PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a 250R

Blown 331
10-02-2004, 06:07 AM
Well it's acutally the 2nd one I've had and they were both ATC's, I like death traps. lol. My first one was a beater and this one is almost show room condition, I paid for this one too! Ouch! Any way don't know much about 2-strokes. I know how they work and how to rebuild them but I need some performance tips.
It has a DG pipe and Boyessen reeds. Still has a stock piston! Well the pipe has to go. Who makes a good ATC pipe? And the carb is stock with the air box lid on. I guess taking the air box lid off and re-jetting is a good idea? Help me out here. Oh yeah it is a 1985 liquid cooled. I also need an entire head light assmebly if anyone knows where I can find one.

deathman53
10-02-2004, 08:21 AM
the atc's are returning to value. I have a 86 atc with esr 330, lsr axle, carrier, hubs, v-force reeds, 38 a/s, gonna soon have a short track kit, cr250r ignition, esr pipe, wave rotors all kinds of goos stuff. I would get a esr atc5 pipe and you need to call about the silencer(its available), take off the airbox lid, 38 a/s carb(if you can afford). you might want to check out www.3wheeler.org and also www.3wheelerworld.com. I mx my trike, you gotta see the look on the preople's faces, especailly as I pass and outjump them.

deathman53
10-02-2004, 08:26 AM
http://www.pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/deathman53/330r+8-15.JPG.html
http://www.pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/deathman53/Img_0284.jpg.html
http://www.pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/deathman53/200x+6-20-04.JPG.html

can't forget some pics!!

Tom TRX250R
10-02-2004, 01:39 PM
My buddy has an 86 ATC and they rip!!! I would agree with deathman for the ESR TRX5 pipe for it. I have an ESR pipe on my TRX and IMO they are the best pipes for the money. Excellent power and great fit!!!! I would take off the air box lid and rejet or just buy an air box eliminator kit from ESR. Buy a CR 250r or V-force reed cage. Also a great carb for these motors are the 38 mm airstryker carb. If you want to spend more money a good port/polish helps alot too or a big bore kit. After that you should be rippin *** with that set up.

Deathman 53. I bet your ESR 330 ATC is crazy fast. The stock bore atc of buddies is crazy fast as it is. I bet yours is wicked. Also how do you jump that thing so high. I jump my TRX high but I don't trust trying to land on three wheels from that high. Do you try to land more on the back wheels first or ?? I have seen so many people eat **** on ATC's trying to jump them. The highest I have ever jumped that ATC is about 3-4 feet and that was high enough for me. We just use it more as a drag bike. Sweet looking ATC by the way.

deathman53
10-02-2004, 04:58 PM
I was at chatts today, clearing the "big" jumps easily and over shooting it too a few times. I land on all three wheels, sometimes I screwup and land on the front, and also on the rear, but I made it each time.

310Rduner
10-02-2004, 08:57 PM
Do not consider buying a cr reed cage, it will fit up but you are certain to be spending some money after your motor snaps the reeds. DO NOT put cr 250 reed cages on R's. I also give a recommendation to esr for the pipe, and any other motor work you want done. They are real honest guys and won't jerk you aren't with bad customer service or anything like that. There is a good reason that there are almost ZERO complaints about Esr. If you are going all out on the motor, go with a cr250 ignition, air box eliminator, atc-5 pipe (or atc-11 for total top end power), a 38mm or 39 mm carb either airstryker or mikuni tmx, bump the compression/race gas, aftermarket cylinder or port your stocker. If you go big bore, do NOT neglect your transmission, especially giving a thorough check over the counter-balancer, crank bearings/rod bearings, clutch (Just buy a Hinson and not worry) and water pump. Also consider a larger radiator and esr temperature gauge so you can keep an eye on the engine temperature.

deathman53
10-03-2004, 07:13 PM
I heard that about cr250 cages, I never knew esr made a atc-11 pipe, I thought only the atc-5, only get the airbox eliminator if you only ride sand, I gotta call them if they make a big bore atc pipe. If you don't mind not having lights the cr igntion is great

Roostin250R
10-04-2004, 08:36 AM
Well, ok, I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in here. I've been running a CR reed cage on my 89 250R with the stock reeds for over 2 years. Not one reed problem to date. Maybe I'm lucky :D This is on a .80 over heavy ported, ESR pipe, 38 airstryker carb engine.

