper left corner is the carb box ,they put the carb in a box - this is a supercharger but

I have no idea how to do it on a quad!!!!!!!
id not do it, uless it is a kit for a company that knows what they are doing!!!

my friend got a turbo kit off ebay for his VR6 VW and it was not compleat and yes he did blow the doors off a cobra mustang, now it is not running right and he will have to send the hole car to the company that sold it to him to get it to run right!!!