PDA

View Full Version : gasket mod trouble

lilpoppy
10-02-2004, 11:05 AM
I did the gasket mod where you use no base gasket and only one of the three layers of the OEM gasket and yesterday the oem gasket blew. I havn't taken it apart yet so I don't have any idea why these gaskets are still blowing but I am thinking about just going with the regular OEM gasket so I don't get stranded on a trip with no quad. My question is does it make any difference if I run the regular OEM gasket with no base gasket and does it have to be retorqued after a few hours?

F-16Guy
10-02-2004, 11:11 AM
My suggestion would be to call Cometic and buy the thinnest head and base gaskets available. If you use the flex-steel (laminated steel) head gasket, you don't need to retorque, if you use the fiber one, you do.

lilpoppy
10-02-2004, 11:32 AM
I have run the commetic gasket already and it blew when my head studs pulled. After that I installed heavy duty studs and did the gasket mod with no base gasket and I would rather not remove the cylinder unless I really have to.

gojk
10-02-2004, 01:02 PM
I had to get the heavy duty head studs when I did this mod also. Once I got the studs in I haven't had any trouble with it.

F-16Guy
10-02-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by lilpoppy
I have run the commetic gasket already and it blew when my head studs pulled. After that I installed heavy duty studs and did the gasket mod with no base gasket and I would rather not remove the cylinder unless I really have to.
Then either just go with the thinnest head gasket you can get, or try the mod again. Did you spray the one layer with high temp paint (such as BBQ paint)? Maybe you need to have the head surfaced to make sure the gasket surface is true. I haven't tried the mod yet, but it sounds like it could be a little hit-and-miss. Using gasket maker for a base gasket also makes me a little uneasy. I would be afraid that it would squeeze out into the oil passage for the cam and starve the top end for oil.

lilpoppy
10-02-2004, 07:19 PM
Yeah I did use the high temp paint on the gasket. I'm gonna check the head and see if it is warped or if the head bolts backed out. If it is neather of those I'm just gonna try the same thing again and hope it holds.