310ESR
10-04-2004, 09:51 AM
Hey Blown I saw 2 on e-bay yesterday. I'd call ESR (559) 625-3157 and talk to them about pipes, the last time I was there they had a couple of atc pipes hanging up. Also don't be scared of a cr reed cage, I got mine from ESR and I love it. My 2 cents

Tom TRX250R
10-04-2004, 01:41 PM
I currently run a Rad Valve but I have two buddies with R's that currently run the CR 250 reed cage and reeds and have never had one problem at of them. They have ran them for a couple years now without any reeds breaking so I don't know where you heard that from unless you installed it wrong somehow:huh I have also talked to several flat track racers at local tracks that run that exact set up. The CR 250 set up runs great and I can't find any difference between this and the Rad valve I am currently running.

Blown 331
10-05-2004, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the help, I'll try that ESR ATC-5 pipe. My buddy also has a TRX250R with a 36mm flat slide. He just ordered an air stryker so I think I might try his old carb. I have the stock 34mm round slide. What about an after marketed head for compression? I still have a stock piston which is only 8.0 to 1 compression.

Tom TRX250R
10-06-2004, 07:16 PM
An after market head will do night and day difference for your low end. My friend with an R just milled his stock head and running CR head gasket and it pulls hard on low end now. I just purchased an ESR cool head but haven't put it on yet. I 'll let you know how I like it:D

Roostin250R
10-07-2004, 06:45 AM
An aftermarket head won't help you much performance wise unless you run a higher compression dome in it. Yes they will help you run cooler, but the Rs don't really have a cooling problem with the stock head. Unless yours is running hot all the time, I would suggest you save your money and either shave your stock head and/or run the thinner ATC head gasket. I have a Prodesign cool head on mine with a 21cc dome in it so I can run on pump gas. If you want more compression, you'll need to go to a smaller like a 19cc or so. I have run my stock shaved head and my cool head and I can't tell much if any difference in performance.

Blown 331
10-07-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Roostin250R
An aftermarket head won't help you much performance wise unless you run a higher compression dome in it. Yes they will help you run cooler, but the Rs don't really have a cooling problem with the stock head. Unless yours is running hot all the time, I would suggest you save your money and either shave your stock head and/or run the thinner ATC head gasket. I have a Prodesign cool head on mine with a 21cc dome in it so I can run on pump gas. If you want more compression, you'll need to go to a smaller like a 19cc or so. I have run my stock shaved head and my cool head and I can't tell much if any difference in performance.

What do you mean by an ATC gasket? I have an ATC. Thought it was the same motor anyway.

Tom TRX250R
10-07-2004, 07:55 PM
That is what I meant by having a cool head is to have a high compression dome in it so it will require race gas. I know it helps out a lot in low end. To answer your question about the ATC gasket, the CR gasket is thinnest, ATC second thinnest, and TRX stock head gasket is the thickest. I have even heard about people splitting the stock TRX gasket (3 pc) and using the two outer pieces. You will really notice a lot of improvement with the ESR pipe and high compression head.

Plante400
10-07-2004, 10:59 PM
Man if that isnt the badest thing ive ever seen.. I have never seen someone jump an ATC like that. Im not gonna lie im impressed :huh

Roostin250R
10-08-2004, 08:04 AM
Yes, the CR is the thinnest gasket, I have used just one side of the TRX gasket. I works great, just be sure you cote both sides real good with sealer to avoid any leaks. I wasn't sure you were running the stock ATC gasket in your trike.

deathman53
10-08-2004, 04:50 PM
I'm gonna have some new pics, a friend is coming to the track on sunday with the camera and video camera